Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Give Me Your Tips

Moderator: Ryvvi

Give Me Your Tips

Postby Bassy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:27 pm

So I start the next semester next month and I need to prepare myself to do better. I just need tips if you're a college student or a graduate. I need to know how to stud correctly, especially with multiple classes. I know how to stay motivated by searching studyblr on tumblr or pinterest. It's weird how I stay motivated about that. But I just want to hear your thoughts.

How to study, how to take notes efficiently, ect...

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 8:25 pm

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Re: Give Me Your Tips

Postby galled » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Different classes (subject and class type) require different strategies. Can you give us an idea of what you've got next semester or are you just interested in general tips?

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 6:25 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Bassy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:18 pm

More like general tips. Since my academic probation, I am going to have to rearrange my classes.

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 8:25 pm

Postby galled » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:39 pm

I've been meaning to get back to this. OK, general tips.

While you're going to learn many things as an undergrad, the most difficult things are; learning to learn, time management, and resource management (how to deal with stupidity). This is probably because it's the stuff they don't teach you!

1. You have to learn to teach yourself/learn from the materials and resources available to you. Many teachers at university level really do not teach anything. The good ones do, but that's another peeve of mine.

2. Best advice is to do as much as you can sooner rather than later--even if they tell you not to. Teachers almost always tell you not to read ahead (I think it's more of a matter of not wanting students asking questions too soon rather than your brain exploding or some other nonsense), but I always did at least skim ahead if not fully read ahead. What I learned is you can actually teach yourself pretty much anything if the books/materials don't suck and are actually relevant to the class. (There are far too many bad teachers out there who don't even teach what's in the book or assign books that don't even contain material for the class--but that's another issue.) The idea is to use class time as review/reinforcement rather than an initial mind dunk. This way you'll be ahead of the curve rather than being dragged along behind it. Moral of the story is do as much as you can/finish/complete projects early.

3. Know/figure out the desired outcome/result before you freak out about stuff. Then decide how much resources you can/should attribute to obtaining your goal. Learn to pick your battles. You can't do everything perfectly, so the things worth more are the things you need to spend more effort in doing well with. This applies to people and policies you'll have to work with and deal with. I know you and Monkey work; don't be afraid to speak up and get your work schedule changed if you have school work to do. Remember you're there to finish school, but be sure you actually need time off and not just using that as a crutch to fix procrastination. That's a trap that leads to failure.

Just do your best and feel good you did your best. It can seem overwhelming while you're in the thick of it, but it's how you deal with it and that you get it done on time that counts as far as graduating is concerned.

Hope this helps!

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu May 02, 2024 6:25 pm

Return to Hinterland