New here? Introduce yourself!

A New Star is Born!

Moderator: Ryvvi

A New Star is Born!

Postby Polaris » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:08 pm

Hello! I'm Polaris :cheer:

As you might infer from my name (Polaris => the North Star), I am a lover of stargazing and astronomy! It's one of my most favorite hobbies and past times! I love spending my evenings and sleepless nights (I'm quite the nocturnal person) watching the stars.

I found this cute site after checking for updates on Skye Endless Realm. They have sadly halted production indefinitely :( But have recommend other similar, cool sites (like this one!)
Everyone seems really cool here and I love the site aesthetic (A++ very beautiful).

I found a pengwing while browsing through a forum, so I am guessing an event or something is happening? I haven't really read around yet, but I will catch up with the haps.

For now, I'll explore around the site a bit and see what's the haps :smile:

Local time: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:01 pm

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Re: A New Star is Born!

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

Come check out my 5 Dice and Shut Up and Take My Money games and LemonCheesecake's dice games for free stuff and feathers!

Local time: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:01 pm

Postby Diana » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi there!

Welcome to Windlyn!

We have a lot of users interested in space, you'll fit right in! What is your most favourite thing about space?

You guessed it! Theres an event going on right now. The pengwings were having a summer party, but one of them stole some very important cookies. Click on any pengwings you see to investigate them to help solve this mystery (and get a prize!)

I'm glad you like the site! It's a bummer about Skye, but it was really cool of them to feature us on their list and help new friends find their ways to us. :)

If you ever have any questions or need anything, please don't hesitate to contact a staff member (a user with a blue username or me) or post in the help/support forum.

Site Admin

Local time: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:01 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Welcome to Windlyn! YES!! <sigh of happiness> another stargazer!!

Find a pengwing and you will get either an item, a pengwing character or feathers. But the event will be ending soon so get those pengwings found! Check out Akuyi's case of the missing cookies thread for info on the clues.

Join Monkeygirl or my game threads for chances to win feathers or items.

Lazarus shop items are only around for a short period of time, so focus on getting those items first.

It's a warm little community so don't hesitate to join in discussions on the threads (after all its the main way to earn currency) and play the doughnut or spelling games for feathers too.
Feel free to share your love of the sky and stars! Do you have a favorite celestial star/planet occurrence/nebula/universe etc? I'm always looking for good science documentaries to watch or newest space photos, so pass any you know on.

Postby Polaris » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Lemon Cheesecake
My favorite celestial star is Antares (the heart of Scorpio, my zodiac and favorite constellation eheh), and I am obsessed with Planet X right now. Astronomers have said that Planet X could possibly be located within 5 years time, which I hope is true since it takes about 15,000 Earth years to orbit the Sun (and I am not about to wait that long).

Diana
Thank you! I hope I can catch up with the event, the items all seem very lovely so far :smile:
My favorite thing about space is the concept/idea/thought that we can't even begin to imagine how big space is! I find that this and the thought of how vast and immense space is is what scares people, but I find that beautiful and all the more fascinating!

MonkeyGirl18
Thank you! I look forward to the games, feathers, and free stuff (who wouldn't?) :grin_wink:

Postby galled » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:13 pm

Welcome to Windlyn! I love learning about space and the universe. I wish there wasn't so much light around here so we could star gaze more, but like Lemon I find the shows very interesting. I hope you're able to get the observatory background from the current event--lots of stars and you can see the Milkyway!

After taking a couple of astrophysics classes (and minoring in physics) I've come to believe the universe is infinate (there is no end and no beginning--so no big bang--which solves a lot of the questions of that theory). Even when you accept that idea, it still blows my mind thinking about it!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Polaris » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:40 pm

galled
I recently moved from a house in the suburbs to an apartment relatively close to city lights, so there went my view of the stars o n o But maybe if there was an area or city wide blackout... Oh well :wink:
Because of how infitinite space is, I imagine it would be a never ending adventure of discovery and gallore. I hope space travel for the general public will be invented soon, I'd really like to explore our solar system and find that darned Planet X

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:17 pm

I was at an art show that a local photographer had displayed their photos they took of the night sky just outside our city and I was amazed at how many stars popped up on film -like an endless speckled sea of glowing phosphorescence - all there laying behind the blanket of our city lights. Very amazing and humbling. Very, very beautiful.

With all the stars/planets out there, there just has to be a twin earth somewhere in amongst them all. With all the progress with 3 d printers I believe someday there will be some way of replicating items on other planets and forming the the basics for producing what is needed for air/water and other necessities for a genesis planet like on Star Trek.

Postby RinLin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:38 am

Welcome to the site, Polaris! :D I am sure you will find this community absolutely delightful, I know I do, and I haven't even been here for a month yet. <3
I also have a newbie charity in my sig, you can check it out. ^^

Local time: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:01 pm

:heart: Tumblr :heart:
Genderqueer. They/Them.
Ping/quote me, so I don't lose you.
Feel free to add me, I love new friends.
Newbie Charity | Closet | Shinies | Art & Crafts

Postby Watery Star » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:10 am

Welcoem to Windlyn Polaris!
Isn't the background on this website lovely? I see you've met Lemon^^ She has a thread that she updates when there's something to see in the night sky.

Are you getting along with the event ok? It's about to end but we're going to be trading items that we have duplicates of. I have an extra Observatory Background for your avatar that I can reserve for you.

Local time: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:01 pm

Postby Akuyi » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:10 am

Welcome to Windlyn! :3

Local time: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:01 pm

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby galled » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:39 am

If the universe is indeed infinite, the possibilities are the same! Anything could really be possible and what's really exciting is reality exceeds our imaginations.

Yes, I wish space exploration would proceed faster! I read that SpaceX (Elon Musk's company) will be sending its first rocket to Mars next year (it has window to launch or the distance gets to be too great).

The solar system is way bigger than I ever realized (Voyager 2 still hasn't left the solar system!). What's crazy is while we can see stars and detect planets light years away, we still have trouble seeing the stuff in the solar system (our local neighborhood)!

Server Administrator

Postby Cloudy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:45 pm

Yo! Welcome to Windlyn ✌
I'm a bit of a space nerd myself and even more an astrology nerd, so I hope we can talk about space and the zodiacs sometime. Do you have a preference over Eastern or Western Zodiac? A lot of people debate which one is "better," but I find that understanding both is much better than only choosing one

I have a bunch of extra items from the current event (literally, I have 9 Miss Terri's, 9 Lady Pengwings, 7 Whisks, the list goes on :o) so hit me up if you're lookin' for some stuff! There are also tons of Newbie Giveaways and Charities you can check out and get/trade for past items

Check these out!
VOCALOID Cosplay & Chat

Stay chill

Postby Polaris » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:26 pm

Lemon Cheesecake
Same here! 3D printers, although it may not seem like it to most, have just given humanity a view into a whole new world of replication and creation. Like you said, maybe one day we might be able to use an advanced innovation of 3D printers to replicate items and materials from other planets. Ooh, maybe even use 3D printers to create model replicas of said planets for some in-depth study without the lengthy (and possibly dangerous) space travel.
And I would love to see the night sky photos from that art show you mentioned. Just thinking about how they look and how many stars are in those photos is, for lack of a better word, ahhhh!!

RinLin
Thank you! o w o I'll be sure to check your charity out!

Watery Star
The pengwings are very sly and hard to look for, but I've managed to find a couple o u o
If it's not too much trouble for you to reserve the Observartory BG, that would be very lovely!

Akuyi
Eheh, thank you! ^ w ^

galled
Space travel and the distances between our solar system, our galaxy, and neighboring galaxies and star systems really gives us a minuscule idea of how big the universe really is! It's really confusing (for me at least) to thinking about travel time and the flow of time on other planets. What may seem like a day on one planet can be years on another, sometimes even centuries or millennia! Time and space really are fascinating, woah

Cloudy
Space! Astrology! Ahh! I've grown up hearing both, though I've always leaned more towards Western Astrology. It wasn't until recently that I've looked more into Eastern Astrology, even though I've grown up constantly hearing about it (my parents would talk about my siblings and I and our various signs, like my temper as a tiger and my brother's over-confidence as a dragon). And yes, I think understanding both would be much better than deciding which is better.

~~~~~
All of you are too kind, really! Thank you for making me feel so welcome! ^ u ^

Postby okios » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Welcome to WIndlyn, Polaris! :cheer: That's a lovely username. Great to have you here!

I feel the same about Skye (I flocked there after TinierMe shut down), but at least it's "indefinite" instead of "scrapped"...right? :strain:

On a lighter note, i hope you enjoy the event! I also have spares if you need any. :)

Local time: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:01 pm

https://i.imgur.com/paQOna3.png?1http://i.imgur.com/2Ka0iwp.png

Next

Return to Welcome Wagon