Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Churning Stomach

Moderator: Ryvvi

Churning Stomach

Postby Bassy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:35 pm

is what I feel like

I start y job tomorrow and I was looking up reviews about it. I hear it has bad management. And though the 20 minutes don't really bother me, I feel that there should be a more better rule for that. I never felt so anxious about a job. I am worried about not being good on the job, or messing up, but mainly just the managers. Idk if all factory jobs have bad managers or what. My friend told me factory people treat you like crap and all.

Should I worry about the managers too much? I mean, it's only for two months.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:50 am

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Re: Churning Stomach

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:43 pm

did the temp agency have any other job opportunities open?

It is only for 2 months and sometimes management are "nicer" or more "lenient" to new employees. But here usually is a production flow that needs to be maintained so maybe the managers get upset if it is too slow?

I am not sure what the 20 minute rule is?

It's common to be nervous the first day. Did the review say how long most people last at that particular job?
Either way, you do your best and always remind yourself you are going to be leaving so don't get involved or sucked into the politics of the other employees. It's one more dollar towards that new car!

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:50 am

Postby Bassy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:46 pm

It was variant on people who stayed.

The 20 minutes is t he breaks. There is like 2-3 of them. I can eat a frozen meal in less than 20 minutes. I usually get 30 anyways on my last job.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:56 pm

I get a bathroom break but don't take a lunch. We used to be able to close for lunch but that got taken away. We are supposed to get 2 10 min coffee breaks and sometimes we take that opportunity to microwave something and gulp it down but generally don't. You learn to eat fast or eat as you work (if you can). But generally I do 8 hours with no break and mostly on my feet the whole time.

20 minutes just means you can't go anywhere for the break - maybe sit outside and eat will help you feel like you are getting out of the place? Bring snackable foods? stuff that is ok to sit out unrefrigerated and that you can eat in a hurry without a big mess. Bringing your own food will help cut costs of eating out so that can be a good thing.

Postby Diana » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:22 pm

In California, you legally have to take an unpaid, 30 minute lunch if you work (I think, not sure what hours are) 5 to 8 hours. More than that, you are legally required to take two breaks. Also, your employeers are required to give you paid 10 minite breaks every 2.5 (I think) hours. I learned that because I got in trouble for not taking a lunch a few times. companies can get into a lot of trouble for "starving" their employees. There is a paper you can sign that exempts you from taking a lunch in 8 hours, I think, but you still have to take an unpaid, 30 minute break if you work more than that. And you can void the paper at any time you wish.

I find people who talk badly about their managers in most jobs did something to piss them off, so I think you'll be fine. haha

Site Admin

Postby Bassy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:29 pm

I can't leave the campus so I have to bring lunch. My last job, we had to clock out for a 30 minute break. Idk bout this job but I have crackers, and maybe get some fruit. I don't eat a lot during the day so I think I will be okay.

Plus this is a 12 hour shifts I will be working. I worked an 11 hour shift a few times because it gets busy.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:50 pm

ouch! 12 hours is a long day! Does that mean you will work a shorter work week?

Postby Bassy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Yes, 3-4 days. I got off early because there was absolutely nothing for us to be assigned.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:13 pm

That's weird they weren't prepared for you - but a good way to break into a new routine I guess

Postby Bassy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:55 am

It was a bad monday for them. There wasn't a crap load of people there. All I did was package one brand of textbooks for french lol. Then fixed boxes which was a pain in the butt.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:20 pm

how did Tuesday go?

Postby Bassy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Worked for 3 hours haha. ALl I did was sweep because the machine was broken. But today I did my first full shift

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:54 pm

12 hours? Were you able to get your breaks?

Postby Bassy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:33 am

yeah, we got our breaks. We just go once the time comes. Sometimes people will tell you, most of the time they don't

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:13 pm

do they have a break room where you can actually sit at a table? Or even just sit?

Next

Return to Hinterland