Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Stories from a 5th grade teacher~

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Stories from a 5th grade teacher~

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:40 pm

oh yuck!!! It really is poor you! Did you have to go home and change?

When I was doing training I had a kid who said he didn't feel well so I asked his Mom maybe he should come back a different day but she said he was fine. So I had him laying back in the dental chair and I was polishing his teeth when I heard a funny noise. I looked at him. his eyes opened wide I said are you ok and before I knew it the vomit came shooting up like a geyser and splattered all over us. I barely missed it covering my face. I have been thrown up on by others, holding kids, burping babies etc but never like that. I whipped him upright and grabbed the tray and then the trash can and had him finish throwing up in that.

Local time: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:00 am

Postby Ryvvi » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:22 am

oh no D:
eeew
that sound horrifying lemon

Local time: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:00 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:42 pm

I think we all have stories of something that has stuck with us...most of it lies dormant until something triggers the memory, like Mousy's story. I have a view other vomit stories but that one had the greatest impression. I think another reason I give nurses credit and wouldn't want to be one- I can't stomach smells and such myself.

Postby Mousy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:19 pm

New school year = new stories!

I had a student run up to me about the 2nd week of school and go Mrs. C! I cleaned my desk! What kind of reward do I get for that? I told him that we don't get rewards for that kind of thing (because they don't keep the same desk all day long. I teach 4 classes and it's all modeled like a high school classroom). He told me that sometimes a simple Thank You was good enough.

Oh these babies. I have more stories, but that one will do for now.

Local time: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:00 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Aw, so adorable.

Local time: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:00 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:08 pm

lessons from the mouths of babes... small reminders

Postby Maro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:26 am

aww oh my gods that's so adorable

Local time: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 am

Art by - ciel

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:18 pm

need more stories....
I had compliments on your count on me theme Mousy! Thanks for letting me know!

Postby Maro » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 pm

yes more stories mousy!~

Local time: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 am

Postby Mousy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:18 am

XD This one is my favorite so far this year!

I was having a lot of trouble with pencils. I keep a basket in my room for those that need one, but they have to return it at the end of class. I was losing TONS of pencils this way so I had a little meeting with all 4 of my classes. I was tired of griping at them about it, so I tried a different approach. I told them "Now, I know that you guys aren't walking out of this room with my pencils because I asked you to put them back in the basket when you were done. So! The only explanation is that these pencils are growing legs and walking out of here. I need you guys to keep an eye on these pencils and make sure they don't walk out of this room. They can't grow legs if they go back to the basket!" Most of my students were like "okay haha we get it Mrs. C. okay..." but this year I have 2/4 classes that are half sped. Sometimes I forget that with a few of those students (and seriously it's just a few. like 1 or 2), I have to be very literal. One of my boys whipped out his pencil and just stared at it for like 10min! I told him that he would need to interrogate the pencil after class. and I about died laughing later!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:18 am

Ah... things come across so much better with a little humor...but are they listening and putting the pencils back or are they taking them home to secretly see if they are sprouting legs? You should glue some legs on a couple and leave them laying around somewhere in the room see if the kids notice.

Postby Mousy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:04 pm

It worked for a while, but now I'm back to pencils just disappearing. I refuse to punish kids for not having a pencil because I'm in a high poverty school and they may just not have one. But it is really frustrating when I give them a brand new pencil and then the next day it's just gone. I tried putting washi tape on 4 pencils and those stayed for about 3-4 weeks and then kids started peeling the tape off and taking the pencil. Pencils are such a silly thing to get frustrated over, but they really add up. I can't buy new pencils every week. AND kids seem to think they can use that as an excuse to not do work. I'll tell them to go grab a crayon to do their work and then they magically find a pencil in their bag to use.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:17 pm

Staples and Office Max and Walmart in California have school supplies on dirt cheap the month before school sessions start back up.Pencil's sets, glue etc are generally available for purchase for under a dollar -most times 25 cents. Do they have that where you are? I often have wondered that if the stores can afford to do that then why can't they donate to poverty area schools?

MacDonald also supplies free back packs with supplies and local groups have donation areas for school supplies for low income families. Do they do that in your area? Can you have a bin put in the grocery or Walmart stores where people can do something like that for your school?

6th graders up at the local schools do community projects. Maybe that could be brought up as a project for one or a group of them to do?

(I was cleaning up my stuff and found a whole drawer full of pens, pencils, colored pencils etc. We should all pack our extras up and send them off to you!)

Postby Mousy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:44 pm

They are really cheap at back to school time! I stock up and I make my mom stock up too. This year I also made her buy notebooks for me because they were .14 for one day only. XD

I haven't seen anything for the mcdonalds free backpacks, but PTA does stuff backpacks for low income students. When I was in school, the free lunch students got school supplies for Christmas from some organization, but that was in a completely different state. Sometimes churches will provide supplies, but those that need it have to go to the church and ask. I wouldn't be able to go and ask for it.

My coworker is using this site where you pay a minimum of $25, but you get a ton of supplies of your choosing. I'm looking into it now.

Just drop all of your pens and pencils into the windlyn dropbox and they will make their way to me. XD If only!
I make my mom look at yard sales too. Usually they'll sell bags of supplies for .25.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:52 pm

and if those pencils would quit walking off then you might not have to get so many!

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland