New here? Introduce yourself!

What's Buzzin', My Cousins?

Moderator: Ryvvi

What's Buzzin', My Cousins?

Postby Gwenoir » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:52 am

Greetings and salutations, fellow Winners! (I saw this nickname on one of the announcements and I love it to pieces). I'm new, here. Started today, in fact. I was encouraged to start a thread here. I'm not a terribly interesting person, but I'm also an open book. As long as it's not against ToS, you can ask me anything at all.

My general hobbies include crocheting and sketching. I'm looking to branch out into coloring and pixeling, but I started with clay and painting. I absolutely adore the soft gradients on this site. It really adds some appeal, to me. My first goal is to have something in every single slot, and I'm not actually that far from it, thanks to such kind patrons as I have already found here.

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 1:30 am

Re: What's Buzzin', My Cousins?

Postby galled » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

It looks like you've got the hang of things already! It's so awesome when things just click! :)

I did some ceramic in school, but haven't touched any real clay since. (It's all been polymer clay these days.) Which clay do you use or like most? What kinds of things have you been making?

I'm really glad you like Windlyn's art style. (I find it super-cute and comforting--the latter is in short supply these days it seems...) Enjoy your time here! :)

Server Administrator

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 10:30 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Gwenoir » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:59 pm

I started out with red clay (super cheap to get in Georgia, which is where I was born), then the gray clay. It was easy to do things like slip and score with it, but it also dried out way too quick on me and cracked in the kiln. I worked my way up through different media, even experimenting with this weird mix of wood glue and shavings (honestly not worth the splinters, unless you're into gloves and sanding, but it's good for making molds and adding texture; I'd treat it more as a finisher, if I ever went back to it). I honestly haven't found anything I'm truly happy with. I'd rather it not come off on my hands, or lose it's shape with a bit of extra work (I tend to work very small), but anything fitting that either dries/hardens too fast on me, or burns in the oven. I'm eyeballing this stuff classified as 'plastic clay' that's piqued my interest, but I haven't been able to get ahold of any, yet, things being the way they are in the world. Same goes with 'wax clay', of which Monster Clay is supposed to be a brand.

I've been doing crocheting, mostly. I've been perfecting my octopus plush design. The eyes keep killing me, but I'm finally making headway.

I wish you could stack more items into slots, but I understand about hardware and software limitations. At least it's classified clearly, so I can easily tell what's going to be overridden before I try to buy it!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:52 pm

Yay!You made a thread and you've been finding your way around the site. Don't hesitate to ask though if you need to know something. :heart:

There are quite a few people obsessed with the new Animal crossing right now but eventually everyone comes home for a visit...especially for events since some items you can only get in events! (Or members yard sales after).

You can fish every 8 hours and questing is every 12. Both have items you can't get in the shops.

Sounds like you have experienced a variety of mediums...nice way to figure out what you do like. We have a few others who crochet as well and lots who like to tinker in art. I can crochet but just the basic blanket. :wink:

Postby Gingerale » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:13 pm

The blue egg from fishing in the star pond becomes a blue bear. There are 4 stages I think. Once you have hatched your egg you have to keep it fed and played with or it could die. However the diamond shop has immortality and restoration potions if you have issues!

Lazarus shop items are only available during an event.

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 9:30 pm

Postby Nek0Nerd0 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 pm

Hey welcome to Windlyn, Gwen!

Hope you'll have a blast here :cheer:

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 7:30 am

Last active May 2021.

Postby Gwenoir » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:28 am

[+] SPOILER
Day 1
2/20

Lemon Cheesecake
The shops are about the only thing I've truly derped on, because I didn't realize the scrolling bar at the top wasn't a colorful ad. I just navigated around by replacing the shop number in the URL! When I found out, I could have kicked myself. :L_Wing: :cheer: :R_Wing:
I do have a question about artshops, however, as there doesn't seem to be anything specific addressing my questions (I could merely have missed it):
1) Are there any rules against 'fan' shops, as long as the artwork in question is completely original? For example, if I wanted to make pet comic book or anime characters.
2) Are there rules on signature sizes? I wouldn't be obnoxious, regardless, but I certainly want to make sure any siggie pets I made fit the rules, and 'obnoxious' is fairly subjective.

I got a starbow and the solar system from fishing! I managed one quest for Aurora, and got a tshirt (there's a joke here), but the Eventide one seems to require stuff you fish up, which I won't be giving up until I have extra.

I love experimenting with different media, and I especially love cross-crafting! My white whale is to make a fully articulated action figure from scratch. If I can get the modeled pieces down, then I'll be ready to move on to resin. This doesn't actually have to be expensive, as you can get some very acceptable results from stuff you get from hardware stores. It honestly doesn't even have to be resin, if you go the silicone route (which I probably will, as it's less prone to cracking and closer to rubber which is my ideal for toys).
For any fiber craft, I've found, to make just about any shape, all you need to know is the following:
Increasing
Decreasing
Joining
Stuffing
Everything else is merely detail. In the simplest way, if you know the setup of your Platonic solids, all you need to do is make the individual sides in the proper shape, then join them together. With the duodecahedron (d20), since most fiber is flexible, you can shortcut it by making two regular pentagons with triangles pointing out from each side, and dovetail those two 'sunburst' pieces together.
These basics have worked out for me in everything from crocheting to quilting to felting. Don't sell yourself short, you got this!

Gingerale
How nifty! Like the constellation!
> ^> Oooooh, there're baskets in there! :L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Nek0Nerd0
I'll do my best to be a functioning member of this society!

Postby ShiroGEM » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:12 am

Welcome to Windlyn Gwenoir! just in time for the easter event too C: Has anyone sent you items from the valentine's day event this year? I can send you a bunch if you'd like!
Do you have any examples of "fan" shops? i'm not exactly sure what you mean exactly
Generally speaking as long as your signature doesn't span more than a third of the page in length, doesn't potentially cause epilepsy and break the TOS it should be okay~

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 1:30 pm

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:39 am

phew, I'm glad someone had a partial answer for you!

My favorite shops are Tippsberg and the secret garden.

Postby Gwenoir » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:16 am

[+] SPOILER
Day 1
14/20
Day 2
2/20

ShiroGEM For example, if I made a picture of Deadpool, who is a comic book and movie character I did not create and do not own commercial rights to, and sold the picture on this site to post in one's signature as a siggie pet.

I have a few, but I'm always interested in acquiring more, if you have any superfluous items clogging your inventory! I currently have:
Crystal Helmet (Stone, Rock, Miner)
Lovely Torch (Candy)
Crystal Lantern (Garden)
Dynamite (Sticks)
Heart Container (Emerald)
Work Overalls (Pearl, Jade, Diamond)

Lemon Cheesecake Those are pretty neat stores, but my absolute favorite has to be the Pumpkin Patch.

Postby Gingerale » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:57 am

I'm not sure on the whole trademark thing, for personal use probably ok? You can ping Galled or Diana and ask.

Lianna has great grab bag deals, probably the best deal in all of WIndlyn.

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 9:30 pm

Postby Gwenoir » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:15 am

[+] SPOILER
Day 1
14/20
Day 2
6/20

Oh! I can probably ask this on the help forums, right? And yes, I agree with you on the grab bags!

Postby ShiroGEM » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Cool! I sent you a bunch of trades! just put 1 feather in return if it requires you to put something in it

Hmmm It's finicky because 99% of Windlyn isn't monetized at all so aside from wings, feathers and items don't really have set monetary value. That being said, all types of items on this site are still "in-game items", so you're still gaining something if you sold the pet. Personally I'd avoid selling anything copyrighted/trademarked, like even a chibi. Think about it in the perspective of the site owner. ie. sites like etsy and redbubble write in their TOS that what you sell should be your intellectual property and thus, they don't have to take repercussions because those fines are paid by the seller instead. A small site like this one doesn't have that kind of defence, so both the seller and the site owner could get into legal trouble if a company decides to sue them both. If your siggy pet was a red mouse had two swords on it's back, it might be a different scenario so i've asked Diana directly and get i'll get back to you on that! hope this helps somewhat~

Postby Gwenoir » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:21 pm

[+] SPOILER
Day 1
14/20
Day 2
7/20

Done and done!

That does help quite a bit; it doesn't help that the law itself is so fuzzy. I mean, I wouldn't sell it for wings, that's pretty much the same as regular money, but would site currency still qualify? And how far removed from the original would it have to be to be considered a derivative work? I certainly don't want to get Windlyn itself in trouble.

Postby ShiroGEM » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Got a response! Diana said that it should be fine to share, trade fanart for whatever! Wings, feathers, items, art etc. included as long as it is community organised~ (Windlyn doesn't fund art shops and doesn't host the images.) The TOS says something along the lines of we're responsible for what we post so you're free to do so ^^

The laws are certainly really vague :strain: the right to sell fan merch is a common debate amongst professional and hobbyist artists alike but it's usually more clear cut for stuff that is Disney owned, including Starwars, Marvel etc. Disney has been known to crack down hard on this stuff

Next

Return to Welcome Wagon