New here? Introduce yourself!

You find a Book of Secrets!

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: You find a Book of Secrets!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:15 pm

It's amazing what make up can do too! And it sure helps when their acting isn't always the "same".

Local time: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:47 pm

Postby Death by Mirrors » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:24 pm

That's true. I've also admired the versatility of Johnny Depp's makeup - Willy Wonka and Captain Jack Sparrow look very different from each other as well.

Local time: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:47 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 pm

ya, but sad to say, Johnny Depp's acting is generally the same and he slurs his speech. However, he did a recent movie...not recalling the name...where I think he was a gangster? Which I think he did very well. If I forget who the actor is and get enthralled with the character then I find that good acting.

Postby Death by Mirrors » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:40 am

I usually don't pay that much attention to the actor to begin with. Sometimes I recognize them during a movie, thinking "oh, that's (insert name here)" or "hm, wasn't that the one who also played in (other movie or tv show)?"

Other times I simply enjoy the character they portray.

Postby Gingerale » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:00 pm

The mark of a true artist in acting is that they can make you believe they are the character, even if it is bad writing.

Local time: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:47 pm

Postby Death by Mirrors » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:33 am

Indeed. I like it best when someone portrays their role so believably I forget for a moment they're merely acting. Usually I watch a film when I crave a small break from the real world, not to be constantly reminded of it by the stiff dialogues and awful cast. (then again I sometimes watch super trashy things in need of a good laugh)

Postby Gingerale » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Spoof's or slapstick comedy can be a good laugh. Look at "Space balls" take off of "Star Wars".

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:39 pm

Or like "Galaxy Quest"!

Postby galled » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:41 pm

I've watched GQ many time too. So funny!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Death by Mirrors » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:52 am

Was that the one with the flatiron on the command bridge?

I think it's interesting how movie and tv show sets are decorated. Once I watched a documentary on how they styled the foreign looking food for Star Trek, and I'm also still determined to reproduce the blue rock candy in my kitchen they used as crystal meth on Breaking Bad. On Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries they even have staff dedicated to finding decorations on flea markets and setting the scene as authentic into the 1920s as possible.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 am

Set design can be quite an art.

I've made rock candy as part of a science project before but I don't think we colored it. I imagine food dye would do the trick.I didn't know meth looked like rock candy, thanks for the heads up.

I'd be interested in watching the documentary of Star Trek food, I'll look for it.

Postby Death by Mirrors » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:02 am

I have no idea if actual meth looks like rock candy, but it came across believable enough for me in the show. Sometimes we can easily be tricked, I think. There's a whole museum in Korea dedicated to optical illusions where people post stunning or hilarious social media photos from, and I certainly needed to look twice at some of them, even when I knew it was an illusion.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:05 pm

I've looked through a book of optical illusions before and it is so easy to let your eyes drift so that you see something else, even when you know where you are supposed to look at.

I have a book on 3D illusion's where you have to stare at a design for a minute to see the 3d picture appear, pretty wild.

Postby Death by Mirrors » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:41 am

Oh yes, I know what type of book you mean. They were kind of a big deal here in my teens, sold at every other corner. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen any in a while, but I do own one. It works for me only for maybe 2/3 of the pictures, the others I can't make anything appear in, no matter how much I cross my eyes. But those that do work are pretty rad indeed.

Postby Gingerale » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Happy Birthday Death by Mirrors!

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Wagon