Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

I've Got Pictures

Moderator: Ryvvi

I've Got Pictures

Postby Valentine Strange » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Okay, so after a three day scare not knowing if my laptop was going to work ever again I finally uploaded some of the pictures from my vacation. Took awhile because I hadn't updated my phone yet and one photo just refused to upload so that one had to be left out.

I spent most of my time at my great aunts place, but on the way there I stopped in South Carolina. I went to a few small businesses (mainly food places. <w<). I also found this cool sign that didn't really belong to anything. (or what it used to belong to was removed and they just kept the sign.)

[+] SPOILER
I have no idea what the French Hare is or was, but this is a cool sign. There was a window and a locked door under it. The window looked into a clothing store that was called something else so what I think might have happened is that the clothing store bought out the space the French Hare was and the French Hare went out of business.

[+] SPOILER
I mainly stopped in South Carolina for lunch and gas, but I wasn't looking for something overly heavy since I had some ways to go still. I found this interesting place. The food was wonderful and the portions were quite large for the prices. So overall everything was worth it. The cooks also were a happy bunch. It was and open kitchen so you could see them making the food... and hear them singing along with radio. It was funny listening to them while they worked.

[+] SPOILER
And after lunch I did go looking for something sweet to eat. I found this donut place. They also had stickers and mugs for sale.

I got a mug too, but they packed it up before I could get a picture. (it's what's in the brown box) I might get a picture of it soon and post it. It's cute.

[+] SPOILER
There was also a small bookstore so I stopped there because books. So there was a water bowl and some pet beds around the place so I did go looking for a little furry critter, but when I couldn't find it I asked the lady working and she said there used to be a cat. The cat had passed away and actually the small box by the pet bowl contained the little guys remains... so kind of sad stop, but still interesting to look at the books they had.

So that was pretty much all the stops in South Carolina I made. I had only about an hour there before I had to get back on the road if I wanted to make it to my destination by the time I was planning to arrive. I kind of headed straight to the guest room when I got there. Was tired after the drive.

[+] SPOILER
So my great aunt has a farm in Virginia. Small one. She has a few horses and a donkey, all of them rescues. There are also four farm cats that she owns who wander around. I only managed to get a picture of one. There was another one I could have gotten a picture of because he was also very friendly, but I kept forgetting my phone whenever I ran out to hang out with him. The other two were shy and didn't really socialize.
^These two were very friendly. The little black horse would nudge me gently whenever I stopped petting him. He wanted all the attention.

^Now what is on his face is a fly mask. They can see through it fine. It's designed to keep the flies out of their eyes.

^This guy was big. He wasn't really friendly. My aunt says he was abused and he remembers it so he's not that trusting of humans. That's why he is in his stall. He gets along well with one of my second cousins though. And when I talked to him I think he got the idea I wasn't a bad person because his ears perked up. (when a horses ears are flat it means they are upset/angry and might defend themselves if threatened.) I still stayed at a safe distance though. Didn't want to get bit.

^The kitty.

^There was also a barn swallow in the barn.

[+] SPOILER
So I had one free day to myself that I got to do what I wanted by myself. I decided to go to North Carolina since my aunt lives like right on the border. So I went to Duck Donuts. The original one that was started in Duck North Carolina. Um... I forgot to take pictures because I got distracted by all the rubber duckies they had. I bought three.

I went to this pub next and got some oysters. This was the first time I had them. It was called Two Road's Tavern.

There was another donut place I stopped by that was suggested by my first cousins once removed. It wasn't as good as Duck Donuts or Glazed. It's an interesting place to walk into and it's an interesting concept, but if you are looking for a good donut place in NC and only have time for one, then go to Duck Donuts.

[+] SPOILER
The day before I left that part of the family got together and we went out for ice cream for Dairy Queen. (they like it a lot) I tried some specialty ice cream that was for July 4. It was pretty good.

So that's what I did. I pretty much got a donut in every place I stopped in.

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:05 am

Re: I've Got Pictures

Postby Gingerale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Those pictures are so coool! I feel like I went on a little adventure too - kind of like the road show's on t.v.

I love the idea of looking at the signs and taking pictures of cool ones you see, I feel inspired!

Seems like you had a good time regardless of the mishaps, glad it worked out.

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 pm

Postby mdom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Pretty cool pics you got there! My favorite is of the cat because... cats <3
Also yay for donuts xD It seems like you had a great time ^^

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:05 am

by Valentine Strange

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Donuts and Dairy Queen...I want to travel with you! What a fun idea, I need to try a trip like that sometime!Thanks for sharing your pics and giving us a description of what you did, it was very fun reading through it and the pics definitely helped put the icing on the donut cake! :wink:

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:05 pm

Postby galled » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks, Val!

Looks all so wonderful! Yes, it's a food tour! (The picture on wall of the doughnut shop reminds me of Windlyn's Doughnut game!) :)

I hope you had a great time and have fond memories of it all even after all of the unforeseen stuff.

Thanks again for sharing! :heart:

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Valentine Strange » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Eh, I forgot a picture.
This is what I got from donut on a stick.
[+] SPOILER

I also looked up the French Hare and it used to be a bistro. It seemed to be doing well and had good reviews so not sure why it went out of business.

I'll will reply back individually tomorrow. I'm feeling tired and was doing well today.

Postby Valentine Strange » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Sorry. I forgot last week was my busy week. :cry:
Sunday was my last day of having to get up at 7am and staying up until late. Had to walk a dog three times a day and at weird hours. Finally got a full nights sleep and got to sleep in a bit today.

Gingerale
I like looking at signs.
Yeah, I was glad when I found out I was still able to go, even if it was a shorter version of the original trip.

mdom
Cats are the best.

Lemon Cheesecake
Hehe.
A donut cake actually sounds good.

galled
The donut sigh was cute. I'd like to go to Glazed sometime again soon.
It was a good way to destress. I ended up having fun.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Seriously, I am looking at travelling in a new light since you posted about your trip. Talk about enjoying the moments and taking in the sights...I'm going to start doing that! (Not that I really travel but maybe even just locally looking at what is around).

Return to Hinterland