New here? Introduce yourself!

You find a Book of Secrets!

Moderator: Ryvvi

You find a Book of Secrets!

Postby Death by Mirrors » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Many centuries ago, those books used to be powerful artifacts which could tell hidden truths about almost every person in the world. Nowadays however their magic has faded, and so unfortunately you won't be able to employ the book to spy on your rival. In fact, there's only one person you can learn more about, and it happens to be Windlyn's newest arrival.

The name stands engraved in leather: Death by Mirrors.

Maybe you have seen it before, in different territories. As you open the book and start reading, you discover said newbie found out about the existence of Windlyn because some people on Trisphee were discussing the event there. You also read about Death by Mirrors's curiosity, laziness, and love for avatar sites.

Apparently, Death is 32 years old. You don't know what to do with this tidbit of information. What else? A real bookworm, who also hoards a never ending stash of craft projects. Prefers the written word over actual talking. Can come across awkward in a group. Owns an amateur radio license, but never learned how to drive a car. Will probably learn Klingon one day.

There are many more secrets to find here, so you flip to the point that interests you most. You want to know more about... (go ahead and ask a question in the comments, and I'll answer to the best of my abilities)

Local time: Sat May 18, 2024 11:12 am

Re: You find a Book of Secrets!

Postby Gingerale » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Welcome to Windlyn! I love your intro!

Check out the charity in my signature and the other charities on the site. You came at a perfect time because we are gifting boxes!

You can earn feathers by posting, playing 3 games per day per game, and in the game threads.

Fish at the star pond every 8 hours.

Quest every 12 hours: The items are generally from the fishing and shops but if you get past items that are required then just cancel the quest (nothing bad happens).

Buy Lazarus items first as they are only temporary, sometimes they are seasonal but we never know.

Do you have pets? What kind of R/C do you do? Is it a medical reason you haven't gotten a license or live in the city so no need ~? (Just curious)

Local time: Sat May 18, 2024 2:12 am

Postby Valentine Strange » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Well, let me start off by saying welcome. And I do not appear to recognize your screen name so this is, I'm pretty sure, the first time we have met. It is good that you joined when you did. This event is a good chance to get some rare items. I'm starting my third batch of gift giving today so I'll be sure to send some your way.
I joined at the beginning of this month so I'm still new and might not be much help with some of the features, but I can say that the community here is quite friendly. And I do have a few tips like fish in the star pond everyday (Game Room>Fishing), games give you a fair amount of feathers (just click Game Room), and there are quite a few Newbie give aways here both in the Yard Sale and here in the Newbie Assistance sub forum.

You like books, eh? What genres do you read most? What are some of your favorite books? Do you have any pets?

EDIT: Lol, Gingerale kind of ninja-ed me. :wink:

Local time: Sat May 18, 2024 6:12 am

Postby galled » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

That is an incredibly delightful intro! :heart:

What genre of books do you like the most? I'm starting to take a real interest in Agatha Christie who-done-its.

I hope you enjoy your time here! :smile:

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat May 18, 2024 3:12 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Death by Mirrors » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you, thank you!

I will make sure to grab Lazarus' stuff first then (good thing I haven't been on much of a shopping spree until now, so I have most of my starting money left). And I'll try my luck at star pond and quests. It's great to know when they reset, so thanks for adding that info ^^

Unfortunately I don't have any pets. I would love to, but right now my living situation (tiny, cramped apartment) doesn't really allow it. And nah, there's no medical reason. Just no one in my core family had a car I could borrow (my grandpa was the only driver and he sold it once he thought he was too old to drive safely), so when I turned 18 a driver's license wasn't exactly the first thing on my mind. I would have been able to afford the lessons, but not a car of my own. So I use my bike a lot in summer, and during winter it's usually the bus.

Events always sound like great fun. In fact, I can go completely lurk mode on a site and when there's an event I suddenly appear out of the blue.

I read mostly Science Fiction and Fantasy, but then again I am not dead set on a genre. If the blurb sounds interesting, I'll probably grab it, even if it's from a genre I don't normally pick, or an author I've never ever heard of. The local library is basically my second home.

Favorite books? Oh gosh - can I send you a list as long as the phone book of Philadelphia? But to name only a few, I've enjoyed Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett, Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest by A. Lee Martinez, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers, Aria of the Sea by Dia Calhoun, Rise of the Dragoneye by Alison Goodman, the Uglies series, the Changers series, A Song of Ice and Fire, ...and a lot more.

Seriously, a cup of tea and a book makes the perfect evening. :smile:

Postby Gingerale » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:15 pm

lol I just realized you wrote amateur radio not the same as radio control - sorry... like HAM radio?

Postby Death by Mirrors » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:34 pm

Yup, that would be the thing ^^ I don't own a fancy station (again, tiny cramped room), but back when they offered a course at a local radio station, it was exactly the unusual, nerdy thing to catch my attention.

Postby Anarchist Beauty » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Very creative intro!
Welcome to Windlyn!

Postby mdom » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:07 pm

WHAT
we're the same age
how did I never know that
also I feel old
jk
welcome to windlyn!! The cutest avatar site there is!!!

Local time: Sat May 18, 2024 7:12 am

by Valentine Strange

Postby Death by Mirrors » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:12 pm

That's because you ARE old :cheeky:
Just kidding. I barely ever act my age. Used to be the extremely precocious kid, showed grandma style wisdom as a teenager, and nowadays I get all excited over toys and gadgets like an 8-year-old boy.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:18 pm

So when we get to the "Terminator" days then you can be our cry for help! :wink:

Welcome to Windlyn, glad to see you settling in and finding your way around the site...check out all the threads in my signature because I LOVE to give things away and help out when I can but I do make you work for it! :grin_wink:

The yard sale threads are a great way to get past items and I hope you noticed we have other shops then the first 3 that drop down. Fishing can get you space backgrounds and special Ursus pet bear eggs.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, as said, we are friendly and we get very excited to see new members.

My friend's Dad used to have his basement full of short wave radio stuff - don't know if he had a license - but it seemed like he could pick people up from all over the Country.

Don't we all like gadgets!

@mdom: was that a typo or should that have said "Windlyn"? :cheeky:

Postby Death by Mirrors » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Yup, I'll send a call for help to the mainland and then even build a flamethrower out of a coke can, a match, some gasoline and a marshmallow. Just call me Death MacGyver. :cool: (yet another proof of my age, even though they did a remake recently)

I'm looking forward to check out the threads, but for now I'll be heading to sweet slumber. Time zones can be a pain sometimes. Don't do anything pervy while I'm not around, 'mkay? :heart:

Soo... can you tell me more about pets please? They can be hatched, I suppose? At least I saw some eggs in a shop. Will they require daily care to stay alive and happy?

Postby galled » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Speed reading on my phone made me miss your HAM. I got my Technician Class license a couple of years ago. I don't have a rig (got my ticket because I fly drones as a hobby and want to be completely legal). How far away have you communicated with someone?

Yes, you can become really handy and popular when the zombie apocalypse comes! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Gingerale » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:32 pm

I sent you the items from my charity thread - you can also choose a dandelion back or a camcorder, let me know!

Postby Death by Mirrors » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:08 pm

@galled: Depends on whether you only count speech, or morse code as well. I once caught a speed morser from Denmark, but only understood like half of it. Starting a certain speed, things tend to go over my head :neutral: and I have this habit of wildly switching between hobbies, which is why I can do an amazing lot of things at amateur level. Upping my own speed would take so much time away from crafting and other stuff. Drones are cool though!

@Gingerale: Thank you very much!

Next

Return to Welcome Wagon