Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Memories as flashbacks (feel free to share)

Moderator: Ryvvi

Memories as flashbacks (feel free to share)

Postby Nek0Nerd0 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:39 am

There's a reason why human lives are precious. It's because of the things they've seen.

I suppose we all have our own way of remembering things, but my memories come in... cutscenes. Like in an anime. And that's what I wanna share here.

You can join in, you can either comment, give your own, but for me I'll just post my memories in huge posts. So I don't bump unnecessarily. That's it, have fun, I can start.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:15 am

Last active May 2021.

Re: Memories as flashbacks (feel free to share)

Postby Nek0Nerd0 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:49 am

Really, the one that was on my mind recently was the time when I was in Indonesia.
Indonesia's known to have... remarkably fancy malls. Too many of them sure but I still consider them fancy. But that's not what's profound to me. What's profound to me is their parking lots.
Yes, the parking lot. Or sometimes parking basements. The bigger the mall, the more organized they are. Fancier malls would have each floor of the basement marked by an animal so when the visitors are done and are going back to their cars, all they have to do is remember the animal and the letter associated to the area of their car. Now THIS, I miss.
I get a flashback of me walking from our car and towards the mall entrance in the basement parking lot.
It's so... it makes me homesick because this is just lacking outside Asia. It's not prevalent in Australia nor Germany. So that's why this is something I think is worth remembering.

Postby Gingerale » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:14 pm

I have moments where something or some word will give me a flashback.

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:15 pm

Postby Nek0Nerd0 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:47 pm

That's right, it's been a while since I ice skated...
I used to ice skate a lot when I was a child. When I come home to Indonesia to visit my grandparents, there was this one mediocre mall that actually had an ice rink on the top floor right next to the food court so everyone can watch.
My parents brought me to that place at least once every visit during Christmas times. No matter where I was, inland or overseas.
But now that's long gone. They removed the ice rink.
It's now being replaced with a cinema.
It's always hard and sad to see old places being changed. I even don't recognize my "hometown" anymore. Quotes because I wasn't born there, but merely stayed in that small town my whole childhood.

Postby Nek0Nerd0 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:51 pm

*giggles because the memory was a silly one
So I was in Malaysia and, there was this one restaurant that's not there anymore.
It was a "nasi kandar" which I would tell you is more of a 24/7 self-serve restaurant.
There were two things that I loved getting there, it was either a chicken curry rice, or the instant curry noodles from Maggi. Mmm so delish, if I ever see that Maggi curry noodles again, I would get a package in a heartbeat. It's just that tasty.
Now what made the memory funny was, me and my family decided at one point to eat at that place at 4AM in the morning. All in PJs. Together.
The nasi kandar was literally across the road, which made us wonder why they had to disband. We were sure that it was a successful place. Oh well, its place stays in our hearts.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat May 04, 2019 2:56 pm

When I think of Indonesia I assume it is hot and humid so I was surprised to hear it had an ice rink at one time...I would have thought that would be expensive to up keep.

For a couple years I lived where it was so cold that the lakes and ponds would freeze over and people would go ice skating outside. I tried it a couple times but the surface is not smooth like a rink and I fell flat on by back and ended up with stitches on my head.

Local time: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 pm

Postby NerdyAliCat » Sat May 04, 2019 5:41 pm

Ooooh that sounds painful!

Talking of ice skating and cold reminds me of one of my visits to Italy. It was my first time seeing snow, well, it was more like mush since the snow season was over so we had to drive a long way to see what was left. Me, my dad, his italian cousin and their dog went and it was super fun. The dog was having a blast. He was a small black dog but by the end of it he was totally white! But I remember the whole time being freezing because I didn't have any shoes on and I left my shoes in the car and we didn't go back and get them! :cry:

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 pm

ImageImage
Thanks Yorunaka! - Thanks Valentine Strange!

Postby Nek0Nerd0 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 am

I saw a small green plant with thin leaves and it instantly gave me a flashback to when I was a 6-year old, playing with a particular plant:

A shy plant.

I always identify with this plant. When it gets touched, it closes on itself. I loved this plant. It was fun to play with, it never got me bored, and I always loved searching for one.
Sadly it's only found around Asia. So I'll be sure to look for one when I head back.

Return to Hinterland