Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Won $ and Got into Graduate School

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Won $ and Got into Graduate School

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:45 pm

I am also worried about the effect on the economy with all this money being paid out...the gov't has to print money for it so it means the dollar value will go down. I think it is great to help out those who lost their jobs or who don't have sick leave they can use but if a person is making $75 K or more I don't see it as them really needing help, you know what I mean? Use it for those part time people who don't qualify for unemployment insurance or who may not be able to be hired back or to assist small businesses in helping their laid off employee's.

Having a mentor, someone who wants to see you succeed, is such a benefit, you are very fortunate. It sounds like it could be a very exciting adventure for you ahead and hands on lab work is always a plus for learning and understanding. I will look forward to hearing all about what you are learning!

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:35 pm

Postby Uchuuko » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:28 pm

I see where you're coming from. Those people should have an emergency fund.

I hope this new endeavor will be more fun than where I currently am for undergrad. I'm going to be in an urban city (a metropolitan one) for graduate school, like how I was for my first two years in undergrad (before I transferred to where I am now). I'll keep everyone updated one my studies. :) I'm really hoping that I can do more than computational work, even though I only talked about working with professors who do computational work in my personal statement.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:35 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:36 pm

I'm sure if you let them know you are open to doing more...learning more...they will help you to achieve that...enthusiasm is generally rewarded.

Postby Uchuuko » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:48 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:
This is an update in regards to the stimulus payment for my mom. I did contact the tax woman, and she said it wasn't their account number. She did say that it could have been a certain bank's account, but she doesn't know. What she does know is that the checks would go out on Friday. We're both hoping the worst case scenario hasn't happened. She said that since my parents have gotten her tax refund back, they are not able to have it amended. She also told me that the Internal Revenue Service wasn't taking any calls. I still want to try to contact them.

Postby galled » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:00 am

Uchuuko wrote:
galled wrote:Double congrats!!

Are you a business major?

Thanks. :heart: I am currently a biochemistry major. At least my performance in the competition doesn't reflect my ability to succeed in science. My masters degree will be for chemistry, but there is a biochemistry specialty that I could possibly have define my degree. I am not sure about how to go about it yet or if it is possible; what I read about it was vague.

That's quite a talent stack you're building there! I have no doubt you'll find continued success! :cheer:

You might ask to talk to your department chair or graduate supervisor help define your specialty. I'm guessing you have something in mind that you've seen somewhere before or know of a company that's doing the kinds of things you're thinking of. You might try talking to someone in recruiting over in those places or looking at job opening descriptions that cover your areas. ;)

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Gingerale » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:51 am

good idea!

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 pm

Postby Uchuuko » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:35 pm

Gingerale wrote:good idea!

I agree if you're referring to galled's.

Postby Gingerale » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Yes I was referring to Galled's suggestion - sorry about not being clear!

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:28 pm

Uchuuko ~ how is it going with graduate school? were you still able to get courses with the shutdowns?

Postby Uchuuko » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:03 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Uchuuko ~ how is it going with graduate school? were you still able to get courses with the shutdowns?

Hello Lemon! It is going okay, but I am juggling it with home life. I am currently taking online courses (thank goodness!) for my degree. I really would like to move out of my family's house one day.
I know it has been a while since I have logged in. I even forgot about Windlyn's name, and I have searched for it throughout this week.
How have you been?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:49 pm

So happy you found your way back to Windlyn! :cheer:

Glad to hear you are ok with doing online classes. At least being with family during covid home isolation allows you to socialize and take care of each other. Soon enough you will graduate and get a job and make enough money to have your own place! Hopefully you are able to do some hobbies or other interests as well.

Check in again for Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day for special items! :heart:

Postby Uchuuko » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:35 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:So happy you found your way back to Windlyn! :cheer:

Glad to hear you are ok with doing online classes. At least being with family during covid home isolation allows you to socialize and take care of each other. Soon enough you will graduate and get a job and make enough money to have your own place! Hopefully you are able to do some hobbies or other interests as well.

Check in again for Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day for special items! :heart:

Thank you!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:00 pm

Gong Hei fat choy! Happy Lunar new year!

Postby Uchuuko » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:44 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Gong Hei fat choy! Happy Lunar new year!
Happy Lunar New Year to you too Lemon! Thank you for the gifts.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Thank yoU! Happy Valentine's day!

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland