Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Interview questions?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Interview questions?

Postby MissAutumn » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 am

I've applied for a promotion at work and I have made it through to the interview round!

Does anyone have any good questions I should ask? I have a couple that I've come up with, but I feel like I need a few more.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:01 pm

Re: Interview questions?

Postby galled » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:34 am

Can you provide more details of the promotion?

Server Administrator

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:01 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby MissAutumn » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:27 am

It's a supervisor role. I'd have to make sure the team hits deadlines, train people, ensure quality of documents are at a high standard and check accuracy, talk to clients and book in their work, ensure industry standards and security (data protection) are kept, cover for the team manager during their absences and keep databases up to date.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:36 am

I'd want to know whether they would be requiring me to work overtime and how I would be compensated...since you want to make an informed decision going in...but leave that for the end part maybe. :wink:

Also, is there opportunity for advancement.

Postby Vivianne » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 am

Will they provide continuing education materials (or whatever the equivalent is in your field) so you can keep up with industry standards as they evolve?

Good luck!

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:01 am

Postby galled » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:17 am

My q's would be contingency-related--how/what tools and resources/policies would be/are available to help me ensure excellent performance. For example, how to handle absences (others and yourself), problems, etc..

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:27 am

oh! You guys have great questions to ask!

Postby MissAutumn » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Good suggestions everyone. Thanks so much. :smile: I was struggling to come up with a few.

I know 3 others are being interviewed for the role. Getting quite a bit nervous because the interview is with the deputy CEO. :scream: I should find out by the end of the day tomorrow if I get the job or not.

Postby Vivianne » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:55 pm

Once again, good luck! You were able to explain the position well here and your current job in other threads, so I think you are prepared. :D

Here’s a breathing exercise to reduce anxiety. The article says it was developed by Japanese zen masters and later used by Navy SEALs. It’s known as box breathing because the breath is divided into four equal parts.

1. Starting with empty lungs, breathe in for 5 seconds through the belly
2. Hold for 5 seconds
3. Breathe out for 5 seconds
4. Rest for 5 seconds

Repeat for 3 minutes or until you feel calmer. You can change the length of the steps, as long as the ‘sides’ are even.

Hope you find this one useful!

Postby MissAutumn » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks for looking up the breathing exercises. You wouldn't think of the SEALs and breathing exercises. You're awesome. :hug:

Postby galled » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Break a leg! We're rootin' for ya!! :cheer:

If I were interviewing someone for a management position, I'd find comfort in interviewing someone who is a planner (can envision the steps and roughly how to prepare for problems in the future should they arise--they always do!). I would try and emphasize that and how your priority is the company (as opposed to bad managers I've had that are more interested in their selves than anything!). :frustration:

Keep us posted!

Server Administrator

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:15 am

Well, I didn't get the job. I was 2nd choice though. My feedback was that I should have expanded more on what I could bring to the role. He said I should reapply if another position like this one turns up again. I'm fine with not getting it. I like the team I'm on and I live comfortably on my current wage.

Postby Vivianne » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:26 am

MissAutumn - you have a great outlook on how it went! Thanks for sharing your experience with us! :D

Perhaps something that is a better fit will come along. Doors will open, etc.

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:39 am

I'm still looking for a new job elsewhere - so I guess you could say that this is a practice run for future interviews. Thanks for your advice yesterday. :)

Postby galled » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:48 am

I was once told "every no is a one step closer to a yes." Hang in there, just wasn't meant to be THIS time. :)

Where have you been looking? As in in the same field/related profession or skills or something completely different? (Nod to Monty Python!) :)

Server Administrator

Next

Return to Hinterland