Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

House Hunting

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: House Hunting

Postby Uchuuko » Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 pm

@Lemon: I don't know if my mom can transfer her work. It may not be likely for now since she just started at her job over a month ago, and she works at a staffing company.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:22 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat May 23, 2020 10:51 am

Your Mom or you needs to check with the delivery Post Office of your old address to see what forwards have been put in. If she has your step dad's last name now then she needs to put in an individual forward for her name. The post office can modify the original forward. This can be done for free by picking up a change of address card at the local post office of where you are now or go online to usps.com and it is $1.05 charge (don't pay more!), which doesn't always work if the credit card has a different address.

You each need to put in an individual forward if you are all going to different addresses.

If you never took on the last name of your step dad you can put in a forward for family for your last name to your brothers ( or open a Post office box and have your mail forwarded to it). That way any names with your last name will be forwarded to you.

Your step dad will probably get any health insurance mail if you are covered under his plan. When you go to the Drs give them your new address so any personal mail, like lab tests results, will go to you. I am not sure if your parents divorce, if you are still covered on his plan so you should look into getting your own plan coverage. I know of people who just remain separated so that they can still use the health insurance or other benefits.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:22 pm

Postby Gingerale » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 pm

Were you able to get a place?

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 pm

Postby Uchuuko » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:05 pm

Not yet, but I managed to help my mom get a better job. I might have an online job before the end of this coming week, if the people on a different website aren't messing around. We should be better off in time. There's just nothing available for how cheap we were looking for nearby. And if there were any properties for cheap anywhere, they were either never available to begin with or snatch up quickly. I only found scams on our area's Craigslist, but I think it might have been due to the rent we were looking for.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Sounds like things are improving which is a positive sign! Are there any lower income housing in your area? Some are actually nice. There is usually a maximum of what you can make but you can always get on the list if you qualify & decide when your name comes up.

Postby Uchuuko » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:04 pm

My mom is not interested in the low income programs. We're going to hold out until my mom gets this new job.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:23 pm

well, it doesn't hurt to get on the list if you qualify, you can always turn it down.

In the meantime you can look around!

Previous

Return to Hinterland