Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

What do you think?

Moderator: Ryvvi

What do you think?

Postby Ryvvi » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:23 am

Found this~ http://actualmenacebuckybarnes.tumblr.com/post/116462731170/yellowfacing
what are your thoughts on the matter? Do you think its racist and totally not ok, or like, mimicry is the highest form of flattery. or maybe a bit of both? idk.

Also a bit of swearing if that bothers you~

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:08 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Re: What do you think?

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:15 am

I think that if it's not an everyday means, then I think it's fine. I mean, as long as they don't claim they're Asian when they're not and make it they're lifestyle. And with the movie directors choosing a non-Asian person over an Asian person to play a role of an Asian person definitely is racist. I think it's just more intention than them actually doing it. If they do it because they want to look Asian, then I can see where that gets problematic and would go against that. But if it's for just a day, I don't think it's racist at all.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 am

Postby Maro » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:27 am

Honestly I'm not a fan of it at all, it irks the heck out of me on various levels. Any kind of 'facing' irks me to some extent. Heck I've been accused of trying to look native just for vvearing jevvelry and such my great aunt made me .... I -am- mostly native on my mother's side.. I'm just extremely pale. The fact that a lot of people get avvay vvith cherry picking aspects of a culture to use it as a costume alvvays bothered me. I'd get into it a bit more but then I'd be unable to hold in the profanity vvishing to spevv forth at this moment in time. It's never okay to dress up as another ethnicity JUST to look like said ethnicity. If you like the clothes that's all fine and dandy, but doing it JUST to look like that ethnicity as I said is not okay. Also the guy that got surgery to look like that is messed up.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 am

Art by - ciel

Postby Lime » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:12 am

I agree, any kind of 'facing' isn't cool.

Although the only thing about the article that irks me, was the "My friend said it was okay!" part, they neglected to mention (unless I missed it, I apologise! I had to read it quickly), but I think they should have firmly stated "Just because your friend from X ethnicity said it was okay, and it doesn't bother THEM, they aren't speaking for AN ENTIRE NATION OF PEOPLE."

But other than that, I can't really say I know how it feels to have people "facing," like.. I'm a Caucasian female, I'm super Dutch looking. NOBODY pretends to be Dutch people, lmao. I'm also part native on the other side of my family, but I don't look it at ALL. My only sister does though, and even then not that much. So we never say anything.

I'm a very nonchalant and easy-going person though, so if somebody did try to emulate anything about a culture of mine, I'd be like "Well.. I get what you're TRYING to mean," haha, and brush it off. But I know that's just me- so I wouldn't speak for an entire group of people.

The worst I've had is when I went to Cuba, all the girls there want to look white/pale/etc. and have bright eyes, just like girls here in North America want to look tan all the time. But that's not really "facing" to me, since it's more or less sun exposure, not the actual ethnic/cultural side of it.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:08 am

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Return to Hinterland