New here? Introduce yourself!

Greetings! New to this lovely place.

Moderator: Ryvvi

Greetings! New to this lovely place.

Postby CheerfullyMorbid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Hello there!
I happened upon this lovely site this afternoon. Decided to join an see what it was all about.
You may have seen me on some other avi sites, I'm rather fond of some of them. Hope to be around this one for some time an watch it grow.

Any advice or info you have is welcomed, as well as questions about myself. ^^

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 11:36 pm

Re: Greetings! New to this lovely place.

Postby Diana » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Hello!
Welcome to Windlyn! Thanks for joining up!

There's some FAQ's stickied to help/support and the welcome wagon, if you have any questions.If you find yourself with more unanswered questions, please feel free to PM a moderator (user with a blue username), me, or post it in the help/support forum.

We'd like to get to know you! Lets see... What are your hobbies?
And as a fun question-- Which is a better name for the hippopotamus? Water-Pig or hornless rhino?

See you around!

Site Admin

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 9:36 pm

Postby CheerfullyMorbid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Hello there!
Thank you for the welcome.
I've been reading the FAQ's, they are set up rather nicely an informative.

And hobbies...hmm.
Well I am a horticulturist. If anyone dosen't know what that is, I study plants an everything to do with them, design landscapes and what to put in pots. I raise goats and have three pot belly pigs. Bookworm that prefers the printed word. I have a 70 gallon freshwater fish tank. And I listen to a lot of different music.

And the answer to your question is water pig.
Also, did you know hippos love chocolate?

Postby Ryvvi » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:10 pm

hey welcome to windlyn! Im one of the mods diana mentioned, so if you need anything feel free to ask :)
also like.. how did they find out hippos love chocolate? how much love are we talking? vague preference? ecstatic joy?

Local time: Sat May 18, 2024 3:36 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby Diana » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Ooh! Do you have a specialty as a horticulturist?
Your fishtank sounds impressive! I'd love to see a picture sometime!

I did not know that about hippos! That's so adorable, and I'd like to know the answer to Ryvvi's questions as well :)

Site Admin

Postby CheerfullyMorbid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:02 pm

I must say, you guys are rather awesome about replying. ^^

An as to the hippo an chocolate thing, it's actually something from a movie I picked up. Weither it is actually true or not I'm not certian. Though I figure they will eat just about anything. If you watch The Librarian movies sometime, you'll run into it.

And, I have a Master Gardner Certification. I can't go to actual collage for horticulture for a few different reasons. But I have studied an learned on my own for the past 9+ years. An then took a training/course that is approved an seen by the state. I just have to get a certain amount of community service hours every year to keep my credit.
I don't really have too much going on in my fish tank right now. I've been having ammonia troubles due to some pesky snails I can't get rid of. So I don't have many fish. Most are temperamental to high levels. An to treat an kill them, I'd have to treat with high levels of copper. However, copper is poisonous to catfish. Which I have many of. So, I don't treat the tank. As it sits right now, I have a large alge eater. Two blue spotted cory catfish, an albino cory catfish, and a green cory catfish. I also have a sunburst platy that has somehow survived. And a fancy-tail goldfish.

Postby galled » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:15 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

A horticulturist! That's impressive! I've tried to care for houseplants and was a failure at that. My 2nd attempt at growing something are two small escallonia cuttings given to me. One died and the other kind of had a hard time and is coming back bit. I did try to get a couple of cuttings to grow, but only one made it and it looks OK so far. Any advice you can share would be wonderful!

Pot belly pigs seem like wonderful pets, but I've only seen them in videos and such. Never in person.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby CheerfullyMorbid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Hello there!
And thank you for the welcome!

Yes. Houseplants can be tricky. As some are not actually houseplants but more patio plants. Or the changes in out home like the ac kicking on or off can affect them. Try some pothos. It can grow in just about anything and anywhere! I actually grow succulents in my sunny windowsills. I have a jade in my bedroom windowsill that I haven't watered for about a month an it's doing fine. xP As for your escallonia, because it was a cutting there are almost always going to be a few misses or bumps in the road. With cuttings there are some factors. If there was something on the blades when cut, they can get bacteria an die. Or sometimes the shock of being a new plant itself does it. Did it get any rooting hormone when it was first planted? That helps. It also depends on what planting zone you live in. Do you happen to know? If not, make sure to look it up for future reference. You always want to know that with plants. For example, the Escallonia likes partial to full sun and in heavy heat a lot of water. It is zoned for areas in 7-9. Now I personally am in zone 9b. It would struggle where I live. And would need a lot of care an water in the summertime. When you plant something, you want to wait about 2-4 weeks to fertilize it. As it can burn the new roots. If this one that is left seems to be thriving, Its of hearty stock. Treat it as your baby an it will grow. ^^
Yes. They can be wonderful pets if you have the proper place to care for them and the time. They are extremely smart. And will get into things if they get bored. For example, I have an electric fence to keep them in. One time a few years ago they got bored of the back yard. So they walked the fence line sniffing out which spot in the fence to target. I didnt' realize it till later of course. Then they went an pushed dirt over the bottom wire in areas where it would short out the fence an they could walk though it.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:53 pm

welcome to windlyn, you are just in time for new events and new items coming up! I love how informative your replies are!!

post in any of my threads, I have a couple dice roll games where you can win free feathers

what kind of goats do you have? I was in a 4H goat club in my teens.

Postby CheerfullyMorbid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:07 pm

I love your username cheesecake. Have you ever seen the story on hyperbole and a half about cake? I totally just went...O_O CAKE!
Annnywho... Hello there! I'm excited to hear about upcoming new events an items. Those are always fun times. An thank you. I admit, I was panicking slightly about how long they were. But I figured the fact that it was indeed info, and not gibberish it was ok. ...there's this penguin walking across my screen distracting me from my reply...xD Oh dice games, awesome. Feathers are regular currency an wings are like the special item currency correct?
And I have dwarf/ pigmy goats. I'm not allowed to have fainting goats. *pouts* Parents say I'll spend all day trying to scare them. I actually just had a set of twins born Saturday and then a hour later another mommy that was trying to take the kids went into labor an had one of her own. xD Usually I'm pretty good at figuring out right away what they are. For the first time in five years I was duped. I thought they were all girls. Till last night I was standing there an the one standing on my foot didn't squat to piddle. ._. The heck...you have a winky! You liiied to me! My pigs are funny. When there are babies they become like...daycare piggies. They go to wherever the kids are and lay next to them. They let them play an jump off their backs an keep the other goats away.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Ahh, your pigs sound so cute and so attentive! I used to love when the goats had babies because the baby kids hair was so silky soft...and if we were keeping their momma for milk then we got to bottle feed the kids. If we had a sick one they would just lay on your lap and let your cradle and stroke them. Don't ever remember our goats fainting...generally it was the cows that scared easier....

I imagine pygmie baby goats are even tinier...and so adorable.

Wing currency is for special items. We seem to have the special hair as a constant but we just had treasure chests for a brief time in the diamond emporium shop.

Our Novalia event went a little longer this year but I was glad, most events are about a week or 10 days it seems. Special event items are only available for purchase during a specific time for purchase with feathers and you can earn free items during events sometimes.

Postby CheerfullyMorbid » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:20 am

Yush. They are smart buggars. An yea, I'm always amused by their playing. Or when they play hide from mommy. Fainting goats are actually a breed of goat. Look them up on youtube. When they panicked they literately faint. Sometimes just getting excited will do it. Makes catching them easier too I imagine. lol
An yes. The new babies could fit in my boot.

Oooh good to know. Sometimes its good to have events run only a short time. I think things get a little crazy when it goes too long.

Postby galled » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:53 am

Thank you so much for the wonderful information!!

Re: Houseplants
I think the biggest problem is my room doesn't get any direct sunlight (I'm not too bad at watering). Being a tech person, I think a possible solution might be some sort of LED (conserve power!) is such a thing exists. Do you know of any? And would a porthos do OK in this situation?

Re: Escallonia
Yes, I used rooting hormone. I'm happy that any of my attempts grew! I'll try again in the fall. (According to what I read that's the best time to try it for these.) According to the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone map http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/# I'm in zone 9b too. I have my two plants on a drip system with a timer, so they get watered regularly. The one died and the other stressed out before I had the drip system.

OK, fertilizer, I need to know more about it. What do you recommend? I stuck my plants/original cuttings into some Miracle Grow, but that was a year ago and I have never added any chemicals ever. Any advice is greatly appreciated, Cheerful! :smile:

Server Administrator

Postby CheerfullyMorbid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:04 pm

You could get a grow bulb. And put it in a desk lamp or something. But there are some plants you could try. Yes, pothos will grow anywhere. You might try a small fern or a air plant. If you want to fertilize organically, there are some awesome ones. I'll look at work tomorrow, I'm more visual an forget the name of the one I usually recommend. xD Its like a whole brand. But good stuff. If your ok using regular miracle grow is fine.

Postby galled » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:33 am

Being eco-conscious (and because my local power company are pirates!), I'd like a low power jobbie like an LED bulb. I'll have to see what the googles come up with.

OK, I'm gonna get me a porthos!

I just bought the miracle grow potting soil. I don't have any fertilizer yet. So any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :)

Server Administrator

Next

Return to Welcome Wagon