Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Excitement equals jitterbugs

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Excitement equals jitterbugs

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun May 22, 2016 1:12 am

I see "hiring" signs out our way but not sure if it is across the nation -re: McDonalds says it has shifts at $10/hr -but if you can get on somewhere where you make tips as well then you have an opportunity to make more money.

What about summer camp programs the county puts on for kids? Have you checked for work listed at the unemployment office?

Local time: Fri May 03, 2024 11:03 pm

Postby Bassy » Sun May 22, 2016 7:42 am

YMCA was hiring but I hadnt gotten a call yet nor an email. I thought I would get it considering im a parks & Rec major

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 1:03 am

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun May 22, 2016 10:50 am

Are you able to go there in person to see? sometimes that does the trick - or call and ask them "I'm calling to find if you filled the position yet.." that way you show interest.

Finding a job along your major would help you to know if you really want to go into that field.

Postby galled » Sun May 22, 2016 3:26 pm

Perhaps you should call them and see if the job has been filled and if not, ask them if it would be possible for you to volunteer for a day to do something to see what it's like. You'll then be able to meet/get to know the people there. More importantly, they'll get to know you. I'm sure they'd like your initiative and believe you'd move up to the top of the applicant list. ;)

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Bassy » Sun May 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Well, I love camps and all that. Plus, I may go into managing sports activities like roller skating rinks. I would LOVE doing that. But I hope I get this job. I just need a job right now

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun May 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Keep it mind for next year then and in the meantime maybe volunteer a bit to get your "face" out there. I hope you get the job that will bring you the most money and that you will enjoy doing.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Congratulations on getting hired!

What kind of car are you looking for?

Postby Bassy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:03 pm

Nothing specific but I'm gonna look at this Jetta. Though I heard bad stuff but I need a first car.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:09 pm

check out the blue book value and google that year for that car and see whether they have had any recalls or problems, is your Dad or anyone helping you do research?

Postby Bassy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:13 pm

I been looking online and this guy said it had some replacements done, oil changes, etc. it looks reckless, it's clean on the inside, according to the pictures. I can't even remember the year. It may be 2003 or 4

Postby Balcan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:27 pm

As far as interview tips go...

First off, you are absolutely right when you say not to mention summer job. Most places look for consistency and they hate having to replace people every couple of months. List your current availability and when you have other plans, negotiate with them to get a more flexible schedule or quit. You don't need to tell them exactly why you quit.

Whatever company you're going into, do your research. Know a basic history, expectations, statistics, etc. that will impress them because you took the time to investigate and it shows commitment.

There are websites that offer possible interview questions and responses to them (ie mockquestions.com) that you can sample answers from but don't regurgitate what people already wrote and add something personal to them.

If it's a phone interview you can read pre-written answers right off your computer screen or notebook.

One last thing - be specific about what you want and what you have to offer. Suit it to the place you're working for instead of making it general. Be concise though because you don't want to bore interviewers with a lengthy life story.

Hope that helps.

Postby Bassy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:33 am

Well, I went through a temp service, and I got a good pay factory job that makes books. Most of the time I don't even mention it because they ask what school I attend to. I was close to getting a job but as they already had five temporary people, they didn't hire me. The hiring manager loved me, she just had to talk to her manager, whom may have different views. I would be getting paid more than any job I applied.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:03 pm

that's some very good advice Balcan... great for anyone looking for work to think about

I know someone who said she started off binding books and ended up being management in a courier service...you just never know...what matters is the work experience and work etiquette that you learn a long the way. Instead of sitting around doing nothing all summer you will be making some money which will give you flexibility and ability to have extra choices.

Postby Bassy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:14 pm

I need to save up back the money I spent for a car I got today! I'm so happy! It's not new of course, but It's usable, low miles, new brakes, well taken care of, no accidents. It's perfect.

This job is for the summer so I can do something. I have things I could do but I need money to do so lol. Skating, wedding dresses, gas, etc.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:52 pm

so happy for you Bassy! Nothing wrong with a used car and it all spells mobility - extra freedom! ( I hope the auto insurance in your state isn't too high)

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland