Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Excitement equals jitterbugs

Moderator: Ryvvi

Excitement equals jitterbugs

Postby Bassy » Fri May 20, 2016 1:53 pm

I am pretty excited but I have the jitter bugs or aka, nervousness. I called a company to set up an interview because they are interested in me from an email. As soon, like right when I got the email, I dialed up the number and set up an interview, yes they were impressed by my speed of calling.

BG info: Okay, well I had a phone interview that wasn't really formal at all. I almost had a job but they said theyre looking for a more long term employee. I needed a job for the summer so I can get a car. I am hoping that the place I am getting an interview at won't reject me because I am only here for the summer, hoping that he won't ask the question or lead me to saying that. I feel like it is a bad thing to mention during an interview. I been looking for about a week or two and I need to find one soon before it is too late....OH WAIT LOL I THOUGHT IT WAS JUNE. But still is coming up fast. :( Tips????? Interview is Monday afternoon...

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 1:41 pm

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Re: Excitement equals jitterbugs

Postby Diana » Fri May 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Ooh! I'm excited for you! Phone interviews are stressful! What kind of job are you interviewing for? Is your interview going to be casual or technical?

Sounds like you've been impressing them already though, it should be a breeze. ;)

Site Admin

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 11:41 am

Postby Bassy » Fri May 20, 2016 2:45 pm

As far as I know it will be casual. I think the word "summer job" isn't appealing according to the first job interview I had.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri May 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Maybe ask if you can "intern" that way you are trained once and you can work during your breaks and the summers in between. If they have another business location near your school you could work shifts during the school year there. ( Say a franchise or market chain).

Some States I believe companies can get tax breaks for hiring " student interns".

Or look for jobs that do want to hire summer interns.Your school might have a list.

Good luck! Sounds like you have the process down just need to convince them that they need you!For most companies the concern is the expense of training someone only to have them leave.

(Restaurants that serve dinner can give good tip money so don't disregard that).

Postby Bassy » Fri May 20, 2016 4:41 pm

I did it before with my first job with fast food, and its a place where you do get tips for serving. (Serving to their cars at a drive in) and I guess that counts as a server I guess. I want retail part of this job because I want some experience in that as well so I can have other jobs as well. I am going to say that I am able to work any position, server, hostess, retail because I don't want to seem driven away. Since it is a restaraunt and a shop

Postby Diana » Fri May 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Im not sure you need to mention summer job. Is it something you could continue part time during school or youd want to pick up again the next summer? You usually can play the "id be a great asset for your company, but school is also important" kind of thing.

Site Admin

Postby Bassy » Fri May 20, 2016 5:37 pm

I could start there and if I like it, I would work at the one where i go to college. That's what I did with my last job

Postby Diana » Fri May 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Yeah! So if it comes up you are looking for a summer job, you could mention you're willing to work while at school the rest of the year. The company Im at hires people like that; we have enough time to properly train employees and get them on a project.

Site Admin

Postby Bassy » Fri May 20, 2016 5:44 pm

I could fall back into the same place when I come back home. Depends if I like the job. I wouldnt want to know on mothers day..... lord it gets busy at the place im going to be interviewed

Postby galled » Fri May 20, 2016 7:15 pm

Just don't label it as a summer job. Just say you want to work full time over the sumer and part time during school. And full time when you are off school. Good luck!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Bassy » Sat May 21, 2016 6:34 am

I may have to leave at the store there and go to the one in the other county. Since I don't want to travel an hour to get to work.

Postby galled » Sat May 21, 2016 9:37 am

It is what it is. They'll either understand and accomodate or they won't. You have requirements as do they. But because they're big they've no doubt seen this before so you're chances are good.

Server Administrator

Postby Bassy » Sat May 21, 2016 12:46 pm

Well maybe Im just worrying too much. My nerves are off the charts lol

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat May 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Hopefully an evening out with friends will distract you from your nervousness - who knows, maybe you will notice a hiring sign somewhere too and start up a conversation with someone and get hired...it has happened...

Walmart, Kohl's Target are hiring out here - but only min wage and no tip money

Postby Bassy » Sat May 21, 2016 11:32 pm

walmart is getting paid more and min wage is better than nothing

Next

Return to Hinterland