Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

I could have been seriously hurt, or worse

Moderator: Ryvvi

I could have been seriously hurt, or worse

Postby Uchuuko » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Today my mom came to deliver my mail that went to her house by accident, take me to see my little brother's living space-to-be, and to buy me some necessities. We were on the interstate, going towards the exit we would take to get to my brother's apartment when a big truck next to us tried to change lanes to get into ours from my side. I screamed, and my mom quickly jerked the wheel to get out of the lane. I felt ill that it all happened, especially with my mom's car's being jerked out of the way. My mom even said that "it was a wonder that the car didn't flip", because she was going so fast and didn't believe she had the time to slow down.

I was worried more about the car window being shattered on me had the cars collided. I could have ended up dead, but oh well.

Have any of you have any near-death experiences lately?

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 pm

Re: I could have been seriously hurt, or worse

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:22 pm

oh wow! Fortunately for you both the vehicle's did not hit or your Mom did not run into something or someone else. So glad you are safe! Your Mom must have been shaken up as well.

I know someone that was killed coming on the on ramp of the freeway the vehicle in the freeway lane did not move over and he swerved, hit a sign post that broke, spun him and he crashed and died soon after they got him to the hospital. So sad because he was only in college.

Big trucks can not see very well (lots of blind spots) and they can not stop very fast either. People seem to forget this when driving. I do try to move to the next lane if I see cars trying to get onto the freeway, so that they have time to get on, but some freeways that is very difficult to do during busy traffic hour.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:54 pm

Postby Uchuuko » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:25 pm

Yeah. Speaking of college students getting killed, I knew of an international student from my previous university who died by getting hit by a subway, and it was our first year in school. No one knew if he meant to commit suicide.

Postby MissAutumn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:54 am

That sounds really terrifying, Uchuuko. I'm glad a collision was avoided. I hope you and your mom are felling a lot less shaken up by it. It's awful to go through.

If it helps, it's incredibly difficult to flip over a car. Your mom would have had to hit something for it to have had happened.

Thankfully, I've had a good driving week lately. I drive a small 1.2 litre car. So I tend to have people just pull out on me at junctions because they assume I'm driving 10 miles under the speed limit - I'm not. :strain: It's lucky I have fast reactions otherwise I would have ended up in some nasty crashes otherwise.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:54 am

Postby galled » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:39 pm

So happy everyone is safe! So scary!! :distress:

Haven't had any incidents recently,but always found it interesting how time seems to slow down during it and how well you can recall it all. Unfortunately repeatedly for me, but I suppose that helps the mind cement it there in hopes of avoiding it again.

In any case, every day is a gift!
:hug:

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby MissAutumn » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:28 am

It's so strange that time does that. Must help us react a lot quicker.

Indeed it is. <3

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:54 am

Postby Uchuuko » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:27 pm

It seems reasonable, considering the mechanisms of evolution.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Or in some cases where you hit your head and can not remember the 30 seconds or minute before the accident (as in my Mom's case where her car slammed into a telephone pole when she was avoiding a deer and she hit her head).

Postby Uchuuko » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:53 pm

Evolution could still explain it. The feeling of the injury could have been so horrible that your mind forgets all about what happened during the time of injury.

Postby Mouse » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:38 pm

That's terrifying! I'm glad you're okay and didn't get injured. That would have made me super nervous!
I had something similar happen to me today. My dad was driving us to a nearby town and a semi nearly entered our lane. We had railing to our left and him at our right.
Thank goodness the guy noticed. People have been driving crazy here lately!

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:39 pm

It is so scary when you have to drive by a semi never mind when there is no room! It is so hard for them to see, maybe they should be required to drive during off peak hours?

Postby Gingerale » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 pm

It's not safe from traffic accidents anywhere it seems: in Sacramento two cars collided and crashed into a Thai restaurant " The newspaper says the restaurant had recently reopened after repairing damage from another traffic accident five months ago."

(maybe its time to build a retaining wall or move to another location?)

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Someone I know's place burned down today...fortunately they had gotten out and are ok!

Postby Uchuuko » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:39 pm

That's crazy Lemon. Hopefully they have house and item insurance.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Started in their garage...don't know the details of what caused the fire yet but oily or dirty rags could very well be a reason. I think we are required to have basic homeowners insurance here? They are in a homeowners association & I believe they are required to have it...but still...and thank God their community didn't go up in flames as well! It has been so hot here and everything is dry.

Next

Return to Hinterland