New here? Introduce yourself!

lolhay.

Moderator: Ryvvi

lolhay.

Postby Plague » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:07 pm

Ohay. Just found this site. owo
Looks like a lot of people from Syn are here and such.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 9:39 am

Re: lolhay.

Postby Cookie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:00 pm

ON SYN? WHATAREYOUTALKINGABOUT
Hi! Welcome to Windlyn!! It's new but hope you stay around and chat!

Say hello to Miss Windlyn, Bombshell, Lady Cookie.
[+] SPOILER

Postby Plague » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 pm

xD I just recognize a bunch of names from Syn is all.

But yeah, I probably will. It's kind of neat being on new sites.
Seeing how they grow and all that kind of stuff.

Postby Yuracye » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:29 am

Pssh. There's no Yuracye on Syn, what are you talking about.
This is nonsense things.
Bah.

Welcome to Windlyn though!
Hello!

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 11:39 am

Just lurkin'.

TH | dA

Postby Lime » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Hello, welcome to Windlyn!

This site actually has nothing to do with Syn- although somebody advertised us in a signature there, so we've had an influx of people from there. So don't think in any way we're affiliated! Haha. This is a stand alone project between Diana and myself, so no worries.

Although, you'll probably see Diana and I mention this a lot, we're in the midst of redoing the avatar system, so we are having people be naked for a little while! Don't worry! It's only temporary!

But again, welcome to Windy! :)

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 12:39 pm

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Ghost » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Welcome to Windlyn, glad you could make it!

Lime: I've been advertising in my sig on Gaia, but not Syn. O 3O
Who's advertising on Syn? I haven't seen it. //maybei'mslow

However I posted the site on a fb page that a LOT of people from Syn are on, aha.

ImageImage
Nibbly wants a sacrifice
Wiggly wants his wrath
We dance around the pentagram
And take all our kingdoms back

Postby Alecto » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:15 pm

I've recognized every name I've seen from Syn. I am an expert lurker.

I'm kind of worried because advertising for other sites is against Syn's rules? I wonder why someone didn't just create a discussion thread, because the staff there is pretty lax about discussions on other sites (definitely seen Ernya, Gaia, Chrysandrea, and KofK threads there). They just don't want advertisements, and a signature banner for Windlyn is definitely an advertisement.

I also think it's a little rude, since not only is Syn small, it's also relatively new compared to most other avatar sites. I wouldn't think of advertising on Ernya and even that site is older and has more members. Gaia is the only site where I think it's justified to advertise on without being rude. I've seen ads for other avatar sites on Gaia, so they don't really care.

Actually, to be honest, I don't think this site needs people or advertisement right now. It isn't finished, and if you start advertising, traffic might cause problems, or people will click links, see how unfinished the site is, and not want to come back.

Postby Ghost » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 pm

I found a link to a site called Eos in someone's sig on Syn and I'm pretty sure no one told them not to.
Idk though, I've been pretty much done with Syn for a while now.

I advertise on Gaia in my sig but honestly, I hardly ever post there anyway. I'm surprised a couple of people actually saw it and joined because of it. c:

And I think bringing people in now can be a great thing. It shows they have faith in the site, it keeps the admins going and shows them people have interest. We don't want them to give up because no one seems interested, you know?

I think the site not being finished can excite people, which is what I used in my sig advertisement on Gaia. This means people come in before any of the donation items come out, they can purchase the very first ones. Also, you're ahead of the game on getting feathers and everything... I think it's great to be here so early.

Postby Alecto » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:18 pm

It's... very much against Syn's rules. I've reread them. Even if it wasn't, it'd still be rude.

Anyways, some people joining is fine. Ask friends to join. But traffic can be an issue. Windlyn is hosted on a personal server. There is no hosting service that will let the admins upgrade easily in case their server cannot handle the traffic. That is why if you notice you're getting a ton of people through your link, you may want to reconsider keeping it up. Traffic, combined with some new avatar feature = lots of image compiling = resource usage.

If you want to encourage the admins, volunteer to help out. There aren't a lot of items- why not save them some time and help design some? Suggest new features, tell them what they are doing right and what they can improve on. Make sure they're not dumb suggestions ("you need more face items", since it's really obvious and they know and that can be annoying and discouraging rather than encouraging.) A big userbase is nothing compared to a dedicated one.

Postby Lime » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Honestly, I think we should save this discussion for another thread. Not somebody's welcoming thread.

I understand how you feel, but we never asked for people to advertise for us, and we don't know where people are necessarily advertising from- we appreciate good nature and being polite. So we're sorry if we offended anyone.

But our goal isn't to become the biggest, most popular, or well-known site. We know it won't be. We're small, but dedicated. And we appreciate all forms of help from our users, who mean a lot to us. Although I do appreciate the help, Alecto, but we're working on things as we go along. The best way to learn is through mistakes. We're not going to give up just because something seems hard. :) So we're sorry to offend. If I find who's advertising, I'll be sure to remind them to abide by the other site's rules, not just our own.

Postby Plague » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:27 pm

I actually didn't see anyone advertising over on Syn or anything like that.
I saw a couple of friends on Facebook post something about this new site, so I figured I'd check it out. lolol.

But yeah, I figured this site wasn't affiliated with Syn at all, so. xD
Hell, I haven't even really been on there all that much lately. Pff.

Anyway, thanks for all the welcomes. <:

Postby Cookie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:25 am

Nobody is advertising this in Syn, there is no need to discuss about it.
Plague, I've seen your name somewhere too but I have a bad memory, orz.

Postby Plague » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:23 am

Well, I'm Plague over on Syn too so that's probably where you've seen me. xD
Or, you know, I'm Juggernaut everywhere else for the most part, so.

Return to Welcome Wagon