Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Stories from a 5th grade teacher~

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Stories from a 5th grade teacher~

Postby Mousy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:54 pm

I can't remember if I posted this one or not

But
A few weeks ago, I saw a kid face-plant it in the hallway. Like sprawled out on the floor! He started doing push ups like that was what he meant to do the whole time and it was the smoothest thing I've ever seen. I started cracking up!

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby Maro » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:19 am

Oh my gods 10/10 that kid is going places!

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:30 pm

Art by - ciel

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:05 pm

stories...gots to hear more stories...

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 am

Postby Maro » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:12 am

yush! more stories!

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:30 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:12 pm

we have a treasure box at work with small toys in it for the kids who come in and this one little guy who could barely talk was trying to tell me how he wanted a bug in plastic for Christmas. So I told him I didn't have one of those but there might be a plastic bug or coloring book in the treasure chest. So, he looked and decided all he wanted was his bug that is covered in plastic so he can look at it. I even went into my secret stash and tried to give him the teenage mutant ninja turtle activity book with stickers and a poster in it (because his Mom said he loves the TMNT) and the star wars activity kit but nope he wanted to wait until Christmas for his bug covered in plastic. So I will have to investigate and look for one - his Mom is pregnant and they just moved into the low income housing which means Dad barely makes enough money for them to survive. I told them to come to the community Christmas event because they have lots of food and the kids get treat bags so it would be fun to have something for him by then.But I was actually quite amazed, usually I have kids crying because they want more then one item (which if they had asked I would have let them have but not when they got all whiny over it)or taking forever to decide on a toy or book.

Postby Mousy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:49 pm

What a sweet baby!! I hope they come to the event!

we are out for Thanksgiving break. FINALLY! phew! it's always a looooong stretch through the fall semester. We don't have nearly as many off days as we do in the spring semester.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:52 pm

rest and put up your feet!( In between cooking for everyone)

Postby Mousy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:56 pm

That was the plan. ;D
We even bought a recliner to have an extra relaxing time.
I brought home a stack of papers to grade, but I bet I'll just stare at them all week.

My kids this year are so sweet. They were all hugging me like they'd never see me again. It's just a week angel babies! Last years kids- I blinked and they were out of that door! no hugs for us. XD

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:59 pm

:grin: 'm glad it is different this year for you , the less stress the better and hugs always get those warm, fuzzy pheromones going that are good for us... :heart:

Postby Mousy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:12 pm

I brought home papers to grade over the break so that I could do it at my leisure.... no stress. Just grade when I feel like it. Also, I had these grand plans to go to my classroom and organize and get it all ready with no kids around.

Unfortunately, I never felt like it.

School is back in tomorrow, 6 weeks grades are due tomorrow, and I haven't touched a single paper. I could start on it now and still have a free evening to do as I please, but I'm on windlyn. I just like the rush of last minute grading. ;)

Luckily, tomorrow is just a staff day. No students, just professional development. I can easily stay after an hour or so and get my desks ready. I think my room is clean. I went crazy before break to make sure it was "parent ready" for the Christmas parties.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Does your school allow parents to come in and volunteer to help? You can here but you have to go through fingerprinting and background check first and if you are driving for a field trip you have to do a DMV check and show proof of insurance.
Can your hubby help with the grading?

Postby Mousy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:54 pm

They do, but I've only had one parent come up and help and she wasn't even a parent of one of MY students.. She's my neighbor. XD The others don't offer and I don't ask. I keep my classroom pretty well organized for the most part. It gets a little crazy at the end of a marking period, but nothing too bad. We hold all of our team's meetings in my room so that the parents don't see the other rooms that are suuuuper messy.

He can help with grading and he does from time to time, but he's a lot more harsh than I am. He's a high school minded teacher and I'm dealing with elementary kids. He doesn't quite get that we don't mark EVERYTHING wrong. I only mark things wrong that we are covering that week or we've already covered. and most of mine have paperwork stating that spelling is not allowed to be marked against them.. it's just easier if I do it. Haha!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:33 pm

well, I hope you were able to whiz right through those stacks of paper and left them nice little words of inspiration on them!

Postby Mousy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:15 pm

One really fun thing about being an elementary teacher is the gifts you get on holidays. XD

This year, my favorite, FAVORITE gift is a teddy bear. This bear is special because it's so obviously used. That means that one of my students gave me something of hers that was special to her because she was thinking of me. These gifts are so sweet because a good majority of my kids have nothing, but when they have something, they choose to share it with you. I am usually torn because I don't want them to give something away, but I don't want to hurt their feelings by not accepting the gift. I've learned that it's best to accept the gift and be so completely thrilled with it that it makes it worth it to them. Does that make sense? This bear is so cute. It's missing an eye and it's just aaaahhh. XD Also, I think my cat adopted it. She keeps licking it.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45 am

ahhhhh (makes me want to bundle up all the stuffed animals I have and send them to your class!)

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland