New here? Introduce yourself!

Latest rat in the pantry

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Latest rat in the pantry

Postby Gingerale » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:05 pm

I don't think I would like the taxes in Denmark! I don't like them here in the US ! :cry:

But a higher minimum wage is good for those that don't go on to a technical school or career path.

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 2:48 pm

Postby Pop » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:07 am

Yeah all in all to each nation their own approach, and even if there was not such a large Tax pressure I think the size of the US would make it unfeasible to adopt the social models from Scandinavia, you kinda need a "village" sized population to pull it off I think.
Thanks to the high minimum wage, you dont need a second job if you work at macdonalds here, Despite the tax pressure.
On the other hand, if you dont save up and start your own business, you are stuck as a wage slave forever.
Dubious changes to business law in the past 25 or so years (post joining the EU) have caused a situation where ALOT of companies are run purposfully with negative income, its a bit of a complicated situation but can somewhat easily be explained like this:

You start up a company that rent out specialized tools, get a business loan to buy said expensive specialized tools.
Start another company that does construction, get a business loan to fund the leasing of expensive specialized tools.
Lease your 2nd company tools from the 1st company at an outrageous price, bankrupting the second company.
You then sell the tools to recapture 50% of the original loan.
You now sit on 150% of the value of the tools, and all the debt belongs to your companies, not you.
Declare bancruptcy and do it again.

I know first hand because I have done so myself al-be-it with different types of companies, it is technically not illegal, thou pretty immoral.
It usually is not the objective when starting a company, but if things dont go well, it is a tempting way to get off the burning ship.

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 11:48 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:50 pm

I guess you don't have the same bankruptcy laws as here then? Actually, I am not sure you could legally do all that here anyway. I believe if have more then one company there are ethic laws. Not sure what it all entails because I haven't had a need to be self employed like that before. Makes my head spin.

I think people do use bankruptcy to escape having to pay out though.

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 3:48 pm

Postby galled » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 pm

I think the loophole is the lending rules. People think bankers/loan officers are smart or tough, but it's not always the case.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Pop » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Having read up on it just now, it seems a law was implemented that states you need to pay a security deposit to start a company now.
Wont really solve the issue, just bars entry to the fraud for poor people :

But yes, the main issue (besides a lack of morals) would be that financers dont really loose any money on lending, since banks can lend out money they dont have (you deposit 10$ and the bank can legally lend out 100$ based on that deposit), there is effectively no loss when people dont pay them back, in addition that non-existant money is insured so they get paid for taking no loss.
The system "works" until you more than 90% of all loans forfeit, at which point a country is so far gone economically that it effectively wont exist for much longer anyway.

Postby Gingerale » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:47 pm

Nice, you got a moon back ground from fishing!

People aspire to have their own business but it is actually a big head ache.

Postby Pop » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:02 pm

yeah got two different moon BGs in a row from fishing, so once in "a blue moon" I might switch it up :cheeky:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:06 pm

hahha that was clever! There are five different moon backgrounds.

Postby Pop » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:54 am

Getting all the space space stuff it seems.
Even got Pluto in there!

While I am a big fan of empyrical evidence, I do belong to the segment of Science fans that like having 9 planets and dinosaurs without feathers :cool:

Postby Gingerale » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:36 pm

When the star pond came out it was a space theme event so hence, lots of space theme items.

Dinosaurs with feathers are just giant birds.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:51 pm

Pluto is a planet! I don't care what they say...Pluto is a planet and the Voyager proves it!

Postby galled » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:31 pm

V'ger phone home!

I'm in the Pluto is a planet group. Didn't they find that Pluto has a moon? I think that would seal it-you can't have a moon unless you're a planet, right?

Now the moons especially around the gas giants are really interesting.

Server Administrator

Postby (-o-) » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:41 pm

I heard Pluto isn't considered a planet, yet, because it's currently too small and hasn't cleared out it's "neighborhood" of space junk. This was many years ago, however, so I doubt the accuracy of my memory... and the actual information haha.

ImageImage
ty Mouse

Postby Vivianne » Sun May 03, 2020 8:00 am

I think I read that one of Neptune's moons has a moon! It's a moonmoon!

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 4:48 pm

Previous

Return to Welcome Wagon