New here? Introduce yourself!

Hello!~

Moderator: Ryvvi

Hello!~

Postby Prinsessa » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 am

Hello! I thought it might be fun to do a little intro - I'm Prinsessa/Satu, and I love sculpting, fairytales and music (I'm actually a postgraduate music history student!). I was a ballet dancer for 9 years until I gave it up for other commitments, so I really love the ballet items I see everyone wearing! The art on this site is truly so darling :heart:

I've never been on a website quite like this one before, but I'm excited to get to know the ropes - it seems like there's such a lovely community here! :heart: I hope you've all had a wonderful New Year - how has 2020 been so far for everyone? :cheer:

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:26 pm

Re: Hello!~

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:22 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

Visit the links in my signature for my game threads and charity. Since you like ballet I am going to send you a special welcome treat!

Fishing is every 8 hours, questing every 12 ( you can accept a quest from each sister or just cancel it if you don't have the items).

3 Game scores per game each day count for feathers.

Check out Akuyi's shop thread for past items and Lianna's shop for great grab bags from past items.

There should be another event coming up for Valentine's day.

Have you ever thought of teaching ballet?

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 pm

Postby galled » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:34 pm

Welcome!

Oh ballet is so awesome! Did you dance pointe? I'm impressed with any bits. The commitment is quite heavy, so I understand how there are only so many hours in a day.

I've always found music and art history very interesting when you consider what was going on in the world and with the artist that inspired their work. Do you have favorite musical periods?

I hope you enjoy your time here!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 pm

You are welcome, Welcome to Windlyn!

I was so excited to get the ballet items. Come visit the links in my avatar's signature (they only appear in the first post of the page).

Everyone on Windlyn is very friendly and we love to have new people join our community.

Post graduate sounds like you put a lot of years into furthering your education. Were you interested in getting a University position? Are you able to find work in your field of interest?

Postby Prinsessa » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Apologies, I'm not too sure on how to tag you in a reply but thank you so much for all your help!

Lemon - You are really so lovely, thank you again! Teaching very young/beginner ballerinas would be something which I'd perhaps someday love to do :heart: For now I'm a music tutor at my university (only a few classes, which is really enjoyable as I'm still completing my thesis). There's actually far more jobs going at universities overseas in regards to my qualifications than in my country, so travel may be a possibility in the near future! However for the time being I'm hoping to further delve into academia - I have a few projects (asides from postgraduate work) about to be published, however my dream is definitely to be able to (at least somewhat) make a living off my academic writings :heart:

Galled - I danced pointe briefly, however I ended up trading it in for jazz and then contemporary dance - although ballet was wonderful the training hours & physicality of pointe didn't really work with everything else I had on :scream: I sometimes miss it, but then I had more time to pursue other opportunities which I loved! :heart:
Oh gosh as for favourite musical periods there's honestly so many - I suppose a large portion on my study revolves around the 1960's-1980's, and almost all of my favourite artists were active within that period. My postgraduate work revolves around glam rock, so that's definitely a period/genre very dear to my heart! Do you have any favourite musicians/any you could recommend? I always love finding new artists, even more so international ones! :cheer: I love classical music too, Brahms & Shostakovitch are my favourites :heart:

Postby Gingerale » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 pm

You sound so talented! I hope you are able to make a living from your publishing's, can you get royalties?

Most people I know who have danced have done ballet, tap and jazz. Did you preform at all?

Hope you are getting settled into our community. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask - we all like to help!

Buy items at the Lazarus shop when they appear since their availability doesn't last long.

We have a newbie help on the Forums page that assists you with questions on pinging amongst other things. There also is a heading of Lore which will update you on back stories and past events on Windlyn.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 pm

Postby Prinsessa » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:44 am

Gingerale (I finally figured out how to mention people! :cheer: )
Thank you so much - that is really so sweet of you :heart: I would have loved to do tap - instead I'm just starry-eyed at all the videos of Fred Astaire & Ginger Roberts tap dancing!
I did perform - when I was very young in competitions, and then a few shows with touring ballet companies (my school once did The Nutcracker with a touring Russian group - it was spellbinding!). Off the top of my head (although I feel as though I'm missing one) the three largest performances I was in were Peter Pan, The Nutcracker and then The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. The Nutcracker was most certainly my favourite :heart:
What's your favourite hobby? Any particular crafts/sports/theater you enjoy? :smile:

Postby galled » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:40 pm

Prinsessa wrote:Galled - I danced pointe briefly, however I ended up trading it in for jazz and then contemporary dance - although ballet was wonderful the training hours & physicality of pointe didn't really work with everything else I had on :scream: I sometimes miss it, but then I had more time to pursue other opportunities which I loved! :heart:

Gosh, pointe is so crazy on so many levels! Just that you did it at all earns my respect! :cool:
The other forms of dance are wonderful too--I am in awe of body control (add in acrobatics and martial arts, etc..). I'm lucky if I don't injure myself during the course of my day! :embarassed:

Prinsessa wrote:Oh gosh as for favourite musical periods there's honestly so many - I suppose a large portion on my study revolves around the 1960's-1980's, and almost all of my favourite artists were active within that period. My postgraduate work revolves around glam rock, so that's definitely a period/genre very dear to my heart! Do you have any favourite musicians/any you could recommend? I always love finding new artists, even more so international ones! :cheer: I love classical music too, Brahms & Shostakovitch are my favourites :heart:

Out of those, I like the 80's the best. I like the New Romantic period when love and relationships :heart: were the focus, and I like the beat/rhythem/grooves--dance music! :) Although I think the earlier 60's music was similar now that I think about it. :)

As for the classics, I'm partial to Bach. I don't think you can dance to him, but his compositions are melodic (a I don't like music with no melodies), complex, and mostly cheerful. But I do understand how ballet would be drawn to more dramatic composers. :cheer:

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:12 pm

I like watching the movies with Fred & Ginger too... but I also like other old shows like singing in the rain...

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 am

Welcome to Windlyn.

I see everyone has given you helpful information about the place. I hope you enjoy your time here. :)

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:26 am

Postby galled » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:57 pm

SINGING IN THE RAIN had it all--dancing, singing, catchy tunes (melodies!), great cinematography, acting, direction, and not taking itself too seriously (a movie about movie making). One of my favorites as well. If it shows on TV, I'll stop and watch.

Server Administrator

Postby khadijacandy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am

hey!

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:26 am

Postby Gingerale » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:02 pm

I think "The Nutcracker" is the most memorable ballet for a majority of countries. Kind of like the standard Christmas ballet I guess. I have never danced in it but I have watched our local [performance programs as well as ballet performances on t.v.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 pm

Return to Welcome Wagon