Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

I want to work from home (rantramble)

Moderator: Ryvvi

I want to work from home (rantramble)

Postby Banni » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:10 am

Retail is literally, mentally destroying me to little bits.
I do freelance illustration jobs on the side, which I used to finish a piece within 2 weeks.
I can't even bring myself to pick up one that only has maybe two hours work left on it, if even that long. I get so overwhelmed with stress or depression from my job and the daily abuse there that I feel too miserable to draw.
It's kinda awful

So I am pretty much debating on quitting my job, since I can't make a living off it anyways, there's no room for promotions or anything there and January hour cuts make sure I can never afford bills to move out. >->
I can't drive and other jobs are actually worse off, since I already tried working elsewhere.

I can't afford anything with just my illustrations though, I don't get many orders these days. But I wonder if there is something else I can do

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 9:05 pm

Re: I want to work from home (rantramble)

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 am

I wish I could work at home

If there's something you can create and sell (plushies, ornaments, pins, etc) you could start making and selling those

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 11:05 pm

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Banni » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:43 am

I'm not very good at crafting, though that is something I wish I can do. I can practice but materials aren't cheap (when you only work at kmart xD)
But that is something probably worth looking into

Postby Hocus Pocus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:51 am

I wish I could work at home doing commissions. o.o They'd be like a dream job for my antisocial self. Maybe you need to advertise your work more, maybe get some ads up on sites if you don't already have some.

Postby Banni » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:59 am

Maybe
Another bit to the story is I MIGHT end up moving across the country again, so I'll end up having to quit job anyways and be unemployed until I find one where I go (and I'll be living on husband's paycheck). That is IF we go, we're not yet sure about the job details that he might have lined up there.

So it could be a good idea to start early. I'd make sure I keep up with it of course.
But the ONLY THING holding me back really, is my phone bill o-o
Last time I lived off art stuff, mom was paying my phone bill cause I was younger then. I DO NOT wanna make my husband pay it cause he already pays a shitton toward college loans. So I might risk not having a phone which isn't a super huge deal but makes things a little harder for reasons

Also.. less money toward moving

Postby Hocus Pocus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:45 pm

What sort of phone service do you have? If you don't use your phone a lot you could get a tracphone and pay when you need to add minutes.

Postby Banni » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:08 pm

I have Boost Mobile, it's about $50 a month but not contracted
and its unlimited everything. I dont need internet but I DO use call and text a lot, a lot of it is for work and keeping in touch with family out of state. So I kind of need it but kinda not a big deal if I drop it?
If I keep paying on time though it will shrink until it hits $35 monly... so that is such a good deal to me I don't wanna drop it xD

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Banni, Have you tried checking into working at Starbuck's, Panda Express, In and Out... they all offer benefits and vacation pay. Starting wage can't be any worse then Kmart but you get benefits.Not sure who you have out where you live. Sears was affiliated with Kmart can you transfer?

UPS and USPS also offer benefits. Can you drive? Check into Rural carrier they at start higher wage $17/hr I think. Waitress can make good tips, my friends 17 year old son makes minimum wage but about $100 or more a night in tips as well. He works nights and week ends.

If you can draw, have you looked into working in advertising? My brother likes to take photos and ended up building web sites for companies and he takes the photos for them.

Postby Banni » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:41 pm

My main issue is that I can't drive
and not that I dont know how to
I am legitimately terrified
I've tried getting over it and nearly ruined my life over a minor accident lol I wont go into details cause it's something recent that still upsets me.
But I've had this phobia since before I even understood the concept of driving :/

So for that, I can't get to Sears (and it's just as bad there, my room mate worked there) can't do UPS/ect, and I tried going back to the food business cause I CAN reach some but they're so much worse. I moan about abusive customers but where I live, most jobs have abusive--like REALLY abusive coworkers, managers and customers. I tried working at some different places and wound up returning to Kmart cause at least there I'm not on the verge of crying every moment xAx;;;

people here suck!

I tried starbucks too, a lot, I'm persistent with them but only got as far as an interview then nope. :<

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Banni, I am so sorry to hear that. I guess I am so lucky to live where I do. How wonderful you have your drawing to use as an outlet. Something will come up if you persevere...maybe because you may be moving nothing has come up for now. Have you sought receptionist jobs at dental/doctors offices? They can be willing to train.

My brother can't drive either, it literally makes him nauseous, he is trying to get help to get over it. Might have to do with the fact that our real Dad died in a car accident. I know it haunts me, driving makes me nervous anyway and I got in an accident a couple weeks ago that more than unsettled me, so I feel for you!

Postby Banni » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:28 am

I've considered a lot of things. As much as I HATE answering phones, a job like that might just be worth it.
Or something.
I miss being a food runner in TX. I was either in the kitchen helping the cooks prep something or idk, cleaning up after customers are gone out of my way, or giving them their food and running. xD Sometimes I'd run into jerks who think I'm responsible for everything but it wasn't nearly as bad as the stuff I go through where I live now.
I've for sure never left work and completely had a mental breakdown. That's become at least once a month orz

In fact, since posting this, I've been upgraded... "upgraded" to another position, service desk, where I'll be making a whole gumball more an hour. Sounds good that way but. Y'know, the abuse that sends me into breakdowns at the cash registers, it ends with me sending them to the service desk to resolve majority of problems (cause not in my power or things get outa hand)
so now my job is to RESOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS ;A;
my manager and other service desk girls always end up breaking down on the job over there so I'm gonna die

Sorry to hear about your dad though. Cars are evil :c
I actually had another nightmare about driving last night. I think part of my fear comes from having way too vivid of an imagination, which always turns for the worst

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:02 am

Psst Kmart bought sears

And I only have a driving permit

Driving fears ugu

Postby Banni » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:29 am

Sears was already suggested, but I can't get to it lol
I probably wont be driving for a long time. I have a license, which was actually a mistake on DMV's fault lol I never even took a test for it.
But I'm too scared to use it, especially with what happened when I did use it before ;c;

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:38 am

You got a license without even trying? I know people who would be jealous and how they passed their tests I don't know

Wish you could stay here during the summers because THEME PARK ALWAYS HIRING DURING THE SUMMER FOUR MILES AWAY YOU CAN WALK OR BIKE IN
Not much better, being seasonal, but it's a chance of pace, at least

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:23 am

Banni, management must have some faith in your abilities if they have promoted you.It is a good way for you to work your way up into positions that pay more. Think of it as you are helping people. I try to treat my customers like I would like to be treated. Maybe you could see if there is a desk job you could do instead? Stocking shelves or something that doesn't deal with the public? My new boss finds it very difficult to work with the customers and her being uptight makes them nervous. One day she was talking softly to a customers dog and I told her later that she should pretend that our customers are doggies because her voice was more relaxed and gentler. She has improved but because she finds it hard to learn the retail side she still stresses out. Do you have a costco near you?

Return to Hinterland