Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

I'm a little scared...

Moderator: Ryvvi

I'm a little scared...

Postby Valentine Strange » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:32 pm

So this really nasty piece of work has been harassing people on another site and me and a few other people are trying really hard to report him and hopefully get him banned because he has been doing this way too long and to too many people. He's also broken about three of the rules there and on multiple occasions. He also had this link in his signature that led to a site with a bunch of hate speech and other things that were just generally offensive and not appropriate to be linked in your signature. Someone has already reported him about the link in his signature, but the problem is now he is going around harassing and attacking people to find out who reported him. I'm a little frightened now because I'm in the middle of filing a report on him and his behavior. Reporting someone on there requires you to message the admin directly since they don't have an actual report button on there yet. I had PMed the admin some questions on how they handle reports there before I began collecting evidence so I am still waiting on a reply on those before I send in a bunch of screenshots of this guy and what he has done. It's a little frightening though that he is now on the hunt for people who have reported him. I'm not sure what to do. On one hand this actually helps our cause because it's another thing he is doing that can get him banned, but on the other, until he is banned it's going to be very dangerous to travel around that site... I just don't know what to do right now. It's scary that he is doing this, but I want to and kind of need to report him. He shouldn't be doing this and needs to learn there a consequences for his actions. I just really hope the admin replies to me soon...
Sorry I'm posting this here. I just can't really talk about it over there because of him and if he finds out I'm also reporting him, I'll be targeted.

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:20 am

Re: I'm a little scared...

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:49 pm

I must be kind of naive but if he is harrassing people wouldn't the admin be able to tell? They can after all look at everything, and if he is openly saying doing stuff wouldn't that be obvious? They really need to have something on there like the exclamation mark in the triangle on here where it reports that post or copy and paste or "quote" the post to the admin. What can he actually do? If its a new site maybe you can just take a leave of absence from it - or it it a mod or admin that is the problem?

Well, I am proud of you for trying to stand up for what is right! No one should be bullying or harrassing. People can have differences of opinions but hate speech only goes one direction and is hurtful not helpful.

<I'm glad I just hibernate from the world over here on Windlyn>.

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 am

Postby galled » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Sorry to hear about what's transpired. You have to keep in mind that all sites that are not run by the government are fiefdoms and the owners can do whatever they want. They can enforce rules or not. Fairness and justice are not part of it. I hope the admin will take appropriate action, but they are under no legal obligation to do anything unless it crosses a few lines.

When it comes to breaking the law and threats, that kind of stuff is reportable to law enforcement. But unless it's terrorism or immediate loss of life is imminent, typical criminal stuff and takes a long time to investigate. There is so much bullying and hate on the internet that there's not much that will happen. I think this is why there are so many feel they can do what they want because there's little to no consequence. (But I admit that I love seeing when some who cross the line way too far are held to task!)

From what I know of you, you're pretty careful online (blocking cookies and such), so I don't think you're in any personal danger, but if you ever are, contact law enforcement immediately and make a report!

The internet can be a dangerous and terrible place if you're not careful where you go and hang out. You know how to be a good internet citizen, Val, so I know you know other good internet citizen when you see them. It sucks that all it takes is one idiot to ruin things for everyone. I think it's up to the admins at this point and you'll have to wait and see.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Gingerale » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:12 am

Are the majority of other users on that site ok? Does this person stand out or do they blend in with the rest? If the admin don't do anything then maybe it is time to look elsewhere?

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:20 am

Postby Valentine Strange » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Well, I just sent in a very long report. And now I'm pretty sure the admin thinks of me as "the guy that sends in really long messages". Oh well. I just felt the more info and evidence the report contained the better.

Lemon Cheesecake
That's not always the case sadly. There are some places where the admin will not do anything even if they see it unless someone sends in a direct report or even if a report is sent in. I don't know exactly how the admins on there are though. I've seen one step in once when something got out of hand.
I don't know why they don't have a report button either. They're still in beta, but so is Windlyn yet Windlyn has a report button and a block feature... It seems to be an increasing trend now with new sites that they implement things like a block and report feature later on after beta release because it's not the first site I have seen lacking a report function and a block feature. I don't understand this because, while more unlikely, nasty people still can join even though the site is still very new. I feel a block and report feature should be some of the first things implemented.
And I have been taking a leave of absence for the most part. I've only been coming on to check on the people who have been harassed by him and to collect as much info as I can, but I haven't been posting. I've been trying to avoid conflict with this guy as much as possible.
When you say "what can he do", are you referring to the person who is harassing people? With an instance like this and considering this guys personality, he can do a lot actually. I just heard from the person who he contacted to find out who reported and they said he threatened them. And there is no telling what else he could do. If he is willing to threaten people to just find out who reported him, he could be willing to try and hack the site or try and stalk people to other places like their social media accounts to find out where people live or to get other private info. It seems extreme, but it has happened to people before.
I really hope the person comes forward and says they were threatened, but right now they're frightened. I don't blame them.

galled
I'm hoping they do something about it. It really kills a site when it gets overrun by these types of people. I don't like seeing that happen since a lot of people come online as an escape and it just makes people feel uncomfortable and unsafe.
He threatened one of the people he was asking about who reported his signature. I don't know how he phrased it though so I'm not sure if it was a death threat or just a threat. I was just told by one of the people that he threatened them. Either is pretty serious though. I can't go forward about it though since I wasn't the who was threatened and since the admin most likely would like to have the username of who was.
Yeah, I know. I actually know, well know of- I don't know him personally, an under cover cop who handles online affairs and keeps an eye out on social media for any bad guys.

Gingerale
No the majority of the users are nice so this person does stand out. And I don't want to look elsewhere since it's one person so far. If it was a hot bed of trolls, harassers, and flamers I wouldn't be trying so hard at reporting this person and would be packing up instead.
I'm hoping that the admin does do something about since he has replied to my message. But also the site is still new and in Beta so they're also working on site features. User safety is still important though too.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:15 pm

yikes, well sounds like he might be "fishing" to get people riled up on purpose to see how they will respond and that he has gone a little too far under cover.

I'm proud of you for speaking up, hopefully that will make the admin aware of what is going on and do something. But if he is threatening people in real life then he does need to be reported in real life for harrassement.

I hope the new site does put user safety a top priority to keep people participating.

Postby galled » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:52 pm

The perceived anonymity of the internet has both allowed people to behave very badly online when they wouldn't dare in real life, and has skewed some people's perception of what is socially acceptable online. It's a sad state of affairs. Even with the right tools and buttons, in the end it's up to the admins to sort out.

I don't mean to sound like Windlyn's greatest cheerleader (and not just because I truly do love and believe in what Windlyn is and stands for), but what we have here is rare (and possibly unique) and wonderful! The couple of times (and thank goodness it hasn't been more often) we did have disruptors here, the community banded together to publically call these people out. Our staff did a great job by taking swift and fair action, but I think it was the community standing up that made these people realize that that kind of behaviour was not welcome and would not be tolerated.

Val, we're glad that you find Windlyn to be a safe place to share your feelings and thoughts. The whole Windlyn staff and community wish the same for all that visit. :)

Server Administrator

Postby Valentine Strange » Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 am

Update on this: Finally one of the people who was threatened came forward and reported the guy. He is now banned until around November. I'm hoping his time away from the site allows the other people he threatened to gain the courage to come forward and also report him. His case is also still open so if they do come forward it might lengthen his ban sentence.

I'm still a little shaken after all this and kind of feel like a deflated balloon. Ugh so much stress and anxiety. If my activity seems a little less than usual for awhile it's because I'm taking a little break from online interactions. (Also I've had a lot of paperwork to do so I'm also worn out from that.)

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 pm

at least progress is being made! We will miss you while you are out and about but check on every so often, please Val!

Return to Hinterland