Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Space talk: Pons-Brooks comet until April 21

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Check it out:Strawberry full moon tonight for 6/20 solst

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:18 pm

anybody see the meteor shower tonight

Will cockroach milk soon be on the menu?
[+] SPOILER
A research team based at the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine in India believes that the "milk" from the Pacific beetle cockroach -- the protein-rich crystals that the insects lactate to feed their young -- could make for the next great superfood. Now, maybe you'll think twice before squashing that pesky cockroach in your apartment.

This particular species of cockroach is the only one that gives birth to live young, as opposed to laying eggs. Their "milk" is made up of protein-infused crystals reported to have three times the energy of the equivalent mass of normal dairy milk.

"The crystals are like a complete food -- they have proteins, fats and sugars. If you look into the protein sequences, they have all the essential amino acids," Sanchari Banerjee, one of the main researchers, told the Times of India.

How do we know we aren't already eating it unbeknownst to us?
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-cockroac ... he-future/

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Re: cockroach milk - the food of the future?

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Eugh! GROSS! *shudders*

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Postby Ryvvi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:00 pm

i think i just threw up a little D:

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:36 am

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:05 pm

on the bright side... if there is a nuclear holocaust in the future at least we know we will have food to eat (ugh)

Postby Polaris » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:24 pm

In the post-apocalyptic world, I know we'll be desperate for food... But I don't know if I'll be that desperate ( ・ั﹏・ั)

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:36 pm

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:31 pm

you and me both!

Postby Bassy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 pm

i still can't believe people eat THESE:

[+] SPOILER

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby galled » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:39 pm

That's funny. I spent my whole childhood trying to keep bugs OFF of my lollipops!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Polaris » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:47 am

If anyone ever surprised me with a cake like this, I'd probably faint ༼ ಥ﹏ಥ ༽

[+] SPOILER

Postby Bassy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:26 pm

LOL. That would be a hilarious prank!

But.. What in the WORLD is this..

[+] SPOILER

Postby galled » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:38 pm

The look like giant grasshoppers! Perhaps they're props from a science fiction movie or something? I shudder to think insects that big exist!

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:47 pm

I think grasshoppers 0r is it crickets (they look the same to me) are supposed to be good sources of protein.

I think I would seriously freak out if I saw a grasshopper that big coming at me!!

Postby Polaris » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Hoping and praying that those are fake. If not, then I guess this means natural selection is coming for us O.o

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:30 pm

on the bright side , it would be less work for catching dinner

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:21 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO not bugs in my food! I never want to eat again!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/08/2 ... ating.html
" In the United States, it’s estimated that the average person unintentionally eats a pound of insects every year. Here are a few of the more disgusting bugs sneaking into your food."
[+] SPOILER
Thrips
At anywhere from 1/25 to 1/8 of an inch long, these tiny little winged parasites are legally allowed in apple butter, canned or frozen asparagus, frozen broccoli, and frozen Brussels sprouts.

Aphids
Those same little green or black bugs that can destroy a bouquet of flowers can infiltrate your frozen veggies, particularly spinach, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. And if you home-brew beer, you might consider growing your own hops: The FDA legally allows 2,500 aphids for every 10 grams of hops. (And they’re just one of the 10 most destructive garden insects…)

Mites
These tiny white bugs are common in wheat and other grains that have been stored for a while, but expect to eat a few with your frozen vegetables. If you have indoor allergies, that could be a problem, because storage and grain mites can cause the same type of allergic reaction as the dust mites common in homes.

Maggots
If you’ve ever eaten canned food, you’ve probably also eaten a maggot. These disgusting little critters abound in things like canned mushrooms, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and pizza sauces, as well as fresh, frozen, or Maraschino cherries. Mushrooms are by far the worst: 20 maggots are allowed for every 100 grams of drained mushroom and five for every 500 grams of tomato products.

Fruit Flies
Buy a piece of fruit covered in fruit flies and you can wash them off. Buy a can of citrus juice and you’ll be swilling five fruit flies with every eight-ounce cup of juice. Grab an eight-ounce handful of raisins and you could be eating as many as 35 fruit-fly eggs. (Fruit flies are SO annoying; here’s how to banish them for good.)

Corn Ear Worms
Corn is notoriously difficult to grow organically being that it’s so prone to insect infestations. But in most cases, it’s easy to avoid eating the earworms that burrow into corncobs and eat the silk—just cut the kernels off the cob and voilà, bug-free veggies. However, canned sweet corn will come with some extra crunch from all the larvae, skins, and skin fragments allowed by the FDA.

Cowpea Curculio
Love black-eyed peas? Buy them dried and cook them yourself rather than buying them frozen or canned. A can of black-eyed peas, cowpeas, or field peas may contain an average of five or more cowpea curculio larvae, which will grow into dark brown, beetle-like weevils that infest all manner of peas and beans.

Caterpillars
Fuzzy, ugly caterpillars are supposed to turn into beautiful butterflies for people to marvel at—not eat in a mouthful of frozen spinach. But along with the 50 or so aphids, mites, and thrips allowed in 100 grams of spinach, you may also find yourself munching on caterpillar larvae and larval fragments.

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland