Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Interview questions?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Interview questions?

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks, galled. :)

At the moment just clerical/admin office roles. Unfortunately there's a lot of competition for them so I haven't secured interviews yet (plus I haven't applied for many because lazy :cheeky:).

In the long term, I'm considering studying for a degree in computer science with the Open University once I have the wedding out of the way. I want a proper career - as much as I love archaeology there's just no jobs in it anywhere near me.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm

Postby galled » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:42 pm

Sounds like a good short and long term plans!

Plenty of computer jobs around. Not so sure about computer science (as opposed to Software Engineer), but we have a few Winners here working in that field and/or just about to enter it, perhaps you can get some insights with a little encouragement?

Also keep in mind that the new manager hire may not work out and that puts you in the front seat! ;)

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:13 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 pm

I'm going down the computer science route as it can open up more job opportunities. It's what my fiancé studied and he can get a job at a drop of a hat. One of the girls in IT did the exact course I'm looking at and she really recommends it.

Postby galled » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:55 pm

Great! You go, girl!

Server Administrator

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:05 am

<3

Postby Vivianne » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:54 am

I think having computer science knowledge is an edge in any modern day job/career. Like you said, it opens up opportunities, but it can also enhance your work.

Something as simple as knowing Excel well could help with certain clerical tasks, for example.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 pm

I already did an Excel training course a couple of years ago and I can code macros as well. I'm hoping that attracts employers to my CV. :)

Postby Vivianne » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:30 pm

That’s great! it might help transition to a comp sci mindset.

If you need a concept broken down, I might be able to help. I did a lot of comp sci tutoring in high school for classes equivalent to about first/second semester college courses. It’s been a while, but the people I helped liked how I explained things.

But it’s likely your fiancé will be able to answer questions better and know best practices besides!

Postby galled » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 pm

What is CV? Current Vocation?

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:55 pm

Curriculum vitae I think. I’m not sure how they’re different from resumes, but in the US they’re common in academia.

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Thanks, Vivianne. You're such an intelligent and generous person. I'll keep that in mind. My fiancé has said he'd start to teach me basic PHP coding when we have a free weekend.

Yeah, it stands for Curriculum Vitae and it is resume. This article explains the UK CV better than I can. It's interesting we all do things differently from other countries.

Postby Vivianne » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Have fun with it! There are so many programming languages. I recommend learning one really well to learn concepts and foundations, and then you should have an easier time with learning more if you want to.

Wow, it’s interesting that we apply for jobs differently. CVs here can be used for MD positions because they publish and research.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Khan academy online is very helpful for learning code...and free!

Postby Vivianne » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:30 pm

Stackoverflow is also a great resource. It’s like crowdsourced knowledge - you can ask questions and people will answer. They tend to like it when you’ve shown what you’ve tried and your reasoning for what you think is the answer.

Postby MissAutumn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks for the resource links. This should all come in use when I get time to practice.

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland