Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

I want to thank YouTube for....

Moderator: Ryvvi

I want to thank YouTube for....

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:33 pm

Helping me get the motivation to actually eat better and make healthier choices with my life, even though I just started doing that.

I watched so many youtube videos watching people's weight loss progression that I'm sitting here now, eating a bowl full of cauliflower with spaghetti sauce and a commitment to not taking the elevator (unless I have groceries or laundry to take up with me) that I haven't had before. The spaghetti sauce may not be best thing to put on food when I'm trying to eat healthy, but if it can replace my favorite carb filled dinner, then so be it.

I just feel more serious about it now than ever before... I guess because I'm turning 21 and I have family members who are also overweight (being in a family where both parents weren't really fit and ate a lot can really affect the children because they'll adopt the same lifestyle too and become overweight as well.)

But the biggest thing, I watch these videos and I'll be thinking "This person used to weigh over 300-400 pounds. If they can do it, I can too, being somewhere over 250 pounds, though not yet 300."

But, man, do I love cauliflower and broccoli. The veggies I liked to call "little trees" as a kid, and I loved them then. And they say kids hate veggies. I actually ate mine (Though there are a few I hate).

But like, seriously. I feel so motivated to do this...... My parents are continuously encouraging me like they've been trying to for years, and all these youtube videos are just really making me think and get motivated. I've never been so motivated before in my life! (Well, except the fact I got so motivated into trying to alleviate my fear of heights that I pushed myself into ziplining and v-swinging (you get attached to a long, sturdy cord, wearing a harness, get pulled far back and up and they let you go a-swingin'!) that I actually enjoy doing those. I literally pushed myself into liking those, lol. I pushed myself of the edge I was sitting on or I would be there all day freaking out.)

What about you guys? Has YouTube ever motivated you into doing something you didn't have the drive to do before? Or just ever got the motivation from whatever that helped you change your life for the better?

I just felt like sharing my mind, lol.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:34 am

Re: I want to thank YouTube for....

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:40 pm

That's great you are inspired, Monkeygirl! Because healthier living is a lifestyle not just a fad, it's a matter of choosing other options.

Quite a few people I know go on myfitnesspal.com to keep track of their calories and activity.

Although I wasn't too good about keeping track, I'd miss a day or two, I found it an eye opener to how many calories were actually in what I eat. Sure I read labels but the connection of "this handful" of nuts didn't register into calories and what that meant in my whole daily allowance. Average of 1200-1500 calories is the goal for a day and it depends on whether you are trying to maintain your weight or lose weight.

For example, A starbucks drink with whole milk and whipped cream and flavoring is pretty close to a whole days calories! But, you can have coffee black or add sugar free flavoring or non fat milk or soymilk instead for a lot less calories and still get your coffee fix. You don't have to do without, you just need to do less or have things with other options. Switch to plain hot tea for example, you get a soothing hot beverage with flavor that is probably better for your body.

Myfitnesspal.com did open my eyes to my calorie in take and got me to ask myself - what can I eat that has more volume to fill me up and still satisfy my cravings then just eating this chocolate bar ?( for instance). Or ask myself, if I eat this chocolate bar ( small bite size ones are about 80 calories) what do I have to give up later in the day? Is it worth it?

And a reminder, It is better to eat small amounts through the day then one big meal a day. There are ALOT of foods that have less calories and are good for your body that taste good that you can munch on for snacks too and that have less salt and sugar.

I have some friends who have done weight watchers etc - plans that have meals already prepared for you. They even have frozen dinners in the grocery store you can buy to heat up about 300 calories each ... you could eat 3 of those a day for example and still have salad and veggies throughout the day.

Let us know if we can encourage you in any way!

I like how you are not only challenging yourself - with the zip lining for example- but actually following through. I am proud of you! Hearing things like that inspires me!

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 am

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:20 pm

The biggest thing is, I've been saying, every year, that I want to lose weight. It'd be my New Years Resolution.
This year, it isn't part of my official New Years Resolution list (which this year contains things that aren't entirely important) but I would say it is if someone like my dad asks me. If I do put it on there, I feel like I have to and avoid trying.

I'm not going to do all the tracking of my calorie intake, but I am going to try not to snack too much. I have a tendency to eat throughout the day between meals. I also have to control myself when shopping. I always end up giving in to temptation which is always the hardest. I am also trying to find ways to make all my favorite foods a healthy version. Like the cauliflower in spaghetti sauce actually was pretty good. If I had my own kitchen in an apartment and could cook on a stove (even though I could at my dorm, but convenience comes with having one near the place you're going to eat and I'm not going to cook 4 floors down to take back up with me) and get spaghetti squash because that's amazing to have as a replacement spaghetti. I wish they had frozen spaghetti squash, lol. That way I could heat it up and add spaghetti, lol.

I do eat frozen meals, but they're always pasta because the ones that aren't the pasta ones, and even some pasta ones, I think just taste nasty that I can't get myself to eat them and I'm not normally a picky person. Well, it's also that they're cheap and I just don't care for frozen foods (besides the veggies. Frozen veggies are awesome). But they're also not the weight watchers or anything, they're just cheap $1 frozen meals.

Postby galled » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:26 pm

I think a lot of the frozen meals are good really. You just need to find the good ones. What's great about the $1 ones is you can calculate the calories really easily. In the end all that matters is your calorie count--it's simple math--eat less and move more and you'll lose weight. You can do it! It's the first few days that are the hardest. Once you go a week or so and find what you like to eat, you're golden. We're here for support too as I think most people could to lose a few pounds.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Watery Star » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:26 pm

It's really great to hear how motivated you are and how you're making healthier choices. Keep it up!

For me, my goal is to move around more. I haven't been able to do much of a workout but I have been more aware of when I've been sitting too long. There hasn't been one thing that motivates me, more like a bunch of little things. Sometimes I just think about being capable of walking; hey I'm not so disabled that I can't walk. I should walk, why not do that now? Sometimes it's music. Discovering new music and deciding to get up and dance instead of just listening to it.

Postby Diana » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Congrats on starting your fitness journey! We look forward to hearing about your progress. Keep us updated!

If you're interested in tracking calories, myfitnesspal makes it really easy if you have access to a smartphone or computer!

I really like cauliflower and broccoli too! Do you like them raw or cooked? I really like them cooked and covered in salt. <3 I've also had them baked once, and that was good! I've never had them with spaghetti sauce though.

Frozen meals are good. You should be able to find some canned foods that are easy too (since you don't have super easy access to a kitchen, and no doubt lead a busy college life).

My college has a store/restaurant that's juuuuuust a salad bar, for the kids looking to make some healthier choices. You can get salads with whatever you want, and it usually includes some grilled chicken. Does yours have anything like that?

Most of the youtube channels I follow are craft-related. haha. I have a few friends who follow blogilates though. I find that channel to be very "You can do it!" happy. :)

Site Admin

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:41 am

I like my broccoli and cauliflower cooked. My college also has a salad bar restaurant too, but I've never tried it before.

I follow a bunch of different kinds of channels, haha. Some are craft channels and then gaming channels and just all different types.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:09 am

broccoli and cauliflower microwave really well.

I don't "count" my calories but I do look at the label to see how many calories per serving and then decide if that is something I want to splurge on. I also check out the amount of carbohydrates per serving because that is a killer too.

Return to Hinterland