New here? Introduce yourself!

Hello?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Hello?

Postby phenolphthalein » Wed Oct 23, 2024 4:11 pm

Hello!
I'm phenolpthalein, they/them.
I'm curious how active this site is. I've been feeling some nostalgia but so many avatar sites are quite dead.
Things about me...
I enjoy a variety of arts and crafts, especially fiber arts. I knit, crochet, spin, weave, dye yarn and fiber...
My favorite color is purple. I like wearing jewel tones and earthy colors.

Local time: Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:28 pm

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
Sammi
they/them
:L_Wing: My Pets :R_Wing:

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Re: Hello?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Oct 23, 2024 4:33 pm

Hello & welcome!

I am afraid we are not real active but we are a friendly community. If you post in a thread someone will eventually respond... its like taking a trip home to visit & reconnect. Some of us are on almost everyday to check in. There are members from other sites so you may recognize user names.

There should be a Halloween event sometime in the next wee, we are more active during event times.

Purchase items in the Lazarus shop when you see them because they may never be back again. Lots of items to purchase so earn feathers by playing games everyday & posting.

Local time: Thu Oct 24, 2024 8:28 pm

Postby galled » Wed Oct 23, 2024 7:18 pm

Hello and welcome!

What kinds of things do you knit?

Enjoy your time here!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby phenolphthalein » Wed Oct 23, 2024 9:26 pm

Thanks for the welcomes :smile:

Lemon Cheesecake Thanks for the tips!

galled I like to knit socks. I also have a circular sock machine which allows me to keep making socks even when my wrists need a break from tiny needles.
current project

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Oct 23, 2024 11:15 pm

Come visit me in my threads ... I have links to my game threads in my avatar's signature ( which appears on the first post of a page).

Do you make hats/toque's as well as socks??
Do you have a favorite wool you like to use?

Postby galled » Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:54 am

Cool! I'd never heard of a circular sock machine. Is that like tube socks? Do you use yarn in it?

I have questions about spinning and dying (if you dnn't mind!). :)

I know of hand spinning, and colonial spinning wheels, but have no idea how things are done today for hobbiests (sorry couldn't think of a better word?).

Thanks!!

Server Administrator

Postby phenolphthalein » Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:01 pm

galled wrote:Cool! I'd never heard of a circular sock machine. Is that like tube socks? Do you use yarn in it?

I have questions about spinning and dying (if you dnn't mind!). :)

I know of hand spinning, and colonial spinning wheels, but have no idea how things are done today for hobbiests (sorry couldn't think of a better word?).

Thanks!!

Yes! It can make heels and toes as well using a short row technique. The cuff isn't ribbed but you can double-layer so it still has more snug-ness than the leg of the sock. It uses standard sock-weight yarn. There is a special attachment that allows 1x1 ribbing for cuffs, but I don't have one.

I don't mind at all! I love sharing crafty excitement! :heart:

Different spinners use different equipment, plenty of folks use vintage spinning wheels and wheels of the same styles. There's also spindle spinning which doesn't involve a wheel but produces yarn at a slower rate. But spindles are really portable and affordable. There are also e-spinners which run on electricity rather than a treadle, which can make spinning more accessible for folks who may have trouble treadling for one reason or another.

I have two spinning wheels, a Schacht Matchless and a gorgeous travel wheel from a small company called Athena Spinning. They're both wonderful wheels.

Postby phenolphthalein » Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:25 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Come visit me in my threads ... I have links to my game threads in my avatar's signature ( which appears on the first post of a page).

Do you make hats/toque's as well as socks??
Do you have a favorite wool you like to use?

Thanks!

Yes I makes hats too occasionally! I actually have one in progress right now thats made with yarn I spun myself! (It looks like I don't have any photos of that hat, but I'll share when it's done)
Favorite wool is such a difficult decision! As far as yarns, Malabrigo has a lot of good stuff in gorgeous colors.

Postby Gingerale » Thu Oct 24, 2024 5:44 pm

Whaat?? You spin your own ??? I am so impressed !!!

Come visit my freebie thread for a welcome gift! :heart:

Local time: Thu Oct 24, 2024 7:28 pm

Return to Welcome Wagon