New here? Introduce yourself!

Hello

Moderator: Ryvvi

Hello

Postby Uchuuko » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:26 pm

I just joined. I'm 21 years old. I'm currently finishing a bachelors of science in biochemistry, and will attend graduate school. I like a lot of things, but two of them are electronica and tarot.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:16 am

Re: Hello

Postby galled » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:46 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

Biochem is exciting!

I hope you enjoy your time here!

Server Administrator

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:16 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:44 pm

Hello! Welcome to the world of Windlyn! :cheer:

Come visit my threads ... the links to my game threads and my charity are in my avatar's signature.

Have you found your way around yet? Fishing in the star pond is every 8 hours and you can catch some backgrounds and other rare items...none are found in the shops.

When you hatch your first pet let me know and I will gift you an immortality potion and if you beat my high score on the doughnut game I'll gift you 500 feathers.

You can earn feathers posting or playing games (3 scores per game). The ransacked room matching game is a fast one to play.

Biochemistry sounds intriguing...what are you going to be focusing on? Molecular biology ? Cellular? Marine biology? Medical research? What is your dream job?

Postby Uchuuko » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:07 am

galled wrote:Welcome to Windlyn!

Biochem is exciting!

I hope you enjoy your time here!

Thank you. I hope so as well.

Postby Uchuuko » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:16 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Hello! Welcome to the world of Windlyn! :cheer:

Come visit my threads ... the links to my game threads and my charity are in my avatar's signature.

Have you found your way around yet? Fishing in the star pond is every 8 hours and you can catch some backgrounds and other rare items...none are found in the shops.

When you hatch your first pet let me know and I will gift you an immortality potion and if you beat my high score on the doughnut game I'll gift you 500 feathers.

You can earn feathers posting or playing games (3 scores per game). The ransacked room matching game is a fast one to play.

Biochemistry sounds intriguing...what are you going to be focusing on? Molecular biology ? Cellular? Marine biology? Medical research? What is your dream job?

Thank you; your offers are very kind. I've found my way around fairly well; I've been playing the games. What does the immortality potion do (give your pet immortality?)?

I will be focusing on cellular and molecular stuff with biochemistry. My dream job is a biomedical gerontologist: a scientist who works to alter the biological process of aging. Do you have an occupation?

Postby Gingerale » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:07 pm

helloooooo and welcome to Windlyn!

We are always excited to have new members! Visit my newbie thread!

Which game do you like best so far?

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 am

Postby galled » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:11 am

Gerontologist would be very cool! Although because I'm a big sci-fi fan, all kinds of possibilities run through my mind (from super-heroes to monsters and horror!). I think that can be a very noble profession (as long as you're not a mad scientist type! LOL).

Aging is a curse and blessing at the same time (quality vs. quantity), but if you can improve quality of life for others, well, that's the highest calling for humans IMHO.

What goes next after Masters? Is there more schooling involved?

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits!

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:09 pm

<sigh> I wish my brain could understand all that molecular/cellular stuff...I like hearing about it but unfortunately don't understand everything I hear! :strain:

Postby Uchuuko » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Gingerale wrote:helloooooo and welcome to Windlyn!

We are always excited to have new members! Visit my newbie thread!

Which game do you like best so far?

Thank you, and will do. I like the doughnut match game the best.

Postby Uchuuko » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:03 pm

galled wrote:Gerontologist would be very cool! Although because I'm a big sci-fi fan, all kinds of possibilities run through my mind (from super-heroes to monsters and horror!). I think that can be a very noble profession (as long as you're not a mad scientist type! LOL).

Aging is a curse and blessing at the same time (quality vs. quantity), but if you can improve quality of life for others, well, that's the highest calling for humans IMHO.

What goes next after Masters? Is there more schooling involved?

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits!

Be aware that gerontologists and biomedical gerontologists aren't the same. Mad scientists, haha... :cheer:

I really see aging more as a curse than a blessing. By quantity, I think you are referring to the human population. I do understand that aging is a way to prevent overpopulation, but said overpopulation primarily promoted by over-reproduction. If only more people would be more willing to circumvent having so many children. Another thing that would help is the teaching of sexual education of people in developing countries. On the other hand, I can see how aging can remove corrupt individuals from power, but there are other ways to overthrow said people (and then there's the possibility that they might not be able to benefit from anti-aging therapies).

I was hoping to skip to a PhD program, if possible. Afterwards, that would be the end of my formal education, at least for the time being. I will very likely do some form of post-doctoral program after getting the PhD. If I could, I'd like to get my own lab started.

Postby Uchuuko » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:<sigh> I wish my brain could understand all that molecular/cellular stuff...I like hearing about it but unfortunately don't understand everything I hear! :strain:

That was like my issue last year. I took organic chemistry, and while I understood all of it, it was just so much that I just forgot all that I had 'learned' as time went on. I didn't even feel like drilling all of it in- I'd have to be doing it all of the time for me to actually have it in my mind. I want to say depression helped to keep me from bothering.

Postby Gingerale » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Phd involves a lot more commitment but if you have the determination and resilience I am sure you will be able to manage!

I like the doughnut game as well though sometimes I do much better then other days.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:54 pm

I hope you have been able to get on top of the depression, Uchuuko!

It certainly doesn't help to be struggling when you are already overwhelmed...or maybe being overwhelmed is what is causing that lack of control feeling that can lead to depression? I've dealt with depression on and off but for me it mainly rises from frustration in the lack of being able to control situations around me and then feelings of failing or helplessness and the disappoint or lectures from others regarding my actions or their lack of helping. I try to look for positive's, even when I don't feel like there are any, to get myself into a different mind set.

Talk about reading or hearing about something interesting and then forgetting about it later...I heard somethign about eating or doing something that was supposed to help fight off depression and I can't for the life of me recall what it was now!! :strain:

Return to Welcome Wagon