Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

One more reason not to live in another time period

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: One more reason not to live in another time period

Postby Bassy » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:15 pm

Did you ever look up how chainsaws were invented? Man, it was used to cut bones at first. There was a procedure called, symphysiotomy. Cutting out a bone in your pelvis if you needed to have a non traditional birth. Thank god for C sections. Being pregnant in the 1820s is risky.

Local time: Tue May 07, 2024 4:05 pm

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:43 pm

oh my gosh!

That sounds terrifying! I never knew!

Local time: Tue May 07, 2024 2:05 pm

Postby npixelz » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:54 pm

Oh shoot

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:14 pm

Sadly, throughout history many women died in childbirth.

Postby npixelz » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:32 pm

Yeah, it's very sad

Death is always sad

Postby TheFellowsheep » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:37 pm

Ohh, happy to revive this topic. I like culinary history, a lot, so much so I managed to take an Elizabethan culinary class off of Coursera years back, haha. Found out one thing they nailed back in the mid to late 16th century was custards and puddings. Being able to get citrus fruits literally changed the game, and then ended the game on a massive win.

But I still would prefer now vs then for food. We have so much variety in singular towns, and spices are SO unbelievably cheap now. You can get cumin, cinnamon, bay leaves, etc. for next to nothing. Don't get me wrong, plenty of ancient recipes are fine. Tasty even. But they just didn't have the same access to variety the same way we do now. Oh, and cleanliness. Now I'm curious about how common it was for allergies then vs now... Especially during the fast food era of Roman times...

Local time: Tue May 07, 2024 1:05 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:08 pm

Wow! They actually have a Elizabethan culinary class?? Now that would be something I'd be interested in...learning how to cook from different time periods. did you have a particular recipe you really liked?

I think Yorkshire pudding is like one of my favorites but I don't cook it often enough to master it.
When I was a kid there was an older lady moved from the UK & made fabulous, mouthwatering yorkshire pudding.

Postby npixelz » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:39 am

I'd more be interested in Elizabethan architecture class, tbh

Postby silverberry » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:37 am

Every now and then I feel like my ancestors would be so inordinately pleased that our kitchen now has a huge variety of spices. Salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and vanilla would have been luxurious items then.

I think there are some spices common back then that have fallen out of use now.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 5:05 am

https://windlynonline.com/cgi-bin/forums/event/eggHunt/partyCrasher2.png

They/them
Hangout Thread | CK Art Album

Images used belongs to Windlyn and their artists - slightly edited to prevent confusion for current event.

Postby TheFellowsheep » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:31 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Wow! They actually have a Elizabethan culinary class?? Now that would be something I'd be interested in...learning how to cook from different time periods. did you have a particular recipe you really liked?

I think Yorkshire pudding is like one of my favorites but I don't cook it often enough to master it.
When I was a kid there was an older lady moved from the UK & made fabulous, mouthwatering yorkshire pudding.

Their courses rotate based off of whoever is available and wants to teach their stuff. I think it was a one-off in 2016/2017 or so? I did! My standard go to custard recipe is from an Elizabethan cookbook actually. I don't remember which I had used sadly. There's also been a pretty decent kick in historical dressmaking and cooking on YouTube. Townsends for American Colonial, Tasting History with Max for a range, Great Depression Cooking (American), English Heritage for Victorian, I think Kent Rollins has a yt channel for Midwest expansion cowboy cooking, How to Drink (specifically his first series on yt) for drinks. I haven't seen many eastern ones, probably cuz I search in English.

Ohhhh, I've always wanted to try a Yorkshire pudding! Just never have enough fat on hand for 'em, haha.

Hmmm... Common spices that have fallen out of use... Cardamon comes to mind. While it is still used - just not as liberally. Mace: I haven't seen in a recipe in ages. Nutmeg used to be used liberally, too.

Do you know of any specific buildings that were built during that era npixelz ? I know next to nothing on architecture!

Local time: Tue May 07, 2024 1:05 pm

Postby rainbowroad » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:05 pm

i saw a video talking about how in the victorian times they would use stuff like copper and arsenic to color foods and it made me think like, man im so happy i don't live in those times!

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
MAY I HAZ CHEZBURGER?
|___________|
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(\__/) ||
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(•ㅅ•) ||
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀/   づ

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:59 pm

When you think of all the toxins they put in their foods it is really scary!

I wonder if it affected their genes?

Postby npixelz » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:37 am

I don't think they wore jeans

Postby silverberry » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:49 am

Darkly amusing - I think people a hundred or so years from now would look at our plastic use the same way we currently look at the Victorian's use of arsenic and asbestos. Leaded paint and leaded gasoline weren't even that far ago!

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 5:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland