New here? Introduce yourself!

Ahoy

Moderator: Ryvvi

Ahoy

Postby Tohopekaliga » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Hey there! Felt like trying to post here, because why not? Windlyn has super cute avatars. :)

I registered, uh, early last month to look at things, but decided to not post much because the site goes so slow. It still is painfully slow, but figured I'd give it a try anyway.

I visit lots of different avatar sites, because I like 'em a lot. There's definitely potential here!

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 8:36 pm

Re: Ahoy

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Welcome Tohopekaliga! I think the avatars are super cute too! They look like a lot of love is put into their design and there are so many options of items. I love seeing the different ways members create outfits for their avi's.

Do you have any favorite hobbies interests?

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 6:36 pm

Postby galled » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

As you may have noticed, we've just gone Beta a couple of hours ago, so bug fixes becomes the focus. Hopefully that'll speed things up a little, but I wouldn't expect miracles--I think a big part of that are the avatars are actually quite large (right click on one and select Open image is new tab) and they take a lot of bandwidth to download each one.

Well, if you like what you see I hope you'll excuse the digital dust and bear with these issues and enjoy your time here! :)

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Tohopekaliga » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks for the welcomes. :)

I play possibly too many video games, I do web development and programming, RP on occasion, and like to cosplay. :D

I also love to sail, but it's been a while since I've had a chance to do that.

And Galled, I'm an inherently curious person (and as I mentioned, I'm pretty well versed in how websites work), and so I spent a couple minutes looking at why Windlyn is so slow. I found that it takes an average of 1.5 seconds for your server to respond to requests--the size of images alone doesn't explain that (although I did notice that). Have you thought about getting different hosting?

Postby Polaris » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello! Welcome to Windlyn!

The site's recently gotten some cool new updates (literally today), so now we can raise pets! I feel your pain though, my internet is insanely slow and flickers with the connectivity so the agony of loading things is absolutely unbearable = n =

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 9:36 pm

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby galled » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Tohopekaliga wrote:And Galled, I'm an inherently curious person (and as I mentioned, I'm pretty well versed in how websites work), and so I spent a couple minutes looking at why Windlyn is so slow. I found that it takes an average of 1.5 seconds for your server to respond to requests--the size of images alone doesn't explain that (although I did notice that). Have you thought about getting different hosting?

Ah, yes, ping times aren't very good. We're currently hosted on a private server that is shared with other sites. Diana has considered a commercial hosting service, but that would cost money and this is just a sandbox for Diana and her friends new and old to play around in, so it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Perhaps when she graduates school (she started Windlyn when she was 16) and if and when she decides to release Windlyn/exits Beta as something more than a hobby/learning tool I suppose she'll look at it again.

Thanks for your understanding and I hope that the features and super friendly community of Windlyn will be a worthwhile tradeoff for the slow response time. :)

Server Administrator

Postby Tohopekaliga » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:44 pm

Oh. Windlyn is hosted in somebody's house? Well, that explains a thing or two, lol.

I don't pay all that much for the hosting of Trisphee, but in-school budgets certainly limit things. :P

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:20 pm

What kind of boats do you sail? Did you sail for fun or competition? I used to crew for some races sometimes - small 12-14 footers, but I have helped crew some larger boats, I am just not a strong swimmer so I don't like to be too far out on the water.

Postby Mousy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Oh wow!
There was this really awkward time where I was trying to find anything other than Gaia. ugh.
I feel like I looked into Trisphee once before...
It obviously didn't really catch my eye much since I'm not there but, I'm glad you like it!

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 7:36 pm

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby Tohopekaliga » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:What kind of boats do you sail? Did you sail for fun or competition? I used to crew for some races sometimes - small 12-14 footers, but I have helped crew some larger boats, I am just not a strong swimmer so I don't like to be too far out on the water.

Lots of things. I went to a summer camp that had sailing as their main thing for years, and worked there when I was old enough, too. Learned how to sail on Sunfish, which are about 13 feet long. Have sailed many things otherwise, lasers, Lightnings, Hobie Cats, JY-15s, 405s, cabin cruisers...

At the camp I was assigned as the "captain" of one of their big boats the last summer I worked there, a Cape Dory 33. that's a 33' boat with cabin and bunks and engine and stuff. Was a nice boat.

My high school also had sailboats, Lasers & 405s. Sailed those a lot there.

Mousy wrote:Oh wow!
There was this really awkward time where I was trying to find anything other than Gaia. ugh.
I feel like I looked into Trisphee once before...
It obviously didn't really catch my eye much since I'm not there but, I'm glad you like it!

Trisphee's main problem, I think, is it lacks a good newbie-onboarding approach. You get there, and it's just...there. No real guidance on what to look at, or how to get started with the avatar.

I'm working on fixing that, at least.

Postby XoGIZMOoX » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:24 pm

-Waves- Gizzie sees you joined here as well :smile:

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 5:36 pm

:heart:COME VISIT MY PETS PLEASE :heart: http://windlynonline.com/cgi-bin/forums/pets.php?userid=646ImageImageImage [img]http://i.imgur.com/p30InEq?r.gif[/img

Postby Tohopekaliga » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:04 pm

I did indeed. :) I'm in lots of places. As are you, it seems, hehe.

Postby Watery Star » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:26 am

Hi, welcome to Windlyn!
I don't really notice this site being slow ^^; Thanks for giving it a chance despite that.
Oh do you manage Trisphee? I haven't checked it out before but recently heard it's name being tossed around.

Postby Akuyi » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:13 am

Hello! Welcome to Windlyn! :D

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 2:36 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby Tohopekaliga » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:58 am

Thanks for the welcomes. :)

Watery Star wrote:Hi, welcome to Windlyn!
I don't really notice this site being slow ^^; Thanks for giving it a chance despite that.
Oh do you manage Trisphee? I haven't checked it out before but recently heard it's name being tossed around.

That's correct. I do a lot of the coding and site design, manage the servers, and say yes to lots of "can I make a ___" from the artists. :cheeky:

Next

Return to Welcome Wagon