New here? Introduce yourself!

Heyo o/

Moderator: Ryvvi

Heyo o/

Postby Uncanny » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Hiya, I'm Uncanny.

I've been on a few avatar sites over the years, Tinierme, Crysandrea, Syndrone Online. I've been looking for a new website to go to since Syndrone kinda lost it's charm. The avatars here seem like they're super cute too! Can't guarantee I'll post a lot because I'm usually playing online games like Guild Wars 2 (at least during the summer).

Some hobbies I have are: listening to music (all kinds!), playing video games, baking & cooking, the occult, anime, and listening to scary stories on youtube. c:

I'm currently still doing my undergrad, been doing it for 6 years, switched my second major too many times. My majors are criminology and sociology. This year will be my last year working on my crim degree and then I'll work full time on my sociology degree. After my undergrad I plan on working for 5 years or so and then either taking a masters program in criminology or going to law school. ^-^

I also tutor high school kids during the school year, which is loads of fun.

Nice to meet you all and I hope we can be friends!

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 5:21 pm

Re: Heyo o/

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Hello! Welcome to Windlyn!

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 4:21 pm

Postby Diana » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Hey there! Welcome to Windlyn!
I am glad you like the avatars. I'm sure you'll be making a ton of new friends in no time. Our community here is really great!

From your intrests, it sounds like you're going to fit right in. I think a few other people have mentioned GW2.
Do you have a favourite recipe?
Criminology is cool! Have you decided on a particular division of it yet?

If you are lost or have any questions, please feel free to pm a moderator (user with a blue username) or me, or post in the help/support forum. :)

Site Admin

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 2:21 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Welcome to Windlyn! Sounds like you have a busy, if not intriguing and ambitious, life. I applaud you for your aspirations and your resilience to keep pursuing a higher education and goals. It's a challenging field but it does make for great thriller books/movies if you decide to change your field again. :grin_wink: (Have you ever thought of writing stories?). What kind of jobs does this field open up for you?

We are a friendly little community and you will probably find quite a few share similar interests as you do. Monkeygirl18 and I have dice roll game threads for earning feathers or past items and Windlyn has added the games room so you can now earn feathers from the games or from events. The items in the Lazarus shop will be switching out soon so I would opt to purchase those first rather then the commons because you doubtfully will not see the specialized items again.

Check out Akuyi's charity thread, while Maro's is on haitus, for past items and the yard sale for purchasing members extras. Balcan has stimulating conversation in his threads as do some of the others but the game threads are great if you just want to post to build up feathers and just let your mind vegetate for awhile.

Have fun settling in!I look forward to seeing you in my threads.

Postby Polaris » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:50 pm

Welcome to Windlynn!

The community here is amazing and very friendly, so you'll fit in right away! I migrated here too after exploring other avatar sites (mainly Tinierme and Skye Endless Realm). I haven't joined any guilds myself, but I've seen some anime-centered guilds you can join. Baking and cooking is one of my hobbies too though I usually end up burning or charring whatever I make

Do you have any signature dishes or just something you find yourself cooking a lot? Any favorite anime shows/series?

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby galled » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

If you have time to post, we love great discussions! Being in criminology, you might have interesting insights into current evens such as the black/blue lives matter. Is there a solution to these issues none of our policitos has mentioned?

If you don't have time, no worries. We're just glad to meet you! Hope you like it here! :)

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Cloudy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Yo! Welcome to Windlyn c:

Check these out!
VOCALOID Cosplay & Chat

Stay chill

Postby Bassy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Welcome to this fabulous world of Windlyn!

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 4:21 pm

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Uncanny » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Diana wrote:Hey there! Welcome to Windlyn!
I am glad you like the avatars. I'm sure you'll be making a ton of new friends in no time. Our community here is really great!

From your intrests, it sounds like you're going to fit right in. I think a few other people have mentioned GW2.
Do you have a favourite recipe?
Criminology is cool! Have you decided on a particular division of it yet?

If you are lost or have any questions, please feel free to pm a moderator (user with a blue username) or me, or post in the help/support forum. :)

Thank you! Glad to hear it!
I do, at the moment it's salted caramel maple pecan pie bars. Oh my gosh, they're so magnificent.
I'm really interested in Native Americans and the criminal justice system, youth crime, and women and the criminal justice system (human trafficking/prostitution). All very interesting, I assure you. ^^

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Welcome to Windlyn! Sounds like you have a busy, if not intriguing and ambitious, life. I applaud you for your aspirations and your resilience to keep pursuing a higher education and goals. It's a challenging field but it does make for great thriller books/movies if you decide to change your field again. :grin_wink: (Have you ever thought of writing stories?). What kind of jobs does this field open up for you?

Thank you for the warm welcome and all the information you've provided in your post, I am very grateful. ^^
Hahaha, unfortunately criminology isn't as exciting as the movies and tv shows portray. It's more about theories about why crime occurs and what are the best methods to prevent it. Of course there are ways you can narrow it down, but usually I've found we end up as academics, police officers, criminal law lawyers, or advisors for cities in terms of safe streets.

As for writing, I used to do a lot of writing when I was in high school and community college. Kind of lost interest due to a lack of creativity and time though. D:

---------
Thank you everyone else for your wonderfully warm welcomes. <3

galled wrote: Being in criminology, you might have interesting insights into current evens such as the black/blue lives matter. Is there a solution to these issues none of our policitos has mentioned?

Honestly I don't have enough knowledge in that area to really comment on it. I also don't really want to offend anyone with my opinions on the matter so I'll just leave it with not having enough knowledge about the causes, etc.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:05 pm

I love caramel and I love maple (especially maple walnut fudge) and those bars look absolutely delicious!!

I remember for a class we had someone from forensics come in and talk about a variety of ways bodies had been disposed of and the difficulties of identifying the bodies (it was a dental class so it was about teeth and forensics). I can't remember most about the class except that because I had no idea the extent people would go to to dispose of their victims. Not something I have a stomach for.
Have you had top do forensic classes or do you get to specialize and concentrate more on the intent behind the crimes or the laws and not have to deal with that in studying criminology?

Postby okios » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:02 am

Welcome to Windlyn! :) I'm blinded by your bright future. Go you! ^-^
What scary stories have you listened? I've heard "Virtual Barber Shop" (more of an audio experience than a story) and that was enough for me haha.

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 3:21 pm

https://i.imgur.com/paQOna3.png?1http://i.imgur.com/2Ka0iwp.png

Postby Uncanny » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:33 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:I love caramel and I love maple (especially maple walnut fudge) and those bars look absolutely delicious!!

I remember for a class we had someone from forensics come in and talk about a variety of ways bodies had been disposed of and the difficulties of identifying the bodies (it was a dental class so it was about teeth and forensics). I can't remember most about the class except that because I had no idea the extent people would go to to dispose of their victims. Not something I have a stomach for.
Have you had top do forensic classes or do you get to specialize and concentrate more on the intent behind the crimes or the laws and not have to deal with that in studying criminology?

Me too! I actually made the salted caramel sauce myself too. The bars are super easy to make too, I think each time I've made them we've consumed them within 2-3 days.

That sounds super interesting, would love to have a class about forensics (no I haven't taken any, I think that would be more sciences than social sciences)! Yeah, you'd definitely not want to eat before that class it sounds like. Honestly at my university we focus more on the theories, usually only the fourth year classes talk about intent and everything surrounding that but it also depends on which fourth year class you take. The fourth year class that I have taken was Aboriginals and the Criminal Justice System and it focused on the circumstances that lead Native Americans to commit crimes, the history which impacts them immensely, family issues, laws that essentially target this group of people, stuff like that. Courses from first year to third year though are mostly focused on theories, there's a course on policing, another course on security. Some of it is pretty dry honestly. There was a course called Criminal Justice Systems which focused on the laws behind it. Stuff like Gladue court (which is for Native Americans to be judged by their peers in a court that is designed for their specific culture), laws for prostitution for example that lead women to seek out more dangerous places to do their work, how mandatory minimum sentences can really clog up the criminal justice system. Generally stuff like that.

One thing I forgot to mention though is my course is only really focused on Canadian law since I live in Canada and attend a Canadian university.

okios wrote:Welcome to Windlyn! :) I'm blinded by your bright future. Go you! ^-^
What scary stories have you listened? I've heard "Virtual Barber Shop" (more of an audio experience than a story) and that was enough for me haha.

Thank you both for your warm welcome and lovely comment! I've listened to so many I can't even begin to list them all. A lot of the channels that I frequently listen to are: Be. Busta, Lazy Masquerade, Blue_Spooky, Darkness Prevails, Fear Urmaker, Urmaker, King Spook, Mr. Nightmare. I listen to pretty much all of the new videos when I'm doing boring PVE in Guild Wars 2. xD Some other channels that I really enjoy that have the same sort of vibe (or at least I think so) are: Dark5 and Beyond Science. I'll have to check out Virtual Barber Shop!! I'm a big horror junkie so this sort of stuff is hugely enjoyable for me. ^^

Postby galled » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Uncanny wrote:Honestly I don't have enough knowledge in that area to really comment on it. I also don't really want to offend anyone with my opinions on the matter so I'll just leave it with not having enough knowledge about the causes, etc.

No worries! I'm sure we'll find other things to talk about. Criminology is very interesting. :)

Server Administrator

Postby Uncanny » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:09 pm

galled wrote:
Uncanny wrote:Honestly I don't have enough knowledge in that area to really comment on it. I also don't really want to offend anyone with my opinions on the matter so I'll just leave it with not having enough knowledge about the causes, etc.

No worries! I'm sure we'll find other things to talk about. Criminology is very interesting. :)

For sure, for sure!! Yes, it can be. ^-^

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:53 pm

I would think law in general is quite similar in the western cultures although the judicial courts are run differently.

when you say " Stuff like Gladue court (which is for Native Americans to be judged by their peers in a court that is designed for their specific culture)" by peers do you mean people of their own tribe because it seemed like there used to be a division and even animosity between different tribes (first people/nations or whatever they wish to be called now).

What is just and right has always been of interest to me but there are so many laws to learn if you want to get a job in the judicial system that my brain just can't seem to grasp them. I have always found it curious as to the fact that a jury is often made up of people who do not understand the laws or rights of people and many of the jurors go by feelings and not all the evidence is given the jury, how can that seem fair? I have listened to some stories that jurors have told me of the proceedings they have sat in on and how it could seem like a cut and dry case only to find on deliberation that not all the jurors saw it that way.Come to think of it, has a jury ever been able to come up with a list of questions they want answered on a case?

I do think its great if you understand all the legal stuff and can process it in your brain.

Next

Return to Welcome Wagon