New here? Introduce yourself!

You find a Book of Secrets!

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: You find a Book of Secrets!

Postby galled » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Denmark can be far--or near depending on where you were! :)

Wow, I didn't have to do Morse when I took the test. That seems crazy to learn, but I found a couple of "cheat sheets" that kind of lay out how to learn it using popular bits of music. (You can learn anything on the Internet!) I might try and learn it one day for fun.

Server Administrator

Local time: Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:12 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Death by Mirrors » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Oh, thought I had mentioned it somewhere in the introduction. I'm from Austria (the one without kangaroos, thank goodness - not that I mind kangaroos, but I could never survive Australian heat. Lover of all things nordic and cold here).

Local time: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:12 pm

Postby galled » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Oh, OK. I didn't think I saw where you were from. :)

Austria looks beautiful. I've only seen pictures, but it looks like a real life story book! Do you live in a city or out in the country--and if you do, please don't tell me you live in a gingerbread house! :) :)

Server Administrator

Postby Death by Mirrors » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:48 pm

I used to live in a gingerbread house, but then my niece and nephew got hungry and ate it.

Nah, actually I'm living on a construction site right now. It's a post-war apartment flat where my grandparents moved in somewhere in the 1950s. My mom went to a different town to study, but returned to the city when she had me, so my grandparents could look after me while she was at work. Couple years ago the whole street was bought by some investors who decided to do a general renovation, and so now there's a huge hole in the ground where the parking lot used to be, two cranes, lots of trucks each day and the sweet sound of jackhammers.

But aside from that, the old town part of my city really looks beautiful, and is certainly worth a visit if you ever happen to come to Austria.

Postby Gingerale » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:18 pm

Austria...where sound of music was based?

Are you being pushed out of your home or just getting an upgrade? That's a long time for your family to live in the same place. I've met very few people who's generations have lived in the same place, most people move around. Kind of nostalgic and cool.

Local time: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:12 am

Postby Death by Mirrors » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 am

You know Sound of Music! :grin:
(Funny thing is however, the movie always was way more popular abroad than here in Austria. People coming from Japan to see the pavillon where Liesl and Rolf sought shelter from the rain, for instance. We watched it in Geography once, because our teacher thought we should at least have heard about such a huge tourism magnet.)

My grandma who lives on the ground floor gets to stay, but mom will be pushed out, because all apartments directly under the roof are going to be replaced with expensive penthouses. :

Postby galled » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 am

I love THE SOUND OF MUSIC! :heart:

I think it's one of the best movies ever made. The story, cinematography, wardrobe, music, singing, casting... Hollywood has lost the ability to put all of the elements together to make masterpieces like that anymore. The music alone is worthy of masterpiece status--songs that are memorable, melodic, catchy, upbeat, with hooks that are singable from the first time you hear them. Ahhh... incredible!

Server Administrator

Postby Watery Star » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!
How would you like to be referred to as? Death?
I hope you are enjoying yourself here.

I have a shop and give away items to new users:
http://windlynonline.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1529&p=138790#p138790

I have lists of items and there's a couple links to some item guides (has pictures) but I can pick something out for you if you'd like. Just post what your favorite colors are and what kind of style you like.

ah Austria! It's well known for the classical musicians from there, right? It makes me think of classical music anyway.

I haven't sat down and watched all of The Sound of Music yet, I've only caught bits and pieces of it.

Local time: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:12 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 pm

I love sound of music! The songs are all so memorable. It is so sad that they had to flee their homeland though. It was based on a true story. (And then the actor Christopher Plummer went on to act as a Klingon in Star Trek movies! He went from so handsome to....)

Postby Death by Mirrors » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:16 am

Hey, I love Klingons! But I get what you're saying, their general looks tend to be more on the fierce side.

Sound of Music certainly is a lovely movie with catchy tunes and charming characters. I wouldn't say Hollywood lost it all, personally I still enjoy quite a few newer movies as well. Have you seen The Artist for example? And sometimes I just want to lean back and watch some thrilling action with duels, explosions, or amazing visuals. They may not qualify as overall masterpieces, but nevertheless grant people two satisfying hours. I also like musicals in general a lot and have several movie versions of them in my closet. (Mostly newer stuff, I think Sound of Music might be the oldest, with Rocky Horror Picture Show coming shortly after.)

Yup, Death is fine by me :wink: thanks for the welcome! Windlyn looks like an awesome place so far and I'm glad I joined.

*nods* Austria yields several classical musicians, and we have a fairly good music university too.

Postby Gingerale » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:23 am

Watery - I think the "Sound of Music" movie is something everyone should watch at least once.

Christopher Plummer still made a powerful Klingon! I've liked his acting whatever I've seen him in.

Postby Death by Mirrors » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:17 pm

What other movies have you seen him star in?

Postby Gingerale » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:10 pm

I googled his name because I couldn't rememeber all the movies I have seen Christopher Plummer in and - dang - he has been in a lot!! Some I haven't seen, so I think I may just have to check them out.

Postby Death by Mirrors » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Yes, he has been in quite a number. And funny thing is, I never drew the conclusion General Chang and the father of the Trapp household were indeed the same actor, before Lemon Cheesecake pointed out he later played a Klingon in Star Trek. I've seen both films, but Christopher Plummer looks so incredibly different each time, thus I never noticed.

Postby galled » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Both a sign and curse of a great actor is no one can recognize them in different roles. General Chang certainly widened the universe of Klingons!

Gary Oldman in DARKEST HOUR is another crazy great performance. He's Zorg for crissakes!!!~

Server Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Wagon