Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

believe it or not:the scent of space

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: believe it or not:coat hook nanny cams

Postby Gingerale » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:28 pm

well there are cameras used for medical testing that up close see clearly, I wonder if that is the same technology. Or what about those cameras hidden in door bells?

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 6:44 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:19 am

Well, I did look around in the public bathroom the other day...it's just the thought of my privacy being invaded

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 7:44 am

Postby Dipper » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:13 am

Huh, interesting..

Hey, you should google if "Elementary, my dear Watson," was ever canon in the Sherlock Holmes books :wink:

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 4:44 pm

Ne/Nem/Nir/Nirs/Nemself
They/Them/Theirs/Themselves

Not really set in stone...still confused

If you need me, please look for me here:
https://discord.gg/bRwhnFz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 pm

hmm I haven't read the Sherlock Holmes books in so long I wouldn't have known. I'll have to check it out!

Postby Dipper » Mon May 29, 2017 5:04 am

I can't remember how I came across what I read lol. I think I was just browsing randomly XD

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 4:44 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon May 29, 2017 9:48 am

but that is how we find the best tidbits!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:08 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/underwater- ... ulf-coast/

"It's believed to be the world's only preserved coastal Ice Age forest, long hidden beneath the sea.

Cypress trees should decompose on a 10,000 year time scale — suggesting that, at this particular site, the cypress has survived much longer thanks to low-oxygen sediments that bar bacteria from decomposing the wood, DeLong explained"
"The cypress forest dates back to an Ice Age more than 60,000 years ago when sea levels were 400 feet lower than today, according to the new documentary "The Underwater Forest," made by environmental reporter and filmmaker Ben Raines. "

Re: believe it or not: climate change existed 60,000 yrs ago

Postby Gingerale » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:04 pm

60,000 years ago or so, there were tropics where there is now cold, forests where there are now deserts. I wish I could go back in time and see that.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:49 pm

apparently the glaciers are melting in mile measurements now instead of feet measurements and the fresh water is diluting the ocean water in Alaska so that some of the fish that need a higher concentration of salt are dying off. (That is what a lady I know, who just came back from a cruise to Alaska, told me today - she was traveling with environmentalists)

Postby Akuyi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:57 am

All I can say to climate change is this:

Earth Temperature Timeline

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 3:44 pm

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:17 am

As i read the title, i was like, "of course it did. The earth went through two ice ages."

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 9:44 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:41 am

omg Akuyi, that is pretty clever

I have to say with temperatures warming up, harsher storm systems historical artifacts are coming to the surface and scientists/archaeologists are having a hayday with the newfound "treasures". I personally want to know what is hiding under some of those glaciers. And maybe our oceans need to be diluted a bit with all the toxins and garbage we throw into them.

[+] SPOILER
I guess I'm in the group that believes that the polar areas are warming up (as they have done in the past) and if you want to stop people from polluting then target it as something other then global warming.

How about focusing on the toxicology angle and basic survival, that applies and appeals to everyone...what!? I won't have any uncontaminated food to eat!?!? We'll have to turn to soylent green!?!? (food made from humans). What do you mean my drinking water could kill me with parasites and chemicals!?!? And cities better start working on some giant air filters if they want to breathe...and that doesn't mean it won't go floating over to where you are because the same air molecules cycles around and around the globe ( didn't you know you are breathing some of the same air molecules that Alexander the Great breathed?). Just because we can't see things doesn't mean its not there, and I think that is our biggest obstacle to overcome for people to realize that there is a pollution problem.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 pm

Plastic Fibers in 94% of our drinking water!

[+] SPOILER
Some 83% of tap water samples collected from over a dozen countries on five continents tested positive for microplastic, according to a study commissioned by data journalism outlet Orb. The specific rate of prevalence in different locales varied, but all tested locations — from Europe to Jakarta and Beirut — saw plastic found in over 70% of tap water samples.

In the U.S., researchers found that 94% of all water samples — including tap water from places like Trump Tower and the Environmental Protection Agency’s headquarters — were contaminated by plastic. http://www.travelandleisure.com/syndica ... ater-study

These microscopic fragments enter the water system in multiple ways, reports Orb, from synthetic fiber clothing to tire dust and microbeads, as well as the fragmenting of larger pieces of plastic, which for the most part is non-biodegradable.

Re: believe it or not:Plastic fibers in our drinking water

Postby Gingerale » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:57 pm

It looks like microfilters can be put on our home drinking water systems and also on the washing machine, so that should help.

Re: believe it or not:Plastic fibers in our drinking water

Postby Watery Star » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Micro-beads from face scrubs and body washes are part of the problem. They've been made illegal in some parts of the world due to the not being biodegradable.

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 9:44 am

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland