Comments and suggestions to improve the site.

INVISIBLE BASE

INVISIBLE BASE

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:07 pm

So we have all our skin tone bases
And the different skin tone bases
Okay, what say we want to be a ghosts where only clothes and wig are visible
Or we want to be a floating face
Or a bonfire

Invisible base
I've had some glitches that would've been amazing if we didn't have to have a base
Can't remove the base, so this is the next-best thing

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 10:00 pm

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Re: INVISIBLE BASE

Postby Akuyi » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:26 pm

And layering items! How much I want to wear 2 shirts! Or two body accessories. Or hats. :strain:
I don't know whether or how easy that would be possible though.

But yeah, invisible bases sound cool, too!

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 4:00 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby Diana » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, however the avatar system is purposefully structured in a way that makes the items look the best. Allowing users to not equip a base or to equip items that weren't intended to be worn together would cause avatars to look funky and, well, not work properly.

On a site note, a ghost base almost made it out for Halloween this year! Perhaps next year. ;)

Site Admin

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 8:00 pm

Postby galled » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:09 pm

Yes, I see (or don't see! LOL). If you had an invisible base, all of the items would need a back inside layer so they don't look like cut outs. That would be a terrible job to go back and add those layers. Oy! Makes my head spin just thinking about all of the items there are!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Akuyi » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:51 am

Diana Hmmm I can totally picture some hats, body accessories and shirts looking really great together. I have to agree that it would probably look terrible for a lot of other combinations, but I don't see why that should keep us from layering items that do look good together. Unless you guys dislike looking at cluttered or messy avatars. xD

I can understand if the avatar system can't handle it though.

Postby Diana » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:24 am

Akuyi
In short, it's a design choice. The avatar system is modeled after RPG and dress up games. It was created to be clean, sleek, easily comprehensive, highly functional, and fit the theme of Windlyn. The equip slots keep items and layers where they should be and offers easy to use, themed layouts. I wouldn't really call the system "unable to handle it", but rather the system was specifically designed to work a certain way, and not any others. If I were to change it to allow for multiple equips of the same item type, I'd have to throw away what I've been building the past few years.

There's glitches here and there, sure, I'm still learning a lot as I go; and there are definitely a lot of pros and cons to both systems, but we've forked off from where we could do infinite equipping a long time ago.

I agree some items would look good together-- I have a hard time picking the categories to put some of the items in (and you're always welcome to suggest a better category for an item if I put it somewhere). However, for a vast majority of items, they don't look good together. It seems unfair to users and somewhat nonsensical to change the system to work in a way that works for 10% of the items, and doesn't for 90%.

I hope that answers your questions. The idea of equipping multiple items has been proposed a few times now, and it's on the back burner if a way to incorporate it smoothly does come up.

Thank you again for the suggestions. I do appreciate it. :)

Site Admin

Postby Akuyi » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:52 am

Diana
Hmmmm. Well, maybe this idea will have more use once there are more items out anyway. I'll bet on that back burner for now then. Thanks for the explanation though! :smile:

Return to Site Feedback