Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Downsizing Woes

Moderator: Ryvvi

Downsizing Woes

Postby Mousy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:15 pm

okay.
I'll admit it.
I have waaaayyy too much STUFF.
Just stuff. Stuff everywhere. STUFFFFFF.

I'm trying to downsize. I've gone through my closet several times and gotten rid of things there. I'm having a really hard time with the sentimental things. Things that have 0 function in my house, but I love them.
I've also pared down my classroom stuff for the most part, but it has to take up residence in my house until the end of July.
/sigh...

How do you guys get rid of things?
Any downsizing advice?

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:29 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Re: Downsizing Woes

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:00 pm

Get a display case for the sentimental stuff you do t want to get rid of
As for clothes, figure out what you literally never wear and donate them

I really should go through my clothes and see what I can donate again, I always seem to end up with ten tons of clothes

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:29 am

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Watery Star » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:43 am

Good advice Kit.

I get rid of my clothes like Kit suggested. I'm bad about sentimental things too. Now that we have a house I want to have a yard sale sometime.

With momentos, if you have several things given to you by a family member choose just one. Your thoughts will still be with them even if/when they pass away and you don't really need an object to remember them by. When it comes to objects from things you've experienced limit it to you top 3 things. I agree with getting a display case for the collectibles you do keep. There are different ways to go about that including save saving shelves.

Postby Bassy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:58 am

I think to myself mostly asking myself, "do I really need this? Where would I put this? WOuld I wear this ever again?" etc. That's how I go through my things. I still need to do some more cleaning out of my room. I keep sentimental things a bit longer but sometimes it loses value for me and I throw it out or give it away to goodwill or someone else. I threw away like a box I made dedicated to my granddad who passed away 3 years ago. Though I may miss him, I threw it out because of space wise and I never really grew a strong bond with him. Though I still want to keep the cross he made because that's what I have left of him and a wooden cat on a piece of wood with my name on it. That I won't throw out, for a while anyway.

Sometimes Just thinking about it works.

If there are sentimental stuff dedicated to family and don't have room, give it to a family member. So you won't have to throw it out and it's still in the family.

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Mousy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Those are some really good ideas. I like the idea of displaying some sentimental things. A lot of them are paper things. Like notes or drawings. I suppose I could just frame them.

Postby Watery Star » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:36 pm

I had a big bag of birthday cards and letters I kept from elementary school through to my 20s. When I had to move into a small room I had to get rid of it. Still keep some cards but not all of them. I like to keep the most recent envelop with the address in case I mail them back. I haven't tossed any of my drawings except for the ones that were complete rubbish. I keep my drawings in folders, binders and some in a portfolio. My most recent are still in my sketch books.

Talking about downsizing and it made me look at my collectibles and see if there were any I didn't really like that much. I have two Card Captor Sakura dolls and one of them I never liked that much but it was a good price when I got it. It's now worth $50+ more than I payed for it.

Postby Mousy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:17 pm

Sorry it's taken me a bit to respond! I'm visiting family and just haven't found the time.

I'll keep a lot of stuff "just in case." Like a silly example are the wheels to those plastic drawer container things. I keep those. Why? Just in case. Just in case what? I have no idea. XD I need to just toughen up and toss it out. I have several "just in case" items that I've never needed, but of course, as soon as I throw them out........ Haha

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:00 pm

I can't help you because I can't give anything up until I know where it can be used - I just have a difficult time throwing things out and I am too lazy/ignorant to try and sell it on ebay...and you never know...that thing you had for 10 years could finally find its opportunity to be useful!

But I would suggest seeing if you can sell anything. I gave some old video/computer games to a friend and he was able to sell them online - he got $20 for one I was going to just throw out. Other people I know sell old clothes online instead of donating it to Goodwill.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:29 am

Postby RinLin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:31 am

I'm the same. I tend to get attached to things due to their sentimental value...
But clothes, yeah - if I haven't used anything for over a year, I usually done it. =)

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:29 pm

:heart: Tumblr :heart:
Genderqueer. They/Them.
Ping/quote me, so I don't lose you.
Feel free to add me, I love new friends.
Newbie Charity | Closet | Shinies | Art & Crafts

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:05 pm

I hold onto the clothes hoping I will be able to get down to that size again ( I say hoping because I unfortunately don't actively pursue it)

Postby RinLin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:54 am

Haha, that sounds like me. xD But, I am liking this new diet I've adopted. :3

Postby Ryvvi » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:25 am

buy more books! that will help right?

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby RinLin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:12 am

More books to the people! :D

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:29 pm

started taking probiotics again and it seems to be helping with the tummy fat

Postby Mousy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:40 pm

/goes out and buys tons more clothes

So about that downsizing thing......