Comments and suggestions to improve the site.

Pinging - I require your feedback!

Pinging - I require your feedback!

Postby Lime » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Hey everyone, so I just need some feedback from you guys. :)

So I've said to every new user, and remind people that you can always tag/ping me in a post so I can reply to it (since I can't check every single thread).

Although it seems I've run into a problem, because I've received maybe two PMs in total with a ping notification, and I've seen probably ~5 with my name while lurking around the site. I don't know how many I've missed either.

So first of all, I'm sorry if you've tagged me in a post and I haven't responded to it! If this is the case, feel free to PM me regarding anything, as always. :) It's always open and I'm always free for people to come to.

But here's where I need your help!

I just need to know a few things, if you'd like to fill them out:

Code: Select all
[quote="PINGING SURVEY"][b]Do you use the 'pinging' or 'tagging' feature in posts?[/b] Y/N, don't know what it is.
[b]How often do you ping/tag people?[/b] I don't know what it is, sometimes, never, often, etc.
[b]How often in relevance to the amount you ping people, do they respond?[/b] It's not easy to tell, but I'm curious to see how many people may have just neglected to get a PM.

[b]Have you pinged/tagged a single person in a post?[/b] Y/N
[b]Have you pinged/tagged multiple people in a post?[/b] Y/N
[b]Have you ever edited your post before or after pinging/tagging someone in it?[/b] Y/N
[b]How do you write a tag when you do write one?[/b] This is tricky, I'm curious about the use or lack of quotations when writing it. Try to avoid actually tagging someone, so please just describe how you write it, like: "I do the AT symbol, then the name in just quotations right after." - Because actually using the symbol will turn it into a tag.

[b]Have you ever gotten a PM from being pinged/tagged in a post?[/b] Y/N
[b]Do you get them often?[/b] Never, a few times, once, sometimes, often, etc.
[b]Have you ever seen a post where you saw your name was tagged, and realised you didn't get a PM from it?[/b] Y/N
[/quote]

I think that's it, but I really am curious about this, because the system seems to be a little buggy with it. Let me know if you can! Also, if there's anything I forgot, feel free to add it in your response, etc. Just copy and paste the text into a reply and fill it out! Thank you!

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 11:53 am

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Re: Pinging - I require your feedback!

Postby Diana » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:32 pm

If you want, you can also just ping a bunch of people in this thread, all in one post, and see who gets a PM and have them let you know.
testing. aw yis.

Site Admin

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 8:53 am

Postby Lime » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:33 pm

To be fair, I didn't want to be annoying with it- so I figured people could fill it out at their leisure if they wanted to help out with feedback! Haha.

Postby Diana » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:36 pm

[quote="PINGING SURVEY"]Do you use the 'pinging' or 'tagging' feature in posts? Sometimes
How often do you ping/tag people? rarely.
How often in relevance to the amount you ping people, do they respond? It's not easy to tell.

I think this is the problem here:
Have you pinged/tagged a single person in a post? Y
Have you pinged/tagged multiple people in a post? Y
Have you ever edited your post before or after pinging/tagging someone in it? probably?
How do you write a tag when you do write one?
@"Lime"
This is what the code tags are for. ;)

Have you ever gotten a PM from being pinged/tagged in a post? Y
Do you get them often? People rarely ping me. I don't see any new pings that I didn't get PMs for.
Have you ever seen a post where you saw your name was tagged, and realised you didn't get a PM from it? N

Site Admin

Postby Kawaii Neko Teaa » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Do you use the 'pinging' or 'tagging' feature in posts? Yes, but I dunno if it's that helpful so at the moment not right now. c:
How often do you ping/tag people? I have pinged them a couple of times. If they get notifications by PM that's cool and all, but I wish there'd be a box underneath the avatar/subscription/accoung box showing who pinged them/me and a snippet of what they said. c:
How often in relevance to the amount you ping people, do they respond? Well they did respond, but I don't know if it was because I pinged them.

Also I think getting PMed when pinged is annoying because you have to open the PM then the message, then click the link just to get there. c:

Have you pinged/tagged a single person in a post? Yes
Have you pinged/tagged multiple people in a post? Yes I think I did
Have you ever edited your post before or after pinging/tagging someone in it? No
How do you write a tag when you do write one? I learned
@Name
is how you do it. But normally on other sites it's either
@Name:
or
@"Name":

I think
@Name:
is the best one.

Have you ever gotten a PM from being pinged/tagged in a post? No
Do you get them often? No one pings me, so no.
Have you ever seen a post where you saw your name was tagged, and realised you didn't get a PM from it? No

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 10:53 am

Postby Diana » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Guys.
I am seeing so many mis-pings lately.

Pinging goes like this:
@"username"

There must be a space before the @. This is the same as for smilies or anything else that is automatically pasrsed (doesn't require tags around it). It is better if you put quotes around the username (especially if someone has a space in their name). And it is case sensitive. No, nicknames will not ping the person. Use their full username.

I don't know why people are putting colons at the end, but that won't work (unless your username is in quotes and the colon is outside them).

Site Admin

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:23 pm

I've seen it as all of these:
@Username
@"Username with spaces"
@[this one goes either way]

It's gotten to where I use pings more cuz so many of the sites I access are literally ping only, or the quotes don't notify

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Ka Lai » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:06 am

Do you use the 'pinging' or 'tagging' feature in posts? Y.
How often do you ping/tag people? Often
How often in relevance to the amount you ping people, do they respond? Err... I don't think ever...

Have you pinged/tagged a single person in a post? Y
Have you pinged/tagged multiple people in a post? Y
Have you ever edited your post before or after pinging/tagging someone in it? Y
How do you write a tag when you do write one? spaceAT"Username"
I found this confusing initially, ESPECIALLY the space. .___.
I prefer if the pinging was Username: or Username as they're fundamentally more natural.

Have you ever gotten a PM from being pinged/tagged in a post? No, never. :|
Do you get them often? No. I swear, I have never gotten a single one. And I'm pretty sure I'm being pinged... :/
Have you ever seen a post where you saw your name was tagged, and realised you didn't get a PM from it? Y

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 2:53 am

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:53 am

Do you use the 'pinging' or 'tagging' feature in posts? Yes
How often do you ping/tag people? Sometimes
How often in relevance to the amount you ping people, do they respond? Sometimes.

Have you pinged/tagged a single person in a post? Yes
Have you pinged/tagged multiple people in a post? Attempted to, but only the first one worked, I went in and put a space in front of the at sign of the second ping and it still didn't work. This whole thing is starting to confuse me.
Have you ever edited your post before or after pinging/tagging someone in it? Yes
How do you write a tag when you do write one? I've had it work by just using the at sign and the username without that space. I didn't understand the space thing. Then when I try to ping someone with a space in the username, only the first word in the username gets underlined. But I didn't realize I needed quotes around the username....

Have you ever gotten a PM from being pinged/tagged in a post? Yes
Do you get them often? Sometimes
Have you ever seen a post where you saw your name was tagged, and realised you didn't get a PM from it? Maybe once or twice, probably.

Postby Ka Lai » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:16 pm

so... I noticed in my post above, that I accidentally pinged somehow. Do you only need the quotes if it is a multi word username? That is, can you ping without quotations if the username is only one word?

testing my mule: Emily

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 2:53 am

Postby Lime » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Ka Lai wrote:so... I noticed in my post above, that I accidentally pinged somehow. Do you only need the quotes if it is a multi word username? That is, can you ping without quotations if the username is only one word?

testing my mule: Emily

I think you can ping without the use of quotes as long as it has the in front of it, and as long as it is a ONE word name. Although we do prefer just to avoid confusion, always using quotes just makes it so much easier. :)

Postby Lime » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Thank you guys for your feedback. After much lurking and figuring out why things weren't working between Diana and I, we've found out that a lot of people are just pinging wrong.

THIS IS HOW YOU PING, AND THE ONLY WAY YOU PING:

If you would like to ping somebody, find out their username.
Make sure there is a space in front of it. If it is a new line in your text, HIT SPACE.
Put the @, then QUOTATIONS around the name. THERE MUST BE QUOTATIONS. This makes it so if they have a space in their name or weird characters, it's all just in the quotations.

There is no ";" ":" or "_" or whatever. Literally the @, then the name in quotations. And don't forget to put the space in front of the @.

You can ping multiple people, just remember to follow these specifically. It's really easy.

I apologise for this post being fairly blunt and straightforward. So many people are getting pinging wrong, or spreading misinformation around about how you do it. So I wanted to clear things up without confusion.

If you want a more in depth explanation, please click here for the full guide: HERE!

(In the instance that something does actually break for whatever reason, feel free to PM me or post in our Bug Report forum.)

Thank you!

Return to Site Feedback