The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

I'm probably getting a new phone tomorrow

Moderator: Ryvvi

I'm probably getting a new phone tomorrow

Postby Valentine Strange » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:04 pm

I think it's about time where I can trade in my old phone and get a new one for free or at least 99 cents. This is the only way I can afford smartphones or even a phone in general. Not the most recent model though because the plan doesn't work that way sadly. Most likely an iPhone 7 or if I'm lucky an iPhone 8. *sighs* Got everything backed up. I kind of have a resignation to doing this because I have lost everything once due to a backup being corrupted. Collecting contact info from people who live in different states is difficult. This is why I now keep everyone in an address book. But the things I couldn't replace were the photos... I had some pictures of two of my older now deceased cats which were lost. Hoping the backup does not get corrupted and hoping I don't end up with a wonky phone, which has happened to a family member who has a similar plan as I do. I hope all things go well tomorrow. Technology has accomplished great things, but in the same vein it can obnoxious and awful. "Smart"phones are not always smart.

Oh, and I noticed some new hairs were added to Shears and Scalpels. Unless the covi hair has been there before and I just never noticed it.

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 pm

Re: I'm probably getting a new phone tomorrow

Postby galled » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:48 pm

I understand the anxiety of moving to a new phone and possibly losing your data. It's nerve racking and possibly heart breaking if it goes awry.

I think the good news is you current phone is still working, so don't wipe it until you're sure all of your stuff is confirmed to be moved. (You can always make another backup if your phone is still works!)

Good luck!

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Valentine Strange » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:21 pm

I won't be able to make another backup if something is wrong with this one. They collect the old phone after the exchange. I might stay a little longer at the store this time though and see if they can make a temp backup on their systems also so I have something just in case something goes wrong when I am testing and setting up the new phone. I just don't want it to be like last time where things looked okay in the store, but when I got home things weren't. They never have issues transferring my number to the new device, but when it comes to precious data something seems to go wrong. :distress:
Just keeping my fingers crossed everything stays okay.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:42 pm

The hair has been there since St.Patrick's day...i had it on my avatar for awhile!

Can you transfer your photo's to your computer from your phone? Doesn't Costco or walmart have a service where you can print pictures from your phone? Maybe that way you'd at least have some.

Postby Valentine Strange » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:22 am

I wouldn't know anything about Costco, but Walmart and Target have photo Kiosks. They're almost always out of order or don't recognize my phone so I'm not sure what is going on there and if there are plans for fixing them. And I've lived here about 4 years now and this has been a recurring thing. They seriously need to bring in a tech guy or something.
Sometimes I can transfer them, but there have been times when I can't. When it can't it usually says the photo was not compatible or it will upload a blank white box that won't open in preview. And I have live photos turned off so it's not because it's a live photo.

... I honestly did not notice.
Wow. I have awareness issues.

Postby galled » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 am

If pictures show up on your phone, but not in your backups (I assume you're using iCloud), then it's a network issue or you've exceeded your iCloud storage space. Are you on a home network when you try backing up and restoring?

Server Administrator

Postby Valentine Strange » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:25 am

Yes, I'm using my home network.
If it is a network issue then I'm not surprised. Any form of wifi or internet is not great here. You can literally be in the middle of city surrounded by hotspots and still not get a stable connection. There are only two providers here though so I can't really change providers. Both are pretty bad compared to ones from other states, I have the one that is supposed to be decent.
I don't always back up to iCloud though. I have one on my computer and one in the cloud from when it auto back upped on Monday, I think. It wouldn't be about not having enough space since I delete older backups so there is room for newer.

It really seems the issue isn't something I have the power to fix. I mean, I could complain about the network not working the way it should, but I've called them about it already so many times and it hasn't gotten more than "Reset the network" which I do before calling. Thanks for trying to help. I need to go carpool my friend's kid here soon and drop her off at her house. Then stop by parent's place to pick up my brother because he also is getting a new phone because he actually broke his. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Postby galled » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 am

OK, good luck! I hope it goes smoothly! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Valentine Strange » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:09 pm

I took my brother to get his, but I'm postponing getting mine most likely until the end of this week or weekend since I'm not in immediate need of a new phone. I just can't wait too long since it ties in with me renewing my phone plan.
I'm going to try to see if I can pull some important photos off without issue.

Postby galled » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 pm

If you're not in a rush, extra time is a good thing! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:11 pm

what happened with the phone situation? The girl I work with is trying to get her photo's etc off hers because hers keeps losing its connection. Mind you she has dropped her phone quite a few times...

Return to The Lounge