Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

Discuss - circumcision a violation of human rights?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Discuss - circumcision a violation of human rights?

Postby I Shall Engrave » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:59 am

Do you believe that circumcision is a violation of human rights? Or do you support the circumcision of boys at childbirth because it is a religious practice and a matter of good hygiene? I want to hear your opinions.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 am

Re: Discuss - circumcision a violation of human rights?

Postby galled » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:07 am

I think anyone forcing their opinions on all children are violations of the parents rights. :)

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby I Shall Engrave » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:57 am

An infant cannot consent to being circumcised. There is no evidence that it is beneficial to a child's health. And it has been disproved that circumcision prevents sexually transmitted diseases. However, I believe that an adult with reasoning who wants to go through with the procedure should be able to.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:13 pm

I'd rather see circumcision performed in the confounds of a hospital environment for safety sake then in a home performed where there have been reports of babies getting herpes simplex because the Rabbi performing the ceremony had a cold sore and apparently "Spitting" is part of the ritual. Am I against male circumcision? NO. Am I against female circumcision, YES. Am I for regulations on how male circumcision is performed? Yes! Do I believe parents should have the right to decide taken away, NO. Once it was automatic but now parents can discuss it with their Doctor and decide for themselves.So no I don't think it should be mandatory but yes I think it should be allowed.

I have heard of other rituals in other cultures that I would say should not be allowed. Male circumcision has a viable reason, especially if there is a genetic reason to having it done. Better as a baby then an adult, an adult takes much longer to heal and has a higher risk of infection occurring. Circumcision may not prevent the transmittal of disease but it can prevent/inhibit the harboring of bacteria which can lead to disease and then disease being transmitted. I have never seen any evidence that it is harmful to a child's health.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 am

Postby I Shall Engrave » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:25 pm

If it makes anyone uncomfortable, I can ask to have this removed. I'm not having a baby or personally affected by this; I was only having a conversation with someone on the subject and wanted to get other opinions.

There are actually laws in the United States against female circumcision. If it is unacceptable to alter a girl's genitals, what makes it acceptable to do it to a boy?The foreskin is a healthy, natural part of a child's body, and it serves the function of protecting a part of the penis (called the glans) from infections.

I support circumcision in the event where it is critical to a child's health.

Postby Axiom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:46 pm

I don't agree with parents forcing religious views on their children at all, especially not when their views cause adverse effects on mental or physical health. For instance, Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in blood transfusions, so if the child of a Jehovah's Witness needed a blood transfusion and the parent refused treatment on religious grounds, I would consider this a violation of the child's right to be healthy.

Most studies on circumcision show that it has minor health benefits and is a generally safe procedure. But it is not medically necessary, and it is a type of permanent body mutilation, and in that sense, it's comparable to giving your young child a tattoo. It might not be bad for them, technically, but as Engrave said, they can't give consent and I personally don't think it should be up to a child's parents what permanent changes are made to their body. Those changes can be made later when the child is old enough to give consent.

Postby Lime » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:00 am

I appreciate your offer to have this removed if need-be. It's not offensive, and a surprising common topic now that health concerns are becoming more mainstream.

I think the parent should be able to have the choice to, as long as they do have a legitimate (and good) reason why it should be done. Religious reasons have me iffy, I don't know if I agree with that- the child could grow up and decide they don't want to follow that religion.

Regardless, if they do it anyways, at least as an infant and in a sterile hospital. I watched a documentary about some cultures in the East that actually force it on young boys when they're like, 13? It's part of the process of becoming a man in a lot of cultures- that part would scare the bejeebers out of me.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 am

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Return to Hinterland