Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

3rd Party Image Hosting

Moderator: Ryvvi

3rd Party Image Hosting

Postby Valentine Strange » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:02 pm

I need some help/hints/or advice with picking a new image hosting site. Photobucket used to be great. I could change my background theme and make it pretty. It was completely free. It didn't have/had few ads. Now I can't change my background theme and it's now I'm guessing the new default Photobucket theme. It's asking me to pay for unlimited 3rd party hosting. I haven't even scratched the surface of how much I can upload and can upload so much more, but still. The ads are not few and are unbearable. I keep having to close them to click on any button and they make it lag. It lagged so much it froze.

So I'm looking for a place that:
☞Has few or no ads
☞Does not lag much
☞Privacy(people cannot search my images. They are only allowed to view my images when I give them a link)
☞FREE
☞Looks decent
☞Works mostly everywhere(provides most html/bbc codes)

I've never used anything else other than Photobucket and don't know of other places really.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:37 pm

Re: 3rd Party Image Hosting

Postby mdom » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:16 pm

I use imgur, you just have to take care to not upload to their public gallery - for the past years they've been trying to grow into a more social media platform site than image host so they have a public gallery with comments and sometimes people upload pics by mistake there.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:37 pm

by Valentine Strange

Postby Valentine Strange » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 pm

It definitely doesn't have a lot of ads. And it seems to run smoothly.
And thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to double check where I'm uploading if I end up making an account.

Postby Diana » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Google drive is pretty great. You can host all kinds of files there. Same with dropbox, but I am not sure if they are free or free with promotional codes. You do have to pay if you want extra space.

For just images, imgir is nice but usually it is for one-off images not galleries over time (you can upload images all at once into albums though)

Deviantart has a private gallery feature (still, I think).

As for html and bbcodes, bbcodes are nonstandard and can be customer defined, but as long as you have the url to an image you can use it wherever.

Site Admin

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:37 pm

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Thing with Google drive, you have to looooook for the image url. Otherwise, it is good.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:37 pm

Postby Anarchist Beauty » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:41 pm

IMGUR my dude
I've been using imgur for years now, after switching from photobucket because it was always just annoying to me.
Imgur is life, has plenty of settings, idk about ads cos I have adblocker (like a sane person lol), easy, functional, fantastic.
IMGUR

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:37 pm

Postby Valentine Strange » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am

Diana
Well it depends on how much space is available for free. If I have a lot of room to work with before I even have to think about buy more space then that's still good.

And I thought DA was just for art? A lot of this is stuff is just gifs off the internet I found to decorate profiles with or screen shots from games. So most of this are things I have not drawn. Some are personal photos.

Anarchist Beauty
"Easy, functional, fantastic. IMGUR" Sounds like it should be in a commercial. lol

I might end up using a mixture of places.

Return to Hinterland