Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Space talk: Pons-Brooks comet until April 21

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: SPACE...see a green comet go by March 30-31st

Postby Fiel-kun » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:19 am

Geez, I only saw some stars last night... wasn't able to catch a glimpse of the comet lol

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 2:31 am

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
I'm responsible for what I post.
You're responsible for what you understand.

| He/Him | Scorpio | Philippines +8 GMT |
:L_Wing: Play & Interact with my pets :R_Wing:

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:32 pm

I just saw some stars and the sky was clouding over. I will have to see if anyone caught it on film and put it online

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 10:31 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed May 04, 2016 9:25 pm

Mercury is set to transit the sun, a celestial event so rare it happens just 13 times in a century.

[+] SPOILER
The planet closest to the sun will begin its crossing at 7:12 a.m. ET Monday. Mercury will slowly journey across the face of the sun, appearing as a small black dot to people on Earth viewing the transit through a telescope or high-powered binoculars with solar filters, which NASA recommends on its website.

The entire journey will take Mercury 7.5 hours, with the planet exiting the sun's glow at 2:42 p.m. ET, according to NASA.

The space agency expects the event will be visible to skygazers in the eastern United States, while those in the West can enjoy checking in on Mercury's progress after sunrise.

Mercury's last trek across the sun was in 2006, according to NASA.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mercur ... d=38865085

Re: SPACE...rare celestial event Monday

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:49 pm

I knew it! Pluto is really a giant turtle floating in space! check out the newest photo of Pluto's surface

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/ ... et-n583996

"The images, which feature a resolution of about 260 feet per pixel, were captured by NASA's New Horizons spacecraft during its epic flyby of Pluto on July 14, 2015. Mission team members have stitched the photos into a high-resolution mosaic and used them to create a stunning new video of Pluto that highlights the dwarf planet's towering water-ice mountains and nitrogen glaciers, among other exotic features."

It took 10 months for the pictures to get to us here on Earth!

Re: PLUTO's surface looks like a giant turtle shell

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Check out photos of Saturn's rings and circling moons on the below link:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/health/na ... index.html

An interaction between objects caused a visible disruption in the planet's F ring

"The Cassini mission, which ends in September 2017, has been exploring the planet and its moons, rings and powerful magnetosphere. During the planet's autumnal equinox in 2010, the sun shone on the rings, enabling Cassini to collect exciting insights about their composition."

Re: Space: Saturn's rings and moons

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Strawberry moon tonight!

"Today is a special day in the Northern Hemisphere. It’s the summer solstice, the day with the most amount of sunlight, and the start of summer. Not only that, but people who gaze up to the heavens will also see a full moon, a coincidence that hasn’t happened in decades.

[+] SPOILER
In New York City, the solstice occurs at 6:34 p.m. ET. The Earth is tilted by 23.5 degrees, and so on the summer solstice, the Northern Hemisphere is angled directly towards the sun. The sun rose bright and early at 5:25 a.m. ET today, and won’t set until 8:31 p.m. ET.

Then there’s the moon— it officially became full early this morning, and rises in New York today at 8:33 p.m. ET. This month’s moon is also called the Strawberry Moon.

In short, there’s a whole lot of sunlight to enjoy today, and a full moon at night to boot. If you could see the Earth, sun, and moon from above, they’d form a line today, with the Earth in between the two other celestial bodies.

Anthony F. Aveni, a professor of astronomy, anthropology, and Native American Studies at Colgate University, said that one of the world’s most famous solstice celebration spots is Stonehenge, England.

“There’s no doubt that the sun rises over the Heel Stone, if you look down the avenue from the center of the great megalithic circle,” he told FoxNews.com. “We don’t know whether [Stonehenge] was a temple, or an observatory, or a combination of both.”

Then there's the Mayans, who reportedly pushed people off of pyramids on the solstice, according to astronomer Bob Berman.

Related: Surprise! Newfound asteroid is 'quasi-moon' of Earth

In Roman times, an event called Vestalia Festival came before the solstice, and involved animal sacrifices, Aveni said.

And in Germany, Aveni said that a flaming wooden wheel figured into solstice celebrations in medieval times— the burning wheel, representative of the sun and fertility, was rolled down into a river.

As for the fact that this year’s solstice includes a full moon, Aveni reflected: “This is the time to celebrate— because you got a full moon ruling the night, and of course the sun ruling the day for a long period of time. So a lot of sunshine, which makes you think of a lot of fertility.”

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/06/ ... tcmp=hpbt4

Re: Check it out:Strawberry full moon tonight for 6/20 solst

Postby Maro » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:50 pm

I saw the full moon earlier tonight. It was really beautiful

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 3:01 pm

Art by - ciel

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:54 pm

I thought it was beautiful too, got to see the moon rise tonight and tried taking some zoom pictures but I wasn't able to catch the color orangy pinkish tinge on it. Well, I say that but I still have to download the photos to see for sure.

Postby Maro » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:35 pm

I enjoyed just sitting outside with a cup of tea and some music looking at te sky for a good while that's for sure

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 3:01 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:49 pm

It was so much cooler outside then inside the house tonight with our heat wave that it was quite peaceful and relaxing to be out and the moon is so bright that it is quite a beautiful evening

Postby Akuyi » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:34 am

I think it looks like a... jellyfish. o.o

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 6:31 pm

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:39 am

Are you talking about a cloud formation or did your strawberry full moon actually remind you of a jellyfish because that would be quite interesting since you are on the other half of the world and it could be totally possible that the moon looks differently to you when it rises....and our jellyfish here are clear but over your way they could be a different color.

Postby Akuyi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:25 am

No, I think I confused what you are talking about. I thought this was still about what's in the OP. xD

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:16 am

hee, hee I do that,( get confused as to what thread I am on). Were you able to see the full moon last week?

Postby Akuyi » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:19 am

Naw I don't think so. At least I didn't pay attention to it. :O

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland