Lost? Need help? Ask anything here.

Notifications Setting

Notifications Setting

Postby Akuyi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:33 am

Is there a setting where we can select which notifications to receive?

For example, I love being notified about announcements and being mentioned or quoted, but would rather not see notifications about subscribed thread updates.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Re: Notifications Setting

Postby Diana » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:45 am

At the moment, no there isn't a way to turn on or off notifications.
If you don't want to be notified of a thread you are subscribed to, you could always unsubscribe from it.

Site Admin

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 am

Postby Akuyi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 am

Is it planned for the future?

Postby Diana » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:45 pm

I plan to add the ability to silence some notification types, but I didn't have any intention to do it for subscriptions. If you unsubscribe from all threads, it's essentially turns off the notification, since there is nothing left to notify you of.

Site Admin

Postby Akuyi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Well, since you are subscribed to a thread simply by posting in it, your proposal would mean a lot of work, because I'd have to unsubscribe from every thread after every single post.

I check my subscribed thread page regularly anyway, so the notifications for it are sort of redundant for me. And I don't see why other notifications should be adjustable, but subscription notifications not. :strain:

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:40 pm

you're subbed automatically to threads you make.

you have to manually sub to threads you comment in. It doesn't sub you to it just because you commented on it.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 am

Postby Akuyi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:43 pm

No, it does. I'm always automatically subscribed to threads I post in.

I've unsubscribed from the "How many feathers do you have" thread at least 6 times already. And I'm always subscribed to the threads of Newbies for greeting them, too.

I'm not saying I hate being automatically subscribed. I like this feature cause it helps me keeping track of conversations and keeping a tab on threads I might wanna visit again later. I just don't wanna be notified about all of them.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:01 am

so far I am only notified if one of the threads I started gets a response or if someone quoted me. I have to go to unread threads to view any of the other threads I like to write in. Am I missing something to get onto the notification for threads I generally chat in? Can we do that?

Postby Akuyi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 am

I wonder why this is happening for me and not for you. Do we have a forum setting for this? .-.

Postby Diana » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:19 am

There is a setting!
Under your posting settings, you can set "Notify me upon replies by default" to "no". This will apply to the quick-reply and full-editor defaults, but you can always use the checkbox under the text box in the full editor to change the setting when you post.

Site Admin

Postby Akuyi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:26 am

Wait, is this for notifications or for auto-subscription? Or are they the same?

Postby Diana » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:32 am

I didn't decide that it was phpbb lol. I think because it's under 'posting settings' it is supposed to mean that you will be notified on replies to places you post.

I still don't see why we need a separate toggle for subscription notifications. If you don't want to be notified of anything, just don't subscribe to any threads.

Site Admin

Postby Akuyi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:37 am

Well, we only have one way of tabbing threads for quick access and that's by subscription. I just want to be able to view my favorite topics in a simple list (the subscription page does this for me) without being notified about updates in threads I currently don't care about but that I don't wanna forget about.

Does this make sense?

Is that what the option actually does?

Or could you just kindly treat this as a feature request even if you can't understand why I want this? :strain:

Postby Diana » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm

hrm. I think I get it. You want to use the subscriptions as a bookmarking feature?

If I can understand how you want to use the site, I can help point you to an existing feature or better implement a new one!
I added a detail about subscription toggling to my list. :)

Site Admin

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Aha, so much power of choice I didn't realize I had ~! I'm going to try it out, thank you for the reminder!

Next

Return to Help/Support