Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Official name change

Moderator: Ryvvi

Official name change

Postby I Shall Engrave » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:00 pm

I'm researching the process of legally changing my first and last name. Apparently I have to appeal to a court and pay a fine. It seems like a tedious process because it consists of finding all of my documents as proof of identity, changing my name on most of said documents, and getting approval from a judge.

Have you ever gone through this or known someone who has? Some insight would be helpful.

Would you consider this procedure?

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 12:54 pm

Re: Official name change

Postby Mousy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:12 pm

Well, just changing my last name was a pain in the butt after I got married. So many forms. So many lines. :cry:
I don't know about all of that court and appeal stuff. I guess my version of that was getting my marriage license bc of course that's what all of the other places required of me. And birth certificate and social and drivers license.

And you have to pay a fee for like everything.
I do not envy the process you are about to go through.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 2:54 pm

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby I Shall Engrave » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:15 pm

You wouldn't have to go through the court if you're changing your last name for marriage. I have other personal reasons.

The fee is $65 but I'm not sure if it's inclusive for everything.

I'm not doing it until I'm completely independent. It won't be known until it's done.

Postby Mousy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:21 pm

You still have to go to the courthouse for the JP and pay a fee to get the marriage licence, but if you do counseling, you can get it cheaper.

Even still, both processes are tedious and costly.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 2:54 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:27 pm

I haven't known anyone who has changed their name other then for marriage or business name change (which you have to have it in a newspaper for a set amount of time for that). Good luck!

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 1:54 pm

Postby galled » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:01 pm

I Shall Engrave wrote:You wouldn't have to go through the court if you're changing your last name for marriage. I have other personal reasons.

The fee is $65 but I'm not sure if it's inclusive for everything.

I'm not doing it until I'm completely independent. It won't be known until it's done.

Perhaps this is at the root of your dream?

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Diana » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:05 pm

I have a coworker who recently changed just her first name. She said it cost her $400, and almost a month to do. I think it involved appealing to court, running a notice in the newspaper, and a few other things.

Site Admin

Postby I Shall Engrave » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:17 am

galled: I doubt it. I don't give it much thought since it's not happening soon. It could be one of the myriad of things I keep from my family.

Diana: I heard that you do have to announce your name change in the paper unless you have a special reason not to. I doubt I'll be exempted from that.

Postby galled » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:37 am

I'm reading between the lines a bit so I may be wrong, but know that if you're changing your name to hide/not be found, you can still be found. It might be a little harder to find you, but you can still be found. Compared to the old days when you had to go to the records department and search, *everything* is on the internet today and your new name can be found/connected to you literally in a couple of minutes (although you may have to pay something for it now). I've been the victim of stalking and have had my identity stolen so I've learned a bit about privacy and how to keep it in the process.

Server Administrator

Postby Maro » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:14 am

I legally changed my name at 18, all i needed was two pieces of ID [photo & otherwise like mail with my address on it and my birth certificate]
the only thing is my dad lost my birth certificate so i had to pay for a new one and THEN pay for my name change , wait for it to go through court and have it approved and then go pick up the new certificate with my new name on it, all in all it cost me 65 bucks or so, which wasn't bad.

but then again i live in canada. >v>;

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 6:24 pm

Art by - ciel

Return to Hinterland