Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Riding in the car - driving experiences - share yours

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Riding in the car - driving experiences - share yours

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:44 pm

ShiroGem, you may not get carsick if YOU are the one driving. Most cars are automatic which takes out the guess work of when to shift, such as when you are driving a manual and now the new cars have screens and alerts to help you back up, slow down etc. I don't have anything fancy like that on mine though!

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 4:15 am

Postby Ryvvi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:31 am

this! ^^^^^^
i can get quite bad nausea while being a passenger, but i get absolutely nothing while driving
im not sure how that works :S

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 10:15 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby murmurlade » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 am

I forgot about my motion sickness.... I've thrown up on a plane, on a boat, in a car.... but this only happens when I'm reading or focusing my attention on something. Why?? WHy??

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 7:15 pm

----------------------------------------
taugeeee @ twitter / deviantart / gaia
currently: questing bubble wings

always semi-hiatus due to work
please ping me if you want a reply.
----------------------------------------

Postby ciel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:47 pm

hey i get carsick too
from what i understand it happens when the information from your inner ear(balance/motion) conflict with the information from your eyes
so if you're concentrating on something like a book or game, your eyes say you're not moving, but your inner ear says you are

i've never gotten it on an airplane though o-o
but i absolutely have to look out the window of a car or shut my eyes

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 3:15 am

Postby murmurlade » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:00 pm

.....and that makes us sick??
body 1, mind 0. airplane is pretty stable, so it was only one time. when the air pressure in my ears was adjusting i got a headache and ran to the toilet. im a very weak person i guess >_>

Postby ShiroGEM » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:21 am

Ah nope, I wasn't even reading or focusing on anything. In fact I was staring outside to try and stop it but it didn't work. I was only able to stop getting carsick after I convinced my mom to get me an Ipod so I could listen to music on the car.

@Lemon
I'd have to wait 4 years at least until I can try driving. xD But I guess cars have evolved now, the one we have is almost 15 years old so it has nothing fancy.

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:06 pm

In the U.S. you can get your learners permit at 15 and your driving permit at 16

Postby galled » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:44 pm

I think it varies by state. I seem to recall you could get a learners permit at 14 or 14.5 in Florida or some other southern state.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby murmurlade » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:28 pm

holy crap, that's so young!
why would anyone think that's a good idea.. ?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:22 pm

I have no idea

Postby galled » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:25 pm

I think it's because they're in rural areas. Perhaps they want their kids to work (child labor). LOL, I just made that up, but sometimes old laws/regulations just stick around and they came up with that long ago. It's hard to imagine rural areas with really low populations, but they may exist somewhere today still.

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:40 pm

hmm, so, I decided to do a little research because I had heard something about children of farmers needing to drive farm equipment at an early age. But surprise: the first couple decades of cars no one needed a license! (See below). And I really didn't find anything about farmers being a reason.

[+] SPOILER
At the turn of the 20th century, driver's licenses were not required, and any family could strap a self-made engine to their wagon. However, as cars became more common in the 1920s, the number of drivers increased, which led to an increase in the number of accidents. Driving skills thus became a necessary prerequisite to freely driving automobiles, and a system of driver's licensing and examinations was born.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_5552087_histo ... cense.html

Postby murmurlade » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:58 am

I learnt something new again today >_>
I've seen kids as young as 10-12 zip around the neighbourhood on motorbikes... I guess they're not actually going out to the road (since its a sort-of gated community) but its still dangerous.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:05 am

Motorcyclelicense rules here are different then automobiles but you still need a license and we have dirt bikes that are like motorcycles but I am not sure if they need licenses, I don't think they do because an awful lot of kids drive ride them off road.

Postby galled » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:14 am

The term off road is the defining factor. Anything on publoc roads are regulated by government (requiring licenses, registration, insurance etc.). This is why off road doesn't require these things unless it's public land (then requirements and restrictions can be made). Your gated community is private property. However some places require registration of all vehicles regardless of where it will be operated (even bicycles).

Server Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland