Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Moving and such things

Moderator: Ryvvi

Moving and such things

Postby Shakespeare » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:50 pm

So I've recently moved from New Zealand to Melbourne in Australia. My dad got offered a job so he took the offer. Seeing as how I didn't have many friends and my job wouldn't have been able to support me, I moved with them.
It's been really exciting, seeing as there's so many things to do in Melbourne, and for the first month we lived in an apartment in the city.
Now I just have to try and find a job, which is gonna be difficult lol
Also not sure what I want to study...

So! Have any of you moved before? And if so where to?

oh! And I was also born in South Africa... and moved to New Zealand when I was 10. So I've been around the world lol

Local time: Sun May 12, 2024 4:29 am

Image Image

Re: Moving and such things

Postby (っ◕‿◕)っ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:08 am

I moved 3 times in my life, but not too far away. The town I grew up in is 2, maybe 3, miles away from where I live now.
Last time I moved is 2.5 years ago. I was excited about the new house part, but I hate packing things and forgetting what was in what box.

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 7:29 pm

Postby Shakespeare » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Yeah, I guess that's the major downside to moving. Making sure that nothing gets left behind and that you remember where everything is lol
We had to throw so many things away cause we had way too much stuff

Postby (っ◕‿◕)っ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:41 pm

You never know how much you actually have, until you're going to move :<

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 7:29 pm

Postby Lime » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:50 am

Holy crap! That's.. Wow!

I've lived in the same city all my life. I was in the same HOUSE until I was 17.

When I was 17, I got kicked out. My mom and I didn't agree on much, and she went a little bonkers. My parents and my older sister still live there now.

I moved around with my sister a bit. She moved out earlier because of college, and I moved in with her. Uhh.. To date, I think I've been at.. Lemme count.. Haha.

3 or so different places? Maybe 4. Somewhere around there. Does sleeping on a cot in someone's living room for a few months count? LOL. But naw, it was tough. But I'm still out of the house. My sister moved back in with my parents, and I did for a year. But it was.. Absolutely awful. I realized I could never go back. So I moved back out, but she stayed.

But it's still always been in the same city. That's nuts that you've been so many places!

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 1:29 pm

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Shakespeare » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Oh wow. I mean, my mom and I have our differences, but I don't think she would ever kick me out.

I've lived in about 4 houses... lol and one apartment.
Yeah, I feel very lucky to have been able to travel so far. Even if I wasn't overly keen on the first move.

I still feel like we have too much stuff... Even though we threw away so much lol

Postby Lime » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:23 am

Ugh I hate having too much stuff. The last time I moved, I only took the bare necessities haha. My mom keeps telling me to come get the rest of my stuff, and I'm like "I DON'T WANT IT." Lol!

Postby Shakespeare » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:03 am

lol! That's kind of like my sister. We had all these old toys and books and stuff of hers, but she didn't want any of it, and mum doesn't want her to throw them out xD Otherwise she would have just chucked it all.

Postby Lime » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:32 am

Lol! My mom and sister are the opposite. They hoard things like crazy. My dad is kinda like that too, but with specific things. All three of them just keep so much junk around, and just keep piling it on. It's frustrating!

I think less is more, usually. Haha. I don't use much stuff anyways, so when I want to move, I don't want to lug around boxes of crap that I don't even use! Like, back at my parent's house, there's boxes and boxes in the basement and the shed of all just crap they haven't thrown out. I'm gonna go over there in the summer and just start chucking it.

Postby Shakespeare » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:12 am

Ooh, wow. Be careful though, if they're attached to it fighting will ensue... I've seen enough hoarder programmes to know where that will lead lol
Even though my mum isn't a hoarder, she gets uptight and defensive when dad tries to throw stuff out xD She always has to watch him and make sure he's not gonna throw something important away.

Even though we threw out so much stuff, I feel like we still have too much. lol

Postby Lime » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:30 am

Yeah, it's hard when people find sentimentality in everything. That's how they are with a lot of things. A lot is from like, grandparents and whatnot, and some have passed away. So they cling to it. But I tell them it's okay to keep one or two, but most of it has to go.

They're not like hoarders.. It doesn't LOOK bad. Unless you look really close. It looks like an average home, but to me I can see stuff everywhere that has to go. Like, just random boxes here and there that have been there so long, you even forget they exist? It's like they become a decoration almost, like you feel like that box NEEDS to be there- like it's its place. But it's not, and it's easy to forget that things need to be taken care of.

And yeah, I get what you mean. My parents and sister still live in the same house. They moved in when my sister was 1, and when I was born. Been there ever since. So you can imagine how much crap is there, haha.

Postby Shakespeare » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:46 pm

Ooh, I see. Yeah, I get that as well lol Like with random objects I've had for so long, even though I've never or hardly used them and I can't part with them. They've been in my room so long that it would be weird if I didn't have them.

I think moving helps to get rid of stuff you usually wouldn't. If dad had his way he'd have thrown a whole lot more out lol

Postby Cora » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:40 am

Lets see, without delving too much into the reasons WHY I have moved so much I'll tell you about the places I've been.

I was born in western new york, and I lived there until I was 16.

At 16 I got married to my first husband and the two of us moved out briefly to California. When his practice fell through a year later he moved us out to Arizona instead.

At 20 I divorced my husband and moved back to New York.

Over the course of the three years following that I moved to North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Alaska, Wyoming and then Idaho.

I married a second time at age of 24, and we settled in Texas. Although for six months he did drag me over to Canada, but I never left the house unless accompanied by him.

At the age of 26 I divorced my second husband, and moved back to New York where I live currently.

Postby Shakespeare » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Oh wow, you've been all over the place.
Did you enjoy moving or was it too many places?

Postby Cora » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:04 am

I like seeing new places, but I never moved for good reasons. So moving is a sad and frightening experience for me. Plus there's the fact that I never really stayed in any place long enough to set my grounds and make friends.

But I have seen a lot of places, so at least there is that.

Next

Return to Hinterland