Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

House Hunting

Moderator: Ryvvi

House Hunting

Postby Uchuuko » Fri May 22, 2020 2:38 pm

Hello everyone. I am a little frustrated because I cannot find housing that my mom can afford to rent. She prefers a 3 bed, 2 bath house, ad none of the ones I am finding have rent she can really afford to pay. She currently works a job that pays $9.50 an hour, and she is picky with work. There's a lot I could say about the situation, but I just don't feel like it. Part of me is overwhelmed because I'm doing the bulk of the searching. My mom isn't good at all with computers, and I don't feel like teaching her anymore. :scream:

I don't think the housing market is doing well at all, despite what other people are saying. I don't mind helping to cover the rent, but I'm not comfortable doing so for an extended period of time. This is because I will be living elsewhere while I am in graduate school (she doesn't want to live where I will be attending school either). I don't know about her getting another mortgage because her credit isn't good (she was in bankruptcy). I don't feel comfortable getting the mortgage for her, and my credit isn't in its prime.

I don't have many options right now, especially since I don't have too much money myself. Does anyone know of any secret sources to find cheap housing (<700/mo would be awesome.)?

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 am

Re: House Hunting

Postby galled » Fri May 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Housing costs are generally related to location, size, and condition (so you might need to change one or more to suit your budget) and typically priced on what the market will bear. You can bargain/negotiate if you're in the ballpark and keep in mind that not all listings are on the internet. Sometimes you can find things from a broker or real estate agency that is not listed on google. Then there are rent or for sale by owner listing that don't show up on the internet too.

Asking around is another strategy that can net great results. But in the end it could be that some compromise will be required. However, given COVID 19 and the loss of jobs, I would suspect that once evictions are allowed again there may be lot of scrambling in the near future with most willing to make deals of some sort. Is there a problem where you currently are? Perhaps a deal can be made? Just throwing ideas out there.

I hope it all gets settled for you soon. That's a lot of pressure.

Server Administrator

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:06 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Uchuuko » Fri May 22, 2020 3:38 pm

The cheaper houses in the state where I live are at least three hours away from where we currently are. I thought it would be a good plan for my mom to quit her current job and get a different job closer wherever the new place is. I don't know the nature of the work, or where the new home is to be. My household is really homeless, and the drama with my stepdad's leaving us and possibly havng stolen my mom's stimulus funds continues. We're just staying in my younger brother's apartment in which he lives while he attends college.

I will ask some relatives and ask if they know of any places. I do not remember seeing any real estate brokers in real life, but I have seen signs for living communities that turn out to be too expensive. I will be on the lookout for the brokers and opportunities. Thank you galled.

Postby galled » Fri May 22, 2020 4:17 pm

There are usually cheaper areas located within any town or city. While I don't doubt that there are cheaper housing costs overall further away, that's a big jump with even more unknowns.

Sorry about the drama. It's really tough when you have to live with the consequences of the behavior of others (and supposed "adults").

Check sites like Craig's List too (but be really careful! --a lot of scammers).

Real estate brokers are hard to identify in just walking down the street unless you see a sign. They usually have offices and run ads in the local papers and on local TV. Google can be a help with this much.

You might see if the local colleges have resources too. They usually have a place where local housing listings are posted for students, but you might find something there too.

Good luck! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Sorry to hear you are burdened with all of this! Thank God for your brother for now! Can he help you find a place? Relatives are a better bet, they may know of friends who are renting out.

Please don't co-sign, you don't want to ruin your line of credit.

You might just have to tell your Mom she will have to settle for less...for now. You can only do what she can afford. Once she saves money she can look for better.

Around us $700 MIGHT get you a room in a house with other renters, not a place to yourself, your cost of living must be different where you are. How much are a one bedroom or studio apartment around you?

Can she transfer her work? (For example the Post service will let you transfer to another area if there is an opening, some restaurants will let you transfer to another place they own, even grocery stores you can transfer). Or can she do caregiver work where you get a wage and a room included?

Can she sue your stepdad for alimony or child support? If she knew how much money she had coming in a month she could use that maybe as collateral.

For you I would do as Galled suggested & see if the college resources know of anything. People willing to rent to college students will often do that.

Postby Uchuuko » Fri May 22, 2020 5:51 pm

@Lemon: One bed houses/mobile homes/studios typically fetch around $1K right now. We are in the process of starting a divorce case (alimony), but she is intent on getting back in touch with a nonprofit law firm that hasn't been calling her back because "They're experiencing high call volumes due to the pandemic". I want her to get a consultation and forget about these people are the nonprofit. The other nonprofits I have looked at offer free legal advice, and don't guarantee that a lawyer will make a case. Additionally, I was considering having her sue my stepdad seperately from the divorce because the divorce will likely be much more costly. I think the lawsuit for her stimulus money needs to come asap if my stepdad really took the money, especially since they're coming out with a new stimulus bill.

I also want to file a report with the ftc (they do deal with id theives' stealing stimulus money), since I can't get any IRS representative on the phone whatsoever. My mom isn't trying to ask my stepdad about the stimulus money at all, and my stepdad isn't even speaking to her about it. All he is saying is that he is working, among other things. I haven't spoke with my stepdad is months; I feel hesistant to talk with him because it feels awkward right now to think about it, and I think it will be awkward to suddenly start talking with him. Do you think I should call him? I can record the call too.

Postby Uchuuko » Fri May 22, 2020 6:25 pm

@galled: I took a look at the Craigslist for my area, and I found some deals that look legitimate and more affordable than what is shown on sites like Zillow or Rent.com. I was hesistant to use Craiglists until your post; thank you.

Postby galled » Fri May 22, 2020 6:38 pm

People renting out on their own (as opposed to using brokers who are commission based so they want rent as high as possible) can charge less. But you don't have as much protections because an intermediary is not involved. Most are legit, but just be careful and you should be fine.

If your P's file jointly, your stepdad has no right to your mom's stim money.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/my-hu ... yptr=yahoo

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ill-n ... yptr=yahoo

Server Administrator

Postby Uchuuko » Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 pm

I know right? They do file jointly, and I think it is stupid that the governtment is sending out checks like that to jointly filing couples. :( What do you think about my idea to speak to my stepdad? Do you think I should bother, or should I just file a report with the FTC and/or just let a lawyer look into this asap? We also did not receive a letter concerning the stimulus check, which is understandable because my my mom found out that my stepad had his mail forwarded to him. The mail people must have thought it was completely fine to send the letter to him since I guess the letter had his name listed first or something. People have done stuff like this before.

I hope that when we can get the court case(s) going, we'll be able to rip my stepdad and whoever else is helping him (he's not computer literate enough to be able to fill out the form to get the stimulus money by himself) new bungholes. He and his accomplices are violating federal law! :

Postby Uchuuko » Fri May 22, 2020 6:49 pm

And thank you for the news sources you linked. I have been looking for posts that more closely match the situation my parents are in.

Postby galled » Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 pm

I think you should stay out of it simply because it's between your P's. Support your mom, but you have no legal standing with this. Stim money was automatically sent out to anyone eligible who filed taxes last year.

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 pm

I don't know if IRS will talk to you about your Mom's claim since you are not the filer. IRS may speak to the person who prepared the taxes for them though. Did you say you got hold of them? Your Mom is still going to have to be the one to talk to them if you don't have power of attorney.

Craigslist can be ok but DO be very careful.
Whoever you rent with, take before photos and make sure you sign a lease agreement that you have read through first, and when you do a walk through with the owner make notes on the agreement what is broken and what they agree to fix.

When you record someone I think you have to let them know you are recording it or it is not admissible in court.

You need to look up the laws for divorce where you are. Some places I think you can file yourself. Just remember that a lawyer charges you for every phone call and visit so you need to go in prepared.

A thought that might be reassuring:
Are you in the US? Did your Mom & Dad do individual forwards? (versus a family forward where any mail for someone with that last name is forwarded to one address). If mail has both their names on and they have individual forwards, then it can not be forwarded to one, it is returned to sender. The IRS checks look like they are being returned to sender anyway and not forwardable.
So, unless the tax preparer had the check mailed to them to disperse, then it is likely your step father does not have the stimulus check. I am not sure how it works in Canada.

Postby Uchuuko » Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Thank you both for your awesome advice. I won't call my stepdad.

@galled: My parent file taxes every year, but they received their returns via a prepaid card provided by their tax preparer. I think it was still likely that someone I might know could've helped my stepdad enter in bank account information into the application for the stimulus money- even though thee was a special case for some who ended up getting checks mailed to them. My mom' portal shows an account number that was supposed to receive stimulus funds by the end of April.

@Lemon: I never got a hold of the IRS; I was only sent to an automated machine when I call the two numbers I know (the regular IRS line, and then the number for the stimulus money that I found online). My parents initially had a family forward, but after my stepdad left he created his own forward. It seems like we are no longer getting his mail, and my mom found out that he received one of my medical bills that his insurance was responsible for paying at his new address. Both my mom and dad's GMP app show that a bank account was the destination of their stimulus check, so this situation is weird right now. I am in the US.

Postby galled » Fri May 22, 2020 8:23 pm

You're welcome! Winners help each other! :cheer:

Your mom might be able to talk to the people who did their taxes and see if they can help track her stimulus payment. She should try and talk to her husband about it too (perhaps written so there's a "paper trail"). Not asking at all won't fly in court.

Just fyi my parents split up too when I was still at home and both were idiots about everything. Keep on track with your life and separate from the madness ASAP is the best advice I can give you. You're on track, so I'm sure you'll be fine even if tougher days may be ahead. I made it through and I'm sure you will too because you have much more going for you than I did at the time.

We're all rootin' for you! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Uchuuko » Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Aw shucks galled! :D

I don't know if there is anything else my mom's tax preparer can do for her. The last time we went to them about this, the woman said that my mom would have to sue my stepdad for it. The preparer did say that once the IRS gets human representatives back on the lines, my mom could speak with them and ask about who her stimulus money actually went to. I really got into this situation because the tax preparer told my mom to get me to fill out the form on her behalf (since she is computer illiterate). I was busy the day I found out the app went live, and so I didn't find out the app was live until later that day after I went to class and worked on a video for a project that had to be submitted the next day. I was given short notice of the video I needed to make. Prior to that day, I tried and did not find a date that the website was supposed to launch. I have felt bad because things might have turn out much better had I watched the IRS website like a hawk. On the other hand, I was thinking my mom could try suing my stepdad for the money before she starts a divorce (since that may take longer and be more expensive).

I was telling my mom that she needs to ask my stepdad about the stimulus check. She hasn't asked whatsoever. She could at least ask for his current address (he's out of state is he was telling the truth), now that you have told me about writing him letters.

Next

Return to Hinterland