Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Autism Awareness Thread

Moderator: Ryvvi

Autism Awareness Thread

Postby WingsofLove » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:22 am

This is for anyone who knows someone with autism, has autism, or just wants to learn a little about it. I have autism, I have worked with people with autism, and have friends as well with autism.

Any questions are welcome.

I may be a bit blunt due to it, so please tell me if I come across as rude.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 pm

Me and the horse I ride or used to

Re: Autism Awareness Thread

Postby galled » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:47 pm

Hello!

What a great idea!

My exposure to anyone with autism that has been more than a casual acquaintance or random person I'll run into here is limited. From what I can tell, there's a whole range ("spectrum" is the word used I believe), and I think literally everyone has some characteristics or quirks that fit on that spectrum. I know I do! But I don't think anyone would diagnose me as autistic, at least I don't think so!

And from what I learned from the tv shows THE GOOD DOCTOR, there are aspects associated with autism that would benefit all human beings. I also think that "not filtering" sometimes is a good thing, and that the opposite (coddling--for lack of a better word) is just as bad if not worse in the grand scheme of things. Of course, that doesn't mean one shouldn't be civil or courteous, but just that like most things, extremes are very bad.

I guess one question I might have is where is the line drawn on diagnosis or is there one for autism? I think with alcoholism (perhaps a bad example) they don't consider it a problem/call it that unless you can't stop and/or it interferes with your life/responsibilities.

Please, I don't mean to put you on the spot if you don't know. I am just wondering out loud a bit I suppose.

In any case, I'm very happy to meet you and that autism hasn't hindered you from being here!

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:53 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby WingsofLove » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:33 pm

Yes autism is a spectrum. Some are verbal and some aren’t. I am verbal. Autism is not bad. I have had site banning towards me because of autism but that does not stop me. I learn and hope to find a good community. There is melt downs with autism but they are just a release because they can’t communicate how they are feeling the non verbal ones. They can get violent but you just need to stay calm and handle it

Postby galled » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:04 pm

I think frustration is something everyone has to deal with. Do you know of or can you share any solutions that may help people cope? I know letting people vent is the first thing, but I've also been in situations that venting gets out of hand (they don't know when they're nearing the line of unacceptable). At that point, removing yourself from the area is the only option. Do you have any suggestions on what may work/help keep everyone from crossing the line before it gets out of hand? I know sometimes talking and reasoning has sometimes made things worse. :/

Server Administrator

Postby WingsofLove » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:32 pm

Yes just try and descalate the situation, there may be a prn like medication that will help someone or just if it gets too crazy you just tell them gently that they need to stop or there will be consequences.

Do you work with people with autism or disabilities or wanting to work in that field out of curiosity?

Postby galled » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:38 pm

No, I don't work in the field. I just like to learn about what others do to get along (manage might be more accurate--not in commanding, but as being able to get through extraneous stuff efficiently). I wish everyone would have this type of goal in common--I think everything would run a lot smoother and we'd have more time to actually get stuff done. :)

You reminded me of another thing I don't really understand: One part of the spectrum is commonly thought of as lack of emotion, but that's not true--people with autism have emotions, it's the empathy that's hard (putting oneself in another's shoes)? But it also seems like the lack of better communication skills may be the cause sometimes? Or is it one might not recognize the emotion they're feeling?

Sorry for so many questions, but I've never had the opportunity to learn from someone like yourself. :)

Server Administrator

Postby WingsofLove » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Yes. They struggle with empathy but not me so much i learned how to be empathetic. We have lack of social skills or without the social rule book but we can learn the social skills and learn empathy it just will take us longer and needs to be taught.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:16 pm

Great idea for a thread ...especially if you don't mind us asking questions! ...and I am learning already!

Postby WingsofLove » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:31 pm

Great I am so happy you all are learning. Just treat me with kindness like you would anyone else. A good rule of thumb for any disability

Postby galled » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:13 pm

That's a good rule of thumb for everyone. Winners are especially kind and super-friendly! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:32 am

Eyyy I used to cooperate with kiddos diagnosed with ASD before, they are a super cool bunch. Each day been a learning experience for both parties.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:53 am

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:04 am

I'm also autistic. I was diagnosed with Asperger's and ADHD when I was a kid. A pretty rare thing considering I'm female. I think I had more of the "male" symptoms back then.

I tend to get shutdowns instead of meltdowns. I can barely function when it happens. I feel physically heavy and I struggle to physically talk, on the rare occasion I go mute, and my comprehension just goes. I usually have to lie down for a while.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 am

Postby WingsofLove » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:14 am

Yeah black outs for me happen when I get stressed to the max with anything. They have only happened like a few times. I have built up quite some tolerance from being pushed to be better, and bullying through school and even in my adult life.

I am aspergers and adhd too.

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 am

It's interesting that ADHD and autism are usually diagnosed together.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 am

Postby WingsofLove » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:52 am

Yeah I know. It is an autism comorbid.

Next

Return to Hinterland