art consistency and colour schemes: opinions wanted!

art consistency and colour schemes: opinions wanted!

Postby ShiroGEM » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:18 am

hi you all! shiro here~

i'm planning to make more items on the site (very excited) so i've compiled this google sheet with suggestions from the Item suggestion thread! viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34

anyway, i've pretty much just made items with a lot of freedom but i wonder if you guys have any opinions about my items for future reference~

at the moment, the items i've made are Qipao, Short Ruffle Dress, Braided Twintails, Short Waves, Gingko, Contour, Classic Makeup, Buttoned Cape, Ribbon Shoes, etc. (i'm forgetting a couple)
you might have noticed that the colours are a lot more muted/desaturated for some of them, and brighter for others because i've been picking colours depending on the nature of the item.

so here are my questions (for my items only):
1. are you bothered by the inconsistency of my item colours?
2a. should i create a set of colours to use every time?
2b. if so, what colours would you suggest? if possible you can generate hex colour codes from coolors.co or mycolor.space)
3. should i match up my style to diana's for better style consistency?
4. anything else you'd like to mention? :cheer:

if you'd like to check it out, the google spread sheet is here: feel free to leave comments linking me to inspirational images!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 10:32 am

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Re: art consistency and colour schemes: opinions wanted!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:09 pm

I'll check it out but I have loved the items you have done so far...of course sometimes I would love to have an item in every color imaginable but I know that's not feasible so...probably theme generated is good...its worked so far! :cheer:

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 7:32 pm

Postby ShiroGEM » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Lemon Cheesecake
take your time! the issue with having too many colours is currently the inventory UI is a bit limited in terms of sorting and categorising, there's no search function either!
i found that with the number of items i have it's quite difficult to sort through them all so i've been limiting the colour choices to ~10 since other sites have set set colour tags but windlyn doesn't, its kind of a free for all in terms of what shade of blue i want to use ^^

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:05 pm

One thing about not having consistency is that we end up with 48696837359079 items under the color "blue" (or any other color) and not have any be the same shade

So that freedom can be a blessing, yes, but at the same time a curse

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 9:32 pm

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby ShiroGEM » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Kitalpha Hart

Yeaa I was wondering what you guys thought about that aspect! ik on other sites like gaia they have set colour schemes for releasing items, but there's always one side that complains about the fact that they're sticking to schemes in general, and others who love it, and then the people who just want the items in another colour scheme :tongue:

windlyn is unique in the sense that all the items aren't abiding to a specific selection of colours, unlike syndrone and voltra that have some set blues, pinks, red etc. but there are certain colours like lacusteel that i remember popping up again and again~

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:44 pm

If Windlyn's gonna run the variety gamut, can at least the items under the same color name be the same base color? Like everything I have on (minus the base) is purple. That is the color name. There's maybe two things that are the same color. And I have more items under the color purple that are wildly different shades of purple (some veer into pink territory)
Have purple be x
Violet be y
Romance be z

Postby ShiroGEM » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:56 am

Kitalpha Hart
You're right haha
i did mention that it depends on the item style, since mori items have muted colours, the purple i used was a lot darker and desaturated than the usual purple~ i think i called it burgundy though (omfg i just realised i misspelt burgundy and it's actually "burgand" right now D::;;;)
maybe if we developed a system of naming that benefits the sort by colour name feature, it would be totally amazing!
i was thinking labelling them by colour family + colour name? So perhaps the pinker reds could be "Red Rose" and the warmer reds could be "Red Crimson". "burgundy" could become "Purple Burgundy" so it groups together with other purple items but under a different shade
though i'm not sure how it works with multi coloured items though, purrfect aprons have two base colours so maybe that might be a challenge hmm

Postby Akuyi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 am

I like having different shades of each color! But I'd prefer if there's not too many different saturation levels because otherwise it becomes very hard to match up items.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 3:32 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:39 pm

I'd say that for the aprons, the dress would be the base color to go off of for the color name

LOL burgund. It's burgundy but fancier

Postby ShiroGEM » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Akuyi
Gotcha! I'll keep that in mind for my next set~
Kitalpha Hart
that is true, it makes more sensee to go by the dress colour but the ratio of frills and apron is pretty damn 50/50 too C": decisions

aAAA this will haunt me forever

Postby mdom » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:05 pm

I agree about the color discussion above.

and yes for more rainbows.
I don't mind the items having different styles though.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 11:32 pm

by Valentine Strange

Postby ShiroGEM » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 pm

mdom
would you like saturated rainbow or pastel rainbows? i'm a sucker for the pastels hahah

Postby NerdyAliCat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:31 am

Some of the items you've made are my favourites!
There is a noticeable style difference but i think it just adds extra character to the avatars
I do like the idea of colour family + colour name to tell apart the colours a bit better

ImageImage
Thanks Yorunaka! - Thanks Valentine Strange!

Return to polls