Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

believe it or not:the scent of space

Moderator: Ryvvi

believe it or not:the scent of space

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:05 pm

This thread is for stuff/info that you find interesting or odd or funny... just keep it family friendly

Check this out - giant SNAILS the size of your foot invade Florida!!

"giant African land snail, an invasive species with no natural predators that lives up to nine years and can grow to eight inches long. An adult can lay as many as 1,200 eggs in a year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/giant-snail ... g-florida/

they can even eat the stucco and plaster on your house! I never knew sssnails this big existed... a throw back from prehistoric dinosaur days? Anyone ever seen one?!?

New believe it or not: Phone drops 9300 feet and still works!Godd thing he didn't drop it in the water!

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/apple/man-f ... op-n401716

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 am

Re: believe it or not...

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Terrorizing? Those pictures didn't depict them being the size of a foot. They looked half the size of someone's foot, unless you're talking a child here. Lol.

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 am

Postby Dragon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:11 am

Those are so cute! I would probably have a few as pets and feed them lettuce and vegetables or whatever snails eat! :heart:

Postby Hocus Pocus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:42 am

I'd like one as a pet. They're cute.

Postby I Shall Engrave » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:42 am

I also think they're cute. I don't know what they eat.

I went to high school with a guy who had all sorts of giant insect pets - spiders, scorpions, millipedes, even cockroaches the length of your middle finger.

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:56 am

Cockroaches the size of a middle finger? o-o oh, goodness, I would not want to see those.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:34 pm

Apparently the snails eat the stucco off your house and the plaster off you walls for calcium for their shells, otherwise grass and other vegetation.

But 1200 babies year is an awful lot of mouths to feed!

Postby Dragon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:52 pm

I Shall Engrave That sounds terrifying to be honest. I'm not the biggest fan of insects, but I think snails are cute. :heart:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:14 pm

I am not a bug fan myself. I saw some big cockroaches in Hawaii that I am fine doing without! Saw a beetle flying around that was the size of a hummingbird - i n fact that is what I thought it was at first.

The shells on these giant snails actually look quite pretty from the photos though.Not sure why they did not show us an actual photo of a snail that is the size of a person's foot though.I 'll have to find the photo of the centipede that was the size of a broom brush that was in Florida...maybe I don't want to go to Florida!

Postby galled » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:23 pm

They may be cute one or a couple at a time. But when they're in the thousands, well, anything can become scary in mass numbers!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:36 am

I agree!

New : phone dropped from plane still works!

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/apple/man-f ... op-n401716

[+] SPOILER
Incredibly, the phone was in perfect working order with only a few scratches on the corners. The screen was intact, the phone still made calls and all other features worked as usual. Wilson had encased the iPhone in a protective case with an external battery pack, which was the only piece that snapped off in the fall and couldn't be found.

Wilson is "amazed" his iPhone is working fine after the 9,300-foot plunge, which he and Kidwell verified by checking his altitude over Joplin via the flight-tracking site FlightAware

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:12 pm

NEW: Ugliest Fish? Most Hoffifying Fish?

http://www.newser.com/story/210931/meet ... cience_rel

[+] SPOILER
It seems like every time humans venture to the ocean's depths, they return with a terrifying new type of fish; and the recently discovered Lasiognathus regan is certainly no exception. CNN describes the new species of anglerfish as looking like a "hunchbacked, rotting, old shoe with spikes, a scraggly mustache and a big mouth with bad teeth." Far be it for us to try to top that description, but here we go anyway: It looks like a turkey leg that decided to bite you back after watching Mad Max: Fury Road and your own nightmares for inspiration. Like other anglerfish, this new species uses a long growth on the top of its head to lure other fish toward its jaws.

Three females were discovered by researchers in the Gulf of Mexico at depths between 3,280 and 4,921 feet in what is known as the midnight zone because of its lack of light. Male anglerfish are apparently harder to come by as they are smaller than females (the females caught were less than 4 inches long) and bite their way into the female's side to live as a parasitic growth. According to the Washington Post, the three specimens, which are more elongated and less round than other anglerfish, will now live at the University of Washington, where they can spend their days horrifying graduate students. They certainly won't be the last bizarre fish to come from the depths, as the Post reports humans have explored less than 2% of the ocean floor.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:23 pm

Watch the supermoon (blood moon) lunar eclipse on Sunday or you won't see another until 2033 !

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/wa ... 33-n433866

Postby Maro » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:41 am

Oh my gods I can't wait for tomorrow night!

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 pm

Art by - ciel

Re: believe it or not... cleaning your electronics

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Who listens to Kim Kamando? Here is an article from her on how to clean your smartphone,tablet,t.v. and computer.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/09/25/ ... -computer/

[+] SPOILER
When was the last time you really looked at the glass covering your smartphone screen? If you do, you'll probably see a collection of oily fingerprints, dead skin or makeup from holding it up to your face, maybe some dust or flecks of spit from holding it near your face at lunch ... any number of other gross things, really.

Just think; you touch that screen hundreds of times a day. You also probably don't want to consider the state of your tablet screen, eReader screen or computer keyboard and mouse.

It isn't just the gross factor, either. Dust, dirt and other contaminants can clog up gadgets - especially computers. This leads to overheating, which can slow down your electronics or cause permanent damage.

Don't forget flu and allergy seasons, either. Dirty electronics are a breeding ground for germs and bacteria - especially if you share a gadget with kids. And when you're out and about, pollen can stick to a messy gadget and travel indoors with you.

Have we totally grossed you out yet? Good. Before you dunk your gadget in boiling water, though, let me tell you how to clean it without ruining it.

Handy hint: If you ever do drop your gadget in water, watch this video to learn how to salvage it.

Whether you're trying to clean a computer, smartphone, tablet, HDTV or any tech gadget, you just need to follow a few easy steps. Reminder: Whenever you're cleaning a gadget, make sure it's turned off and unplugged.

Screens

Let's start with gadgets that have screens, which covers smartphones, tablets, eReaders, TVs and monitors. The best thing to clean a screen is a microfiber cloth, which is soft and won't scratch the screen. Don't use regular paper towels because these can cause scratches and nicks.

Need microfiber clothes? We sell them in the the Komando Shop, and they even have Kim's picture on them. Click here to take a peek.

Most dirt and debris will just wipe away, but for more stubborn smudges and fingerprints, lightly dampen the cloth with distilled water. Don't pour the water directly on the screen.

Some people mix the water in a 1-to-1 ratio with white vinegar or rubbing alcohol for a deeper clean. Note: Don't use glass cleaner on a computer screen or TV because many brands contain ammonia, which can ruin the screen surface.

You can use the above tips to clean a DSLR lens, but make sure you're extremely careful. Before you use cloths or liquids, try using a bulb syringe or other low-powered air blower to blow away the dust. I sell a great camera cleaning kit in my shop right here.

Cases

A microfiber cloth works to clean the body of your gadget, too. However, a cotton swab does an even better job and can clean gunk out of the corners of the case or any open ports. If you're dealing with a keyboard, make sure you swab between each key.

If the swab itself doesn't do the job, rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol is a good cleaner. Dampen the swab and go to town. Even though rubbing alcohol dries quickly, don't let it pool because it might leak into the interior. If it does, you'll need to wait 15 minutes or so before turning on the gadget to make sure it's evaporated.

Cotton swabs also work great for cleaning a computer keyboard and the various ports and openings in the computer case. Some people use a can of compressed air for this task. Use the air can when you need to get rid of lots of loose buildup and save the swabs for sticky gunk and detail work.

Where compressed air really shines is cleaning out your laptop or desktop. If you're afraid to open up your computer, you can simply spray the air into the fan's exhaust vent.

Spray in quick bursts to prevent your computer's fans from spinning too fast. Excessive spinning can damage them. You can also stick a pencil or pen between the blades as you spray to prevent it from spinning.

Bonus tip: Run over frequently touched surfaces periodically with disinfectant wipes to kill germs. Keep some handy during flu season for keyboards and mice and use them either first thing in the day or before any new person starts using the gadget.

Computer Interiors

Opening up your computer allows you get an even deeper clean and get rid of dust and hair that can cause overheating. You should do this at least very six months. If you live in a dusty environment like Phoenix, or have pets, ever few months might be better.

As always, when working inside a computer, static electricity is your enemy. Be sure to ground yourself before putting your hands near any electrical components. You can do this by occasionally touching the case or power supply, or buy a static wrist guard.

Once the computer is open, you can wipe down the case and any non-electrical parts - including fans, the power supply casing and optical drives - with a dry cloth. Use microfiber or paper towel, it doesn't matter.

When it comes to electrical components, such as the motherboard, RAM and any add-on cards, I recommend using compressed air. Again, brace any interior fans so they don't spin too fast and get damaged.

When it's time to blast with air, we strongly recommend goggles and a dust mask, especially if the inside of your computer looks like this dust trap. Definitely do your cleaning in a well-ventilated outdoor area, like a porch or backyard. You can also have a vacuum cleaner on hand to pick up loose dust or pull it out of the air.

For stubborn or built-up dust areas, a paper towel can work, just be very careful not to push too hard and damage parts on the circuit board. Don't use anything cloth-based because it might have built up static electricity. Also, don't use cotton swabs because they catch on circuit board components and leave cotton fibers.

Kim Komando hosts the nation's largest radio show about the digital lifestyle, heard on 435 stations in the USA and globally on American Forces Radio. Find your local radio station, read more digital news, get the podcast and more at Komando.com.

Next

Return to Hinterland