Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Stories from a 5th grade teacher~

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Stories from a 5th grade teacher~

Postby Mousy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:01 am

XD The students are sweeties for the most part!

related note- my cat has definitely adopted the bear. She keeps grooming it. :cheer:

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:46 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:11 am

I guess there is no giving it back now!

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 am

Postby Mousy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:21 am

The girl will love the story. XD I plan on letting her know on Tuesday Haha!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:11 pm

Yes her heart will be so happy that her gift is so well loved.

Postby Mousy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 pm

So~
My students got to explore this really cool thing called the STEAM express today! Basically it's something that my district has that incorporates all kinds of cool S.T.E.A.M. related things and it comes to each campus once or twice a year on a huge semi truck. It is super cool! It's got robots that follow marker trails, an $8,000 robot, all sorts of forensics tools, animation tools, and so much more. It's awesome!

ANYWAY, one of the things that they can play with on there is a set of cord phones that they can only use to call the other, but in order to get it to work, they have to fix the circuits.

They fixed the circuits just fine. That was not a problem. BUT the problem was when they had to use the phone to talk to their friend on the other side of the truck. Most of my kids could not figure out what to do. Kids were holding the receiver upside down, they were holding the entire phone in front of them, face up, yelling at it, asking why they couldn't hear their friends and some just look at me like "what happening? What do? How do?"

I never once thought I'd have to teach 10 year olds how to use a phone. :shock:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 pm

wow, I feel ancient.I think we still have a line land around here somewhere...

Cool field trip and learning tool for them though! I wish we had stuff like that around here.

Postby Mousy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:28 pm

A few weeks ago, I had a student that was not trying. AT ALL. I took him out in the hall and I talked to him and I used the phrase "I really need you to put forth some effort."

We go to recess and lunch and he comes back to me and tells me he's changed his attitude and he's going to work hard now. I told him that I was proud of him and that I looked forward to seeing what he accomplished.

He finishes his assignment and tells me "I put FIVE effort in it!"

It was all I could do to not crack up laughing right there.
He was hearing "put 4th effort" and so it made logical sense to him that putting 5 effort would be above and beyond what I was asking for.
:wink: :cheer:

ALSO! update from the used bear gift story from above-
My son LOVES that old, used bear. It is his favorite and we call it Night-Night Bear because we can't sleep without it. :heart:

Postby Gingerale » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Awwww it just goes to show you that we need to make sure what we say is being interpreted or understood correctly. Tell them next time you want a #10 job done!

Local time: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:46 am

Previous

Return to Hinterland