Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

living on a budget: ways to make the $'s last

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: living on a budget: ways to make the $'s last

Postby Cloudy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:59 pm

if you enjoy eating rice every day (or eat it as a staple like moi), own a rice cooker, but don't have a lot of time or enough people to eat the rice with you before it spoils, here's a trick my mom taught me. On the night you cook rice, eat the rice you'll need for that night and bunch up the rest into sizable portions. Take those portions, wrap them in plastic wrap, and freeze them. This way, whenever you need rice, you can just grab that frozen portion and heat it up instead of worrying about making a whole bunch w/o anyone to eat OR finding time to prepare your meal w/ rice.

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 am

Check these out!
VOCALOID Cosplay & Chat

Stay chill

Postby Gingerale » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 pm

great idea! Some stores sell meal size bags of cooked rice that microwave in 3 minutes so this is one step cheaper, and you get the type of rice you like to eat to keep on hand!

Next day rice is wonderful for making fried rice too - saute some onions, garlic and veggies together add some cooked meat or tofu, then add some of the rice and soy sauce with any pepper or garlic powder you may want while that is cooking scramble an egg and then add it to the rice mixture and you have a meal that you can also warm up later.

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:06 pm

The dollar store is an economical place to shop - you can get "brand name" items there if you keep checking. I buy my cleaning supplies there sometimes because the grocery store wants 3 times the price on the same item.

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

Postby Polaris » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Shopping at thrift stores or high-end clothing swaps is great for saving money! Plus, they're sure to have some cool, even high-end clothes if you know where to look

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby galled » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Just don't buy cheese at the $1 store (pro tip from MonkeyGirl!).

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Polaris » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Accessorize! Accessorize! Accessorize! What you need is a good accessory, like a scarf or necklace or bag, that can transform your outfit from a day to a night event in a pinch, not a brand new wardrobe. Get the essentials and blouses that can be worn on multiple occasions, ones you can mix and match.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Definitely get to know the local thrift stores and what they generally carry. Some have very strict rules as to to what they will accept so it is often like getting something new and a grea place for vintage.

Add a few accessories like Polaris suggests and you can dress up your outfit, or make it more casual or make it very Kawaii! ( Upcycle!).

Postby Polaris » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:36 am

Buying in bulk! Since I've begun proper adulting (now I gotta pay for my wifi and all the other utility bills ahhh, mom take me back home) buying groceries in bulk has helped me save on how much I spend on groceries and the number of trips I have to make to the grocery store.

And! I usually try to buy the generic products instead of fancy name brand stuff because they usually work just as well (or sometimes even better!), and they're often way cheaper.

Postby galled » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 pm

I actually like some of the store brands better than the national ones. Kroger brand (Ralph's store brand) is a good one--better than cheaper is a total win!

Server Administrator

Postby Gingerale » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Over here the sales usually are in three week cycles. If you have a coupon AND they are on sale then you can really score. (I guess the store makes no money on you but it helps those on a budget save money).

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

Postby Polaris » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:01 am

The biggest tip I could give for living on a budget is sticking to the budget and separating wants from needs. It's important to stick to your budget (Especially if it's a strict one) as much as it is to treat yourself from time to time. But you can't treat yourself if you don't have the money for it xD

I always ask myself when I'm thinking about buying the extra things like "Do you really needs this? Can you live without it? How long will this last? Is it worth the money you're spending to buy it? Do you REALLY need this?" xDDD

Postby galled » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:03 pm

I think that's the biggest tip of all: Learning the difference between want and need.

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 pm

True.

But coupons help to make things more attainable, especially if it is a buy one get one free for a dinner, on your birthday when they also give you a free birthday dessert!

Postby Polaris » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:10 am

Anyone have any tricks to save on water?

We haven't gotten any post for the water & sewage company for our region, but I've tried calculating our potential bill online and it's already a whole bunch ahh TT n TT

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Water has always been a source of contention because you need it to live on and they can charge you whatever they want. You got water you got power!

You can cut down your usage by getting a toilet that uses less water when you flush. (Or flush less often. If its yellow let it mellow if its brown flush it down).
Use gray water (water from the dishes or shower etc) on plants. Feed your plants the left over coffee (they like that).
Buy appliances that use less water like a washing machine for your clothes. I've heard that a dishwasher uses less water then washing by hand.
Take a military shower (rinse, scrub down and wash off, no lingering).

Then when you go to a hotel take nice long hot showers! :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland